Ride from Durango to Silverton?

  • keithknipling
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 24, 2002
      Like many of us, I am concerned about the status of the fires out
      West. I heard last night that the Durango-Silverton Narrow Gauge
      Railroad was shut down due to the Missionary Ridge fire near
      Durango. I found a local news website that has up to date maps of
      the fire here:

      http://www.9news.com/storyfull.asp?id=3644

      It seems that the fire is fairly well confined, and Silverton is not
      in immediate danger. Let us hope.

      On a related note, my dad, Gary, and I are arriving in Durango on
      Saturday. We are not renting a car; instead, we were relying on the
      train to get us to Silverton. Now that that is not a viable option,
      does anyone have any tips on how to get to Silverton? See everyone
      in a few weeks!
    • Gordon Hardman
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 25, 2002
        Keith,

        There are buses taking tourists up to Silverton still. You should check
        with the Durango COC.

        Gordon

        keithknipling wrote:

        > Like many of us, I am concerned about the status of the fires out
        > West. I heard last night that the Durango-Silverton Narrow Gauge
        > Railroad was shut down due to the Missionary Ridge fire near
        > Durango. I found a local news website that has up to date maps of
        > the fire here:
        >
        > http://www.9news.com/storyfull.asp?id=3644
        >

        > It seems that the fire is fairly well confined, and Silverton is not
        > in immediate danger. Let us hope.
        >

        > On a related note, my dad, Gary, and I are arriving in Durango on
        > Saturday. We are not renting a car; instead, we were relying on the
        > train to get us to Silverton. Now that that is not a viable option,
        > does anyone have any tips on how to get to Silverton? See everyone
        > in a few weeks!
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        Gordon Hardman

        V.P., Chief Technical Officer email:
        geh@...
        CrossLink Inc. phone:
        303.473.9232 x101
        6185 Arapahoe Ave. fax:
        303.473.9660
        Boulder, CO 80303 W├śRUN

        we shall go
        Always a little further: it may be
        Beyond the last blue mountain barred with snow,
        Across that angry or that glimmering sea

        James Elroy Flecker "The Golden Journey to Samarkand"