RE: Virus Alert I just sent is a HOAX. Please read.

  • Tyler Curiel
    Message 1 of 1 , May 9, 2002
      Dear all, Dr. Burow, supplied me with the following showing how
      "gullible users" can be lured into thinking this is a real virus. It's
      just a hoax, so please ignore. If you deleted the bear icon, you can
      re-install by following the instructions in the URL listed. Sorry again
      for the inconvenience. I thought I was helping. /TC the Gullible

      From: Allirycam@...
      Date: Fri, 3 May 2002 17:23:34 EDT
      Subject: Not a virus, just a hoax !!Re: Fw: Virus warning

      Virus name: JDBGMGR.EXE. Status: Hoax. Example: [Collected on
      the Internet, 2002]

      I got this message about a virus that can produce lot of dammage [sic]
      to your computer. If you follow the instructions which are very easy,
      you would be able to "clean" your computer. Apparently the virus spreads
      through the adresses book . I got it, then may be I passed it to you
      too, sorry. The name of the virus is jdbgmgr.exe and is transmitted
      automatically through the Messanger and addresses book of the OUTLOOK.
      The virus is neither detected by Norton nor by Mc Afee. It remains in
      lethargy ("sleeping") for 14 days and even more, before it destroys the
      whole system. It can be eliminated during this period. The steps for the
      elimination of the virus are the following: 1. go to START and click
      FIND 2. in "FILES andFOLDERS" write: jdbgmgr.exe 3. be sure that it
      searches in "C" 4. click SEARCH NOW 5. if the virus appears (with icon
      of a small bear) and the name"jdbgmgr.exe" . don't open it !!! in any
      case !!! 6. click the right button of the mouse and destroy it 7. emty
      the recyclage bin If you find the virus in your computer please send
      this mail to all the people in your addresses book . thanks.

      Origins: Like the SULFNBK.EXE
      <http://www.snopes2.com/computer/virus/sulfnbk.htm> hoax, this bogus
      virus warning (also known as the "Bear Virus") attempts to lure gullible
      users into deleting perfectly innocuous, standard Windows files from
      their systems.
      In this case the target file is JDBGMGR.EXE, which is the Microsoft
      Debugger Registrar for Java program. It is included as part of a
      standard Windows installation, is not a virus, and should not be
      deleted.
      (The icon for this file is a graphic of a bear like the one shown to
      the left.)
      See the links below for more information on the JDBGMGR.EXE hoax:
      Additional information: Jdbgmgr.exe file hoax
      (Symantec Security Response)
      Jdbgmgr.exe hoax
      (McAfee Virus Information Library)
      Last updated: 22 April 2002

      The URL for this page is
      http://www.snopes.com/computer/virus/jdbgmgr.htm
      Click here <http://www.snopes2.com/cgi-bin/comments/sendinit.asp> to
      e-mail this page to a friend
      Urban Legends Reference Pages C 1995-2002
      by Barbara and David P. Mikkelson

      Matthew E. Burow, Ph.D.
      Assistant Professor of Medicine and Surgery
      Section of Hematology & Medical Oncology
      Tulane University School of Medicine
      1430 Tulane Ave. SL-78
      New Orleans, LA 70112
      Office: 504-988-6688