RE: [hr100] Starting and Waiting Lists for the 2002 Hardrock Hundred

  • Steve Pero
    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 11, 2002
      Hi gang...

      I'd also like to mention that I thought the committee did a really fine job
      in the selection process. What a tough job it must have been...to see some
      of your friends not make it into the race...and to understand the fairness
      of it all, look at some of the names...Tom Gunnison, Peter Bakwin, Jim
      Sweatt, Martin Miller, Keith Knipling (who was hoping to finish with his
      dad, Gary)and many more from the Hardrock 'family'.

      Deb and I had planned or was hoping to get in so that we could finish as a
      married couple after "engaging' ourselves atop Virginius last year during
      the run, but now the best we can hope for is for me to get in (I'm 19th on
      the WL) and she paces me in from Ouray and we still finish as we had planned
      together. No matter what, we are still planning on coming out and do the
      course marking and join in on all of the festivities leading up to race day.

      There are many sad and disappointed runners today...maybe in the future
      there should be some 3 times your in rule ala Western States, so that many
      different runners get to enjoy and experience the San Juans in July.

      see you all in July!
      Steve Pero

    • Charles T. Thorn
      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 11, 2002
        Deb,

        Put the money under the bridge at midnight.

        Charlie

        >This must have been the job from hell. I am so glad I didn't have to make
        >the tough decisions that
        >you guys had to make! Thanks for putting your heart and soul into making
        >this as impartial as
        >possible.
        >Deb
        >Is bribery out of the question?

      • Stevan Pattillo
        Message 3 of 20 , Feb 11, 2002
          This isn't exactly like choosing who gets into a life boat on the Titanic,
          so how come I'm experiancing "survivor's guilt"?
          Steve
        • Deb
          Message 4 of 20 , Feb 11, 2002
            I did...,. I think that Garland dude picked it up.
            What? He didn't say anything????

            > Put the money under the bridge at midnight.
            >
            > Charlie
            >
            > >This must have been the job from hell. I am so glad I didn't have to
            make
            > >the tough decisions that
            > >you guys had to make! Thanks for putting your heart and soul into making
            > >this as impartial as
            > >possible.
            > >Deb
            > >Is bribery out of the question?

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • Deb
            Message 5 of 20 , Feb 11, 2002
              I think I read somewhere that the only cure for this is to trade places with
              someone who didn't get in...
              I'll volunteer.
              I'm only thinking of your welfare, man.....
              :-)
              deb

              > This isn't exactly like choosing who gets into a life boat on the Titanic,
              > so how come I'm experiancing "survivor's guilt"?
              > Steve

            • Stevan Pattillo
              Message 6 of 20 , Feb 11, 2002
                Deb, I couldn't ask you to so selflessly sacrifice yourself. Thanks anyway.
                I'll just have to bear-up, "sob", under the guilt.
                Steve
              • Deb
                Message 7 of 20 , Feb 11, 2002
                  Steve, Steve, you're in denial!! You mustn't continue to hide behind the
                  guilt!
                  Free yourself! There is a way out!! I CAN HELP YOU!!!!
                  deb

                  Message 8 of 20 , Feb 11, 2002
                    Hi Steveand Deb!
                    I was disappointed to see that you two are not in HR this July. But mabye
                    there will be a turnaround and you will get in....one or both of you! Still,
                    at least you are planning to amke the journey out here this summer which will
                    be a great reunion!
                    I can't believe the Committee chose me. I don't feel worthy comapred to
                    others who did notmake the cut. But I am grateful, nonetheless, and plan to
                    do my best to finish it this year. And have a ball, as always.

                    With love, your friend,

                    Jennifer Roach
                  • Stevan Pattillo
                    Message 9 of 20 , Feb 12, 2002
                      Deb, That is so like you; thinking of others first. But, I can't do it.
                      Steve
                      Message 10 of 20 , Feb 12, 2002
                        It was a hard decision for me not to enter Hardrock
                        this year, but I want to make one long trip to
                        Colorado instead of 2 short trips, so I will focus my
                        efforts on the Leadville bike and run and Nolan's 14.
                        I would have gotten in (3 finishes in last 5 years),
                        but I am glad that by not entering I am giving someone
                        else a chance to run it. It is a beautiful race.
                        Perhaps next year.

                        =====

                        http://greetings.yahoo.com
                      • Deb
                        Message 11 of 20 , Feb 13, 2002
                          Okay, but don't blame me when you feel like crap after 30+ hours out there
                          on the trail.
                          You were warned! :-)
                          deb
                          looking out the window at a nice little snow squall on a day predicted to be
                          "sunny".
                          Message 12 of 20 , Feb 14, 2002
                            Deb, So that's why I feel so tired after 30 or so hours; someone has been
                            putting a curse on me!
                            I knew it couldn't be that I was a mediocre runner, too old, fat and
                            undertrained. Well, stop that right now! Do you hear me? Now!
                            There, I feel better. Now I need to start looking for another outside
                            reason that explains why I'm such a slug.
                            Thanks
                            Steve
                          • Stevan Pattillo
                              Message 14 of 20 , Mar 14, 2002
                                I finally got around to "messing around" with the 360 degree panorama
                                pictures that I took last summer at Hardrock and Nolans. I didn't carry
                                a tripod, so they're not perfect, but most of them look alright. You'll
                                need the Quicktime Plug-in to view the panoramas, but it's free on the
                                Quicktime site if you don't already have it.

                                John Robinson
                                http://www.geocities.com/timberlinejohn

                              • Deb
                                Message 15 of 20 , Mar 15, 2002
                                  awesome!!! makes me feel like I'm there all over again...
                                  thanks for putting these up!
                                  deb pero
                                  > I finally got around to "messing around" with the 360 degree panorama
                                  > pictures that I took last summer at Hardrock and Nolans. I didn't carry
                                  > a tripod, so they're not perfect, but most of them look alright. You'll
                                  > need the Quicktime Plug-in to view the panoramas, but it's free on the
                                  > Quicktime site if you don't already have it.
                                  >

                                  > John Robinson
                                  > http://www.geocities.com/timberlinejohn

                                • Ginny La Forme
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Mar 15, 2002
                                    Thanks, John!

                                    It's amazing how we were all able to run around the summit fast
                                    enough to stay out of the picture! Are the Nolan's panoramas up yet? All
                                    I could find was Handies.
                                    Ginny

                                    I finally got around to "messing around" with the 360 degree panorama
                                    pictures that I took last summer at Hardrock and Nolans. I didn't carry
                                    a tripod, so they're not perfect, but most of them look alright. You'll
                                    need the Quicktime Plug-in to view the panoramas, but it's free on the
                                    Quicktime site if you don't already have it.

                                    John Robinson
                                    http://www.geocities.com/timberlinejohn

                                    Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Mar 15, 2002
                                      You’re Welcome, Ginny. Yeah there were a lot of people up there that
                                      day. It’s a good thing for me you’re such a nice person or you might
                                      have gotten mad at me for telling you to get out of the way all the
                                      time! :))

                                      I put up a few more (Dives Basin, La Plata & Huron), they're in the
                                      rough stages, but I'll try and fix them up later.

                                      John