Camping restrictions in Hardrock area

  • Blake P. Wood
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 20 8:41 AM
      Yesterday, camping restrictions were announced for the USFS and BLM lands around Hardrock. "Dispersed camping", that is, camping anywhere you want along the roads, is banned. Camping is only allowed in "developed campgrounds staffed by an on-duty host". The announcement can be found at http://wildfires.nwcg.gov/missionary/newsreleases/closure_061902.html. However, according to Lisa Richardson (aid station coordinator, BLM employee, and Hardrock entrant) this ban will not cause problems for our aid stations.

      If (like me) you had planned to camp out before Hardrock, you might want to reevaluate your plans. I'm sure that the South Mineral Creek campground, which is usually very full, will not have any spots available, what with the 50 or so cars/campers that usually camp along Mineral Creek having to find somewhere else to go. Hotel space is already very tight.

      - Blake

      Blake P. Wood
      Group X-2, Thermonuclear Applications, MS-B220,
      Los Alamos Nat'l Lab, Los Alamos NM 87545
      (505) 665-6524 Fax: (505) 665-2227 bwood@...
      http://microserf.lanl.gov/bpw/bpwplan.html
    • Gordon Hardman
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 20 9:34 AM
        A reminder- there are a couple places in the Lake City area too. While
        you have Cinnamon Pass between you and the rest of the course, there is
        a beautiful "hosted" FS campground along the east side of Lake San
        Cristobal. There is usually camping in the Sherman area, but this is not
        a "developed" site (no individual spots, no CG host), so presumably a
        no-no. There are a few commercial RV camgrounds, most of these will
        allow you to put up a tent if you pay for a site....There are no
        commercial tent-camping type operations in Hinsdale County.

        Gordon

        "Blake P. Wood" wrote:

        > Yesterday, camping restrictions were announced for the USFS and BLM
        > lands around Hardrock. "Dispersed camping", that is, camping anywhere
        > you want along the roads, is banned. Camping is only allowed in
        > "developed campgrounds staffed by an on-duty host". The announcement
        > can be found at
        > http://wildfires.nwcg.gov/missionary/newsreleases/closure_061902.html.
        > However, according to Lisa Richardson (aid station coordinator, BLM
        > employee, and Hardrock entrant) this ban will not cause problems for
        > our aid stations.
        >
        > If (like me) you had planned to camp out before Hardrock, you might
        > want to reevaluate your plans. I'm sure that the South Mineral Creek
        > campground, which is usually very full, will not have any spots
        > available, what with the 50 or so cars/campers that usually camp along
        > Mineral Creek having to find somewhere else to go. Hotel space is
        > already very tight.
        >
        > - Blake
        >
        > Blake P. Wood
        > Group X-2, Thermonuclear Applications, MS-B220,
        > Los Alamos Nat'l Lab, Los Alamos NM 87545
        > (505) 665-6524 Fax: (505) 665-2227 bwood@...
        > http://microserf.lanl.gov/bpw/bpwplan.html

        Gordon Hardman

        V.P., Chief Technical Officer email:
        geh@...
        CrossLink Inc. phone:
        303.473.9232 x101
        6185 Arapahoe Ave. fax:
        303.473.9660
        Boulder, CO 80303 W├śRUN

        we shall go
        Always a little further: it may be
        Beyond the last blue mountain barred with snow,
        Across that angry or that glimmering sea

        James Elroy Flecker "The Golden Journey to Samarkand"