Firestorm of Controversy!

  • Rich Limacher
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 21, 2002
      (I love it.)

      Free and heated debate is what makes democracy work. I am
      so glad we don't live under a dictator.

      And, in similar fashion, I am ever and increasingly more
      grateful that no one who's fired back responses to my ass is
      a dictator either.

      Friends,

      Let me clarify my position and bias.

      I'm on the side of the train maybe because I've been to
      ghost towns. (In fact, there's one on the Leadville
      course.) If Silverton becomes a ghost town, I honestly
      believe we could kiss Hardrock good-bye. Maybe this is a
      needless fear, judging from the levels of grit and
      determination I find among our supporters who live there,
      but I also believe that many years ago there were parents
      and grandparents who had similar fears about mining.

      But mostly, I think, I'm on the side of the train because my
      grandfather was a steam locomotive engineer. I don't
      believe his railroad ever started a forest fire. Of course,
      on the other hand, I'm also thinking that a lot of the
      poisonous stuff they used to use to keep the track areas
      clear of vegetation has since been outlawed by the E.P.A.
      So, what do we do? I don't know. But I am not in favor of
      stopping trains. Or planes. I might not even be here if my
      grandfather had not found work.

      That said, here's more of what I believe:

      Yes, we can run our footrace in the middle of nowhere
      without any nearby town to support it.

      But no, I don't like to see the lives of honest workers
      ruined by policy dictated by any political interests that
      don't have honest work at heart.

      Yes, I understand that the D&SNGRR decided to stop operating
      voluntarily. And yes, I also understand the sometimes shady
      make-a-buck rationale behind management policies (e.g.,
      cheaper to pay for forest fires than clear brush from the
      tracks). But, no, I'm not going to change my mind and urge
      that the train stops permanently. If the railroad people
      are willing to pause until the heat blows over, that's fine.

      But if any other unrelated folk beyond the borders want to
      dictate such arbitrary policy on a regular basis, I'll fight
      them to the ends of the earth.

      I believe in self rule.

      I rule myself, and I expect everyone else to do likewise.

      So, if indeed the tinder is much too dry, let those who
      depend on the fireplace decide not to light it.

      It's OK. I'm not mad. Not even at the writer (kept
      anonymous) who sent me the message I've appended below.

      Sorry also if you're all thinking that I'm thinking there
      must be a government conspiracy. Personally, in this case,
      I'm thinking the government is too stupid to come up with a
      conspiracy that quick. But I'm not so naive to think our
      government is incapable of mapping one out over time.

      If you think railroad managers think it's cheaper to let
      forests burn than to clean up their tracks, you may also be
      willing to believe it's better to allow a foreign country to
      attack our harbor than it is to stay out of a world war.

      So here's why I don't generally trust government as a matter
      of course: It's usually made up of too many people who
      think like that.

      Generally, I trust the press not the government. I have
      worked for a few newspapers. I studied journalism in
      school. On the umpteenth anniversary of "Watergate" this
      month, I said a prayer of thanks for the Washington Post.

      Okay, back to reading the Durango Herald.

      And, lordy, I certainly do still hope and pray that our
      government decides NOT to stop our runs through such, yes,
      admittedly dry woods.

      Very cautiously and suspiciously yours,

      Rich Limacher
      TheTroubadour@...

      [here below is a pearl of reasoning that even I could never
      imagine--coming from a fellow ultrarunner, that is]
      __________________________________

      Rich - You obviously don't know much about trains or fires.
      Devestating
      fires out here have been caused by many people who were
      unable to simply
      "stop, hop off, and put the lousy spark out." If only it
      were that easy. In
      addition, nobody is forcing the railroad to stop at this
      point; as I
      understand it, the issue is simply being debated by the
      newspaper and other
      interested parties. Quit trying to find evidence of some
      gov'mnt conspiracy
      when there is none.

      And if they cancel Hard Rock this year, who cares? Leadville
      is my main goal
      for the year, but if they must cancel the race due to fire
      danger, so be it.
      You need to start looking at the big picture.
    • Kris
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 21, 2002
        At 02:30 PM 6/21/2002 -0500, Rich Limacher wrote:

        >Okay, back to reading the Durango Herald.

        Did you read it today? See the article about how people are driving to
        Silverton anyway and seem to be staying longer.

        Kris
      • cappis
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 21, 2002
          Rich et al.

          The Dever Post had an article on Thursday relating to the train
          closure between Durango and Silverton.... The topic was that the
          previous day resources were diverted from the Missionary Ridge Fire
          to put out a fire started by sparks from the train. It was shortly
          after that the train annouced it would limit the runs to the Durango-
          Hermosa route.

          John