[hr100] Re: Drinking water along the course

  • Chip Tuthill
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 29, 2000
      At 09:09 AM 2/29/00 -0600, you wrote:
      >Jan wrote:
      >
      >> Besides if you should get giardia you can take a pill for it and
      >>get over it.
      >
      >Giardia seems to affect people quite differently. Some are totally
      >unaffected, others can become extremely ill. Drugs can help, but
      >won't cure it.

      Many years ago (12) i spent 49 days trekking and fighting stomach ailments
      in Nepal. One night in Lukla, my room mate decided enough. Instead of
      putting me out of my misery, he gave me a Swiss drug Tinabar. One dose
      cured 5.5 weeks of dysentary. I don't know if it is available in the US.
      Flagyl is/was a drug available for treating Giardia. That drug took 2 weeks
      to cure me in the US. Stay away from untested sources, treat the water
      or take the cure.

      chip tuthill

      >My strategy is to only drink clean water prior to the race, then use
      >untreated water during the race only when necessary. See for more
      >info:
      >
      >http://www.fc.net/~tdeagan/water/one.html
    • Carl & Sally Yates
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 29, 2000
        Flagyl has cured my giardia but rough stuff and no booze with it. Try
        Citricidal a grapefruit seed extract from Nutribiotic which works also two
        other possibilities that I haven't used but would consider since they have
        been reported to cure giardia: Oliveleaf extract (16% or more oleuropin) and
        colostrum.