[hr100] Giardia

  • Charles T. Thorn
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 29, 2000
      I have two points for the discussion about giardia and drinking water on
      the Hardrock course.

      First, two years ago the Hardrock Committee was interested in what the
      giardia hazard was during Hardrock so I included questions in the runner
      feedback about it. We found that not a single case of giardia was reported
      by any responding runner regardles of how much they drank from untreated
      sources on the Hardrock course.

      Second, in about 1970 I got giardia from drinking untreated water from
      streams in the west. I can only recall being more sick once in my life.
      Even though it's onset has a couple of weeks delay, I'm not interested in
      repeating that experience, ever!

      So, I believe the likelihood of getting giardia at Hardrock is probably
      low. However, except for extreme situations, I will not drink untreated
      water on the Hardrock course.

      The Hardrock run management also strongly discourages runners from drinking
      untreated water.

      Charlie Thorn
    • Ginny La Forme
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 29, 2000
        I agree with Charlie , that Giardia infection is a horrible experience. I
        also believe that many people say they have had Giardia, when , in fact,
        they didn't actually have a positive culture for the organizm. There are
        many things which can cause gastro intestinal symptoms, and I have
        personally experienced most of them, including shigelliases, amoebiases, e
        coli ( I grew up in Latin America ). It took me months to recover fully
        from the giardia, in spite of prompt treatment.

        However, as Charlie says, no one has been proven to have gotten it on the
        course yet, so I am going to drink out of the safer seeming areas if I run
        out of water ( as I have before. )

        Ginny La Forme rlaforme@...
        325 Onate St. 505-753-3291
        Espanola, NM 87532 505-753-8340