Specious

  • Liz n Tom
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 20 3:32 PM
      I am totally opposed to putting public pressure on anybody to keep that steam locomotive running. Two years ago Montana had a terrible fire season. At least two fires, if not more, were started out in our great plains by trains. Those fires destroyed one small town and several farms. I am sure the train crew would have hopped out and extinguished the sparks had they known they existed before the sparks turned into rampaging, uncontrollable fires. The train we are talking about is old fashioned and steam powered. Who knows what additional potential there is for sparks? As dry as the forest obviously is in Colorado, I think we potentially do more damage by keeping the train running. What if it does start a fire? My guess is that would be more likely to close the HR100 then a slippery-slope argument of closing one thing and more will follow. I am sorry about the effect on the Silverton economy but I bet they would rather keep their town then keep the few tourists the train brings in. BTW, how in the world to you compare fire hazards in your garage to one chugging through the midst of the forest during the driest spring in a very long time?

      Tom Hayes
      Bozeman, Montana
    • jfiala@cabq.gov
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 20 3:47 PM
        I am with you Tom. I spent last weekend in Wiminuche Wilderness and I had a
        close encounter with Mission Ridge fire. Rich from Illinois will change
        his opinion very quickly once he arrives to Colorado.

        Jan Fiala
        Corrales, New Mexico

        Liz n Tom
        <runtrails@theg To: "'Hardrock List'" <hr100@yahoogroups.com>