Hardrock Update

  • dale garland
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 21, 2002
      It's good to see the lively discussion about both the relative
      importance of running the D&SNGG train to Silverton and the role of
      natural disasters in determining run directors policy. I'll leave both
      discussions open to the lists and continue to enjoy reading the debate.
      Now on to the matters at hand. Obviously most of you know that the
      Missionary Ridge fire continues to grow, now over 58,000 acres. I spent
      all of yesterday at the command center helping give out food to the
      firefighters and learned beaucoup about the inner workings of this fire.
      I came away truly amazed at the level of spohistication and expertise in
      which fighting this fire is being conducted.
      Safety has and continues to be the primary focus of the firefighters
      and public land officials. As of 6 p.m. today there has been no
      published decision as to whether or not close the forest lands around
      the Durango and Silverton areas. If and when a decision is made, the HRH
      will abide and accept the decision of the forestry officials. So . . .
      as of today we are still looking forward to seeing many of you in
      Silverton but say so with a degree of caution.
      When I hear any thing further you'll be sure to know.
      Dale Garland
      RD, HRH
      P.S. We had 10 minutes of rain today!!! Hey it's a start!!
    • Stevan Pattillo
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 24, 2002
        First things first, Is there any way we can blame all this on Dale?
        SP
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 22, 2008
          Hi Hardrockers,

          I have been fielding some e-mails about the snow levels on the course
          and whether or not we will be canceling this years Hardrock. Traditionally, we
          have looked at the snow levels, rate of snow melt, etc around Memorial Day and
          make a decision. This year we will be getting together a week earlier (5/18)
          to look at everything.
          Stay Tuned!
          Dale

          P.S. From the accu-window weather station out Lois MacKenzie's window in
          Silverton.... she can actually see rocks poking through the snow!
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 17, 2008
            Hi Hardrockers,
            The snow is falling in the San Juans. Some media reports have Silverton
            Mountain Ski Area receiving over 55" of snow this week. Our accu-window
            weather forecaster and Aid Station Director, Lois MacKenzie, says the amounts
            are a bit less in town.
            The 2009 entry is now available. A special thanks to Charlie Thorn for
            getting it all put together. Please remember that we will begin accepting
            applications after Jan. 1 and the lottery will be in early Feb. IF YOU MAIL
            YOUR ENTRY ON JAN 1 OR ON JAN 21 IT WILL BE TREATED THE SAME. Please do not
            spend extra $ on sending it overnight (unless you wait until the end of
            January to get it to us). I will post a list of entries received as I get
            them. There may be a lag of a few days between when your application arrives
            in Silverton and I process it in Durango.
            Attached is an article that appeared about 15 year HRH volunteer Jim
            Lewin. Thanks again to HRH Merchandise Coordinator Heidi Schutt for sharing it
            with us The last medical reports we have indicates that he is getting better
            but still a long way from being able to leave the hospital. If you'd like to
            drop him a line to wish him well you can do so by going to
            www.caringbridge.org/visit/jimlewin
            We hope all is well with you and are looking forward to seeing your
            application soon!

            Dale and the HRH "crew"

          • Lois MacKenzie
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 18, 2008
              It is snowing so hard visibility is down to about 75 yards! And the feet are adding up! Steve Kral is still rooming with me and what a blessing that has been! The shed is full of wood and yesterday he trained for HRH 2009 by dragging a 12 foot Christmas tree in from Cement Creek drainage. He asked if I had seen the movie "The Mission." This of course in all this new snow.

              Keep in Touch,
              LMac