Re: [hr100] Specious

  • jfiala@cabq.gov
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 20, 2002
      I am with you Tom. I spent last weekend in Wiminuche Wilderness and I had a
      close encounter with Mission Ridge fire. Rich from Illinois will change
      his opinion very quickly once he arrives to Colorado.

      Jan Fiala
      Corrales, New Mexico

      Liz n Tom
      <runtrails@theg To: "'Hardrock List'" <hr100@yahoogroups.com>
      . lobal.net> cc:
      Subject: [hr100] Specious
      06/20/02 04:32
      PM
      Please respond
      to hr100

      I am totally opposed to putting public pressure on anybody to keep that
      steam locomotive running. Two years ago Montana had a terrible fire
      season. At least two fires, if not more, were started out in our great
      plains by trains. Those fires destroyed one small town and several farms.
      I am sure the train crew would have hopped out and extinguished the sparks
      had they known they existed before the sparks turned into rampaging,
      uncontrollable fires. The train we are talking about is old fashioned and
      steam powered. Who knows what additional potential there is for sparks?
      As dry as the forest obviously is in Colorado, I think we potentially do
      more damage by keeping the train running. What if it does start a fire?
      My guess is that would be more likely to close the HR100 then a
      slippery-slope argument of closing one thing and more will follow. I am
      sorry about the effect on the Silverton economy but I bet they would rather
      keep their town then keep the few tourists the!
      train brings in. BTW, how in the world to you compare fire hazards in
      your garage to one chugging through the midst of the forest during the
      driest spring in a very long time?

      Tom Hayes
      Bozeman, Montana