RE: [hr100] Hardrock Hundred Cancellation

  • Ginny La Forme
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 26, 2002
      Dale, John and all,
      I appreciate the tough decision you had to make and thanks to you all
      for doing all the great work for us. I will really miss seeing all my
      HRH buddies from around the world this year, but I feel there was no
      alternative.
      I wonder if anyone knows the status of the Primal Quest Adventure
      Race @ Telluride, set for the same time frame as HRH?
      Thanks again
      Ginny La Forme

      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 26, 2002
        Dale, John, Kris, et al.
        I know this was tough decision for you all. It is a heartbreaker for the
        runners but, you all did the right thing. I hope the rains come soon.
        Happy Trails
        Joe

      • Rich Limacher
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 26, 2002
          Gawd NOOOOOOOO !!!!!!!!!!!

          Say it ain't so, Joe!

          Rich "TerrorShook" Limacher
          TheTroubadour@...

          Yankee Folly, etc.:
          I sent my previous message without going online first and
          reading all these other messages!

          WHAT IS GOING ON OUT THERE????????

          (I'm packing my van today and leaving tomorrow for
          Silverton!)

          > I know this was tough decision for you all. It is a
          heartbreaker for the
          > runners but, you all did the right thing. I hope the
          rains come soon.
          > Happy Trails
          > Joe

        • Steve Pero
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 26, 2002
            Deb and I just cancelled our reservations...Dale, tough decision, but a good
            one...

            Hope to see you all out there next year, best of luck with the fire....we
            pray for rain!
            Steve and Deb Pero
            Jaffrey, NH

          • kernkt@cybermesa.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 26, 2002
              According to some of the entrants, Primal Quest is still on. Start is
              July 3, I think. I wonder, with 70 4-person teams, are they providing
              their own search and rescue, etc? I think Dales point about not
              adding any potential demand on emergency personnel is one of the
              biggest reasons not to hold an event.

              Kris

            • jan gnass
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 27, 2002
                Dale, John and HR board members,

                This must have been a very tough decision but it was for sure a very prudent
                one. I'm betting the Forest managers and fire management people will be
                very appreciative of this effort as it will surely simplify their task at
                hand. What they don't need is more fires and exposures to worry about.
                Thanks for your hard work.
                See you all next year.

                Jan Gnass
> [...]
                > Currently there are no plans for the HRH to take an active role in fire
                > mitigation efforts. However, if there are any Hardrockers out there who
                > will be in the area and who may want to volunteer for the myriad of jobs
                > associated with fighting these fires, please contact RD Dale Garland and
                > he will put you in touch with the appropriate agencies.
                > The HRH BOD and run management are evaluating how this will affect
                > entries into the 2003 run and we will make an announcement shortly as to
                > how we will handle this. What we do know is that 2002 entrants will have
                > a chance to roll over their entries to the 2003 run.
                > As some of these decisions are made we will post them to both of these
                > lists as well as the HRH homepage (www.run100s.com/HR). If you have any
                > questions, concerns or comments, please feel free to contact either of
                > us. We look forward to seeing you in 2003.

              • Roger Wiegand
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 29, 2002
                  Dale,

                  I'm so sorry that this has happened after all the hard work you and the
                  other race committee members have put in on the run. Even though I had
                  to drop out this year, my thoughts would have been with all the runners
                  and volunteers. I hope that the San Juans will eventually recover from
                  the brutal effects of the fires and that the HRH will again be the most
                  beautiful run in the world.

                  Best,

                  Roger

                • HD.weisshaar@T-Online.DE
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 29, 2002
                    Friends,

                    the first schock hit me in Governor Basin on Wednesday noon, when the
                    Turners reported the cancellation. Sadness, emptiness, not meeting the
                    friends, no run.

                    The second schock came an hour later: NO SNOW at Virginius!

                    And there is almost no snow at Oscar's and just a finger thick running
                    water in Porcupine! Dry.

                    I met Lisa yesterday and told her: Can you imagine, what would happen
                    with the future of the race if the the run produces a new fire and
                    kills trees, plants, animals, maybe humans.

                    Susi and I are still sad and recovering just very slowly, but the
                    decicion of the board is a must and inevitable.
                    See all of you next year at the latest.

                    Hans und Susi
                  • Kris
                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 1, 2002
                      Ginny,

                      so are you going out to Ed's run? What is your plan? I need to decide
                      this week if I'm going there or PD.

                      Kris