[hr100] Re: Drinking water along the course

  • Keri French
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 26, 2000
      Blake P. Wood wrote:

      > Duncan - There is plenty of water on the course, except over
      > some of the high passes. I'd guess that the longest you could
      > be away from a stream of water is 2 hours. Either a filter
      > bottle or iodine will work fine. I've always used the
      > latter. Matt Mahoney will probably tell you that he doesn't
      > bother to treat the water at all, but I'm not as brave as him.
      >
      > - Blake
      >
      > Blake P. Wood
      > Physics Div., Plasma Physics Group P-24, MS-E526,
      > Los Alamos Nat'l Lab, Los Alamos NM 87545
      > (505) 665-6524 Fax: (505) 665-3552 bwood@...
      > http://microserf.lanl.gov/bpw/bpwplan.html
      >
      > At 02:16 PM 2/24/00 -0700, Duncan Orr wrote:
      > What's the scoop on drinking water along the course? Is it
      > important to carry all water as in most other 100's or are there
      > enough safe creeks that we do not have to carry as much? Are
      > there creeks most everywhere? Do runners carry filters? Any
      > insight would be appreciated.

      > Apply NOW!

      > -- http://www.egroups.com/vote?listname=hr100&m=1

      here is yet another response about the drinking water topic. I was
      hesitant to drink from the streams at first but upon hearing from a number
      of people who suffered no ill effect from it , I give it a go. It was nice
      to only have to carry two bottles. Iwas selective where I filled up
      choosing to use smaller side streams in the canyons coming off of slopes
      where even ultrarunners haven't been. This made it easy to stay very
      hydrated through the entire course. Besides if you should get giardia you
      can take a pill for it and get over it. If you DNF due to dehydration
      complications thats gonna be a lot harder to get over as a lot of us can
      attest to.
    • Michael A. Farris
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 29, 2000
        Jan wrote:

        > Besides if you should get giardia you can take a pill for it and
        >get over it.

        Giardia seems to affect people quite differently. Some are totally
        unaffected, others can become extremely ill. Drugs can help, but
        won't cure it. If you've seen somebody with severe Giardia problems
        you will think twice before drinking untreated water. I have no idea
        if people show variable sensitivity to Cryptosporidium. As pointed
        out, you can't develop resistance to Giardia or Crypto.

        My strategy is to only drink clean water prior to the race, then use
        untreated water during the race only when necessary. See for more
        info:

        http://www.fc.net/~tdeagan/water/one.html

        Virtually all of our snow melted this week-maybe we'll get to leave
        the roads and hit the trails again.

        Mike

        Dr. Mike Farris mfarris@...
        Associate Professor of Biology http://www.hamline.edu/~mfarris
        Hamline University, St. Paul, MN 55014
      • Chip Tuthill
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 29, 2000
          At 09:09 AM 2/29/00 -0600, you wrote:
          >Jan wrote:
          >
          >> Besides if you should get giardia you can take a pill for it and
          >>get over it.
          >
          >Giardia seems to affect people quite differently. Some are totally
          >unaffected, others can become extremely ill. Drugs can help, but
          >won't cure it.

          Many years ago (12) i spent 49 days trekking and fighting stomach ailments
          in Nepal. One night in Lukla, my room mate decided enough. Instead of
          putting me out of my misery, he gave me a Swiss drug Tinabar. One dose
          cured 5.5 weeks of dysentary. I don't know if it is available in the US.
          Flagyl is/was a drug available for treating Giardia. That drug took 2 weeks
          to cure me in the US. Stay away from untested sources, treat the water
          or take the cure.

          chip tuthill

          >My strategy is to only drink clean water prior to the race, then use
          >untreated water during the race only when necessary. See for more
          >info:
          >
          >http://www.fc.net/~tdeagan/water/one.html
        • Carl & Sally Yates
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 29, 2000
            Flagyl has cured my giardia but rough stuff and no booze with it. Try
            Citricidal a grapefruit seed extract from Nutribiotic which works also two
            other possibilities that I haven't used but would consider since they have
            been reported to cure giardia: Oliveleaf extract (16% or more oleuropin) and
            colostrum.