Re: [hr100] Camping restrictions in Hardrock area

  • Gordon Hardman
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 20, 2002
      A reminder- there are a couple places in the Lake City area too. While
      you have Cinnamon Pass between you and the rest of the course, there is
      a beautiful "hosted" FS campground along the east side of Lake San
      Cristobal. There is usually camping in the Sherman area, but this is not
      a "developed" site (no individual spots, no CG host), so presumably a
      no-no. There are a few commercial RV camgrounds, most of these will
      allow you to put up a tent if you pay for a site....There are no
      commercial tent-camping type operations in Hinsdale County.

      Gordon

      "Blake P. Wood" wrote:

      > Yesterday, camping restrictions were announced for the USFS and BLM
      > lands around Hardrock. "Dispersed camping", that is, camping anywhere
      > you want along the roads, is banned. Camping is only allowed in
      > "developed campgrounds staffed by an on-duty host". The announcement
      > can be found at
      > http://wildfires.nwcg.gov/missionary/newsreleases/closure_061902.html.
      > However, according to Lisa Richardson (aid station coordinator, BLM
      > employee, and Hardrock entrant) this ban will not cause problems for
      > our aid stations.
      >
      > If (like me) you had planned to camp out before Hardrock, you might
      > want to reevaluate your plans. I'm sure that the South Mineral Creek
      > campground, which is usually very full, will not have any spots
      > available, what with the 50 or so cars/campers that usually camp along
      > Mineral Creek having to find somewhere else to go. Hotel space is
      > already very tight.
      >
      > - Blake
      >
      > Blake P. Wood
      > Group X-2, Thermonuclear Applications, MS-B220,
      > Los Alamos Nat'l Lab, Los Alamos NM 87545
      > (505) 665-6524 Fax: (505) 665-2227 bwood@...
      > http://microserf.lanl.gov/bpw/bpwplan.html

      Gordon Hardman

      V.P., Chief Technical Officer email:
      geh@...
      CrossLink Inc. phone:
      303.473.9232 x101
      6185 Arapahoe Ave. fax:
      303.473.9660
      Boulder, CO 80303 W├śRUN

      we shall go
      Always a little further: it may be
      Beyond the last blue mountain barred with snow,
      Across that angry or that glimmering sea

      James Elroy Flecker "The Golden Journey to Samarkand"