The Great Pacer Hook-up of 2002

  • andrea
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 11, 2002
      Howdy runners! I have a ready-and-waiting list of about 5 pacers that
      would love to help haul your butt up and down the Hardrock course this
      year.

      If you are still looking for a pacer, please contact me at
      andrea@... and let me know what you are looking for (distance,
      speed, only women in spandex, etc.)

      Do not reply directly to this email - it will go back to the whole hr100
      list. So just send me a new email and we can start finding your ideal
      pacer (or a reasonable facsimile thereof).

      Hope everyone's training is going well!

      Andrea Feucht
      andrea@...

    • Kris
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 11, 2002
        http://www.durangoherald.com/asp-bin/article_generation.asp?article_type=new
        s&article_path=/news/news020611_2.htm

        Government considers closing San Juan forest
        June 11, 2002
        By Jim Greenhill
        Herald Staff Writer
        The Missionary Ridge Fire has prompted talk about closing the San Juan
        National Forest – and forest officials faced with a massive fire apparently
        caused by carelessness won’t rule out the option.
        "Naturally, we’re having discussions about future fire restrictions," said
        Pauline Ellis, district ranger for the Columbine Ranger District. "As far
        as I know, we have never closed the forest up here. We are monitoring this
        on a day-by-day basis. The number of human-caused fires may influence how
        we handle it."
        John Kelley, a cattle rancher whose property north of Lemon Reservoir was
        threatened by the advancing fire, said Missionary Ridge should have been
        closed long ago.
        "They should have done that about a month ago," he said. "Then this
        wouldn’t have happened. They should only let people past the cattle guard
        if they’ve got cattle or business up there."
        The Missionary Ridge Fire appears to have started Sunday in a ditch next to
        Missionary Ridge Road. Firefighters have said it might have been started by
        a cigarette butt or ash dropped out a car window.
        "What we’re seeing here is what I’m more used to in Flagstaff," Ellis said.
        "Things are explosive here. Things that we normally get away with – running
        a saw in your garage or throwing a cigarette in a ditch – we can no longer
        get away with."
        If the San Juan National Forest was closed, it would not be the first in
        Colorado.
        The Forest Service closed much of the Pike-San Isabel National Forest
        indefinitely Monday for the first time in at least a quarter century after
        a wildfire consumed 70,000 acres. The area covers five counties southwest
        of Denver and is a popular destination for campers, hikers and other
        outdoors fans.
        Landowners, residents needing access through forest and Bureau of Land
        Management land, and firefighters were exempt.
        Forests in other states – including New Mexico and Arizona – have closed in
        recent weeks.
        "This is a very serious step to take, and they took it very carefully,"
        said Dave Steinke, Forest Service spokesman. "We tend to take the public
        lands for granted, and now that they’ve been taken away, we’re getting a
        dose of reality, and maybe we’ll take them less for granted."
        Gov. Bill Owens supported the Forest Service’s decision.
        "They’re the experts," he said. "We have to rely on their judgment. Who in
        Colorado after seeing what’s happened could possibly second-guess them?"