Hardrock Hundred and Fire

  • dale garland
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 12, 2002
      I have received many calls regarding the status of the Hardrock Hundred
      with regards to the fires in Colo. At present, the major fires that are
      burning are in the Denver area which is 6 hours from Silverton.
      That is not to say that we are not dealing with our own. We have an
      8,000 acre fire (relatively small) burning north and west of Durango,
      which is south of the Hardrock course. I drove up the highway to see
      what I could and saw the flames from the highway between Durango and
      Silverton.
      After speaking with our permit administrator from the BLM on MOnday, he
      has assured me that closing the public lands on which the HRH is being
      held is a last resort. The implication is that it is being discussed at
      both the BLM and Forest Service and that if that decision is made then
      the HRH run will be notified.
      So . . . bottom line. As of this writing we will still be holding the
      HRH on 7/12-7/14 and barring any stupid acts by humans, which is what
      the BLM is most concerned about controlling, we will be able to utilize
      the course as it has been designed.
      If anything changes I will be sure to let you all know. Thanks for your
      concern and we look forward to seeing a lot of you in Silverton.
      Dale Garland
      RD, HRH