RE: Hardrock Training

  • Charles T. Thorn
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 5, 2002
      David,

      As is common for tenderfoot runners like yourself, you have completely
      misunderstood and overestimated the Hardrock Hundred. The Hardrock course
      is level and flat and even paved for many miles. It is at low altitude and
      there are aid stations every 2 miles. The aid stations are so good that no
      extra supplies or clothing, beyond that provided, are required. We are
      embarassed to even call it a run, much less a race.

      So, why are you wasting your time by travelling to Colorado a month before
      the Hardrock? By doing so you risk serious injury or death from HAPE,
      frostbite, or a variety of afflictions common at high altitude and on the
      rugged terrain you describe.

      I recommend you contact some experienced Hardrock runner from the lowlands
      who can steer you in the right direction. I believe he would agree that a
      few daily laps walked around a track at sea level is more than adequate
      preparation for Hardrock and you should not bother with all these junk
      miles in the mountains.

      But, good luck anyway on your Hardrock training adventure.

      Charlie Thorn
      Los Alamos, NM

      -----------------
      Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2002 07:33:35 -0400
      From: runhorton@...
      Subject: Hardrock Training

      I will be leaving for Colorado next Monday, June 10. I plan on
      running/walking Pikes Peak or Long's Peak on Tuesday around noon.
      Anyone intested in doing one of these with me????

      I plan on possibly doing Gray's And Torrey's on Wed.

      I will be arriving in Ouray, Co. sometime around June 14 or 15 and
      running/and climbing mountains on my way there while in Co.

      If you are interested in doing one of these runs with me, please e-mail
      me or call me 434-239-1324

      In Christ
      David
      While running here in the Blue Ridge Mountains of VA today, I saw a
      copperhead, a rattlesnake, two owls, one turkey, two deer, and one
      BEAR!!!!
    • Stevan Pattillo
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 5, 2002
        Charlie, thank you for clearing the air for those of us that are a bit
        nervous about the Hardrock course. However, I still have a few questions.
        Is the celebrity bocce ball tournament still scheduled for Saturday night
        on Handies? If so, is it BYOBB, or will complimentary bocce balls be
        provided? Also, is the Kendall Mountain Cafe still planning an
        all-you-can-eat fried pork rind and chitlin breakfast for the Oklahoma
        runners on race morning?
        Thanks again
        Steve
      • Rich Limacher
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 6, 2002
          Speaking of "scheduling," y'all...

          In my latest cellophane package containing my: a) July
          issue of Trail Runner Magazine, b) shoe ads and other
          brochures, c) invoice and threat to shut off all future
          issues of Trail Runner Magazine unless I: 1) RENEW TODAY, 2)
          PAY UP, or 3) CHECK THE BOX AND WE'LL BILL YOU LATER, well,
          along with all that (complete with the full-page ad + 3
          overlapping photos of Catra Corbet on page 21 -- WOW! Makes
          me want to buy jewelry!) comes this *other* brochure
          entitled "Telluride 360-degree Adventure Festival, Presented
          by Subaru," complete with a full calendar of big-time
          hot-shot events from July 7th through the 16th. And another
          full-page ad on the back cover saying: "Everyone's invited
          to a BIG PARTY Saturday Night, July 13, 7 p.m."

          Yessir. That spans the length and breadth of--you got
          it--OUR RUN!

          (Good thing I'm not "scheduled" to arrive in Telluride till
          Sunday morning, eh?)

          Anybody out there in festival-deprived Colorado know about
          this?

          Is this some kind of big-time, big-money comeuppance to our
          now National Geographically famous event?

          Will it be televised? Can I tape it for viewing later in my
          hotel room?

          Will Montrail be there selling shoes and advertising space?
          Will Catra? (I would like to buy an ad tattooed on her left
          leg, just above the knee, please.)

          Ohmigod. I just can't WAIT to meet the "Luna Women's
          Mountain Bike Team and other pro athletes, bid on amazing
          products & trips at the Silent Auction, stay for the great
          music and Dance Party, info at clifbar.com, proceeds from
          cover charge and Silent Auction to benefit The Breast Cancer
          Fund."

          Just, uh, readin' my mail, y'all.

          See you in a couple of weeks. You bring the jug and
          washboard; I'll bring the fiddle.

          Yiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii-HAH!!!!!!!

          Ricard von Bismarck
          TheTroubadour@...
          "The Jelly-Filled Doughnut
          Formerly Baked by Your Neighborhood Barkley
          But Now Freshly Fried
          With My Neighborhood Cattle Meringue*"

          *I owe Geri K. for this term which is the new name for the
          KM100.