Re: [hr100] Starting and Waiting Lists for the 2002 Hardrock Hundred

  • John Robinson
    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 10, 2002
      I wasn't going to say anything, since I got in, but I feel the same as Deb & Greg. Considering the fact that no matter what you do there will be unhappy people, I thought the selection process was well thought out and as fair as possible. I was certainly excited about getting in, however, that excitement was tempered by seeing all the people that didn't.
      On another note. I put together some virtual reality 360 degree views from the top of Handies and a few other places on the HR course (as well as several on the Nolans course). They look great on my computer. I'm having a few problems getting them on the web, but once I get the kinks worked out I'll post them on my webpage.
      John
      http://www.geocities.com/timberlinejohn
      Deb <mtnrunner@...> wrote: This must have been the job from hell. I am so glad I didn't have to make
      the tough decisions that
      you guys had to make! Thanks for putting your heart and soul into making
      this as impartial as
      possible.
      Deb
      Is bribery out of the question?
      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 11, 2002
        Hi gang...

        I'd also like to mention that I thought the committee did a really fine job
        in the selection process. What a tough job it must have been...to see some
        of your friends not make it into the race...and to understand the fairness
        of it all, look at some of the names...Tom Gunnison, Peter Bakwin, Jim
        Sweatt, Martin Miller, Keith Knipling (who was hoping to finish with his
        dad, Gary)and many more from the Hardrock 'family'.

        Deb and I had planned or was hoping to get in so that we could finish as a
        married couple after "engaging' ourselves atop Virginius last year during
        the run, but now the best we can hope for is for me to get in (I'm 19th on
        the WL) and she paces me in from Ouray and we still finish as we had planned
        together. No matter what, we are still planning on coming out and do the
        course marking and join in on all of the festivities leading up to race day.

        There are many sad and disappointed runners today...maybe in the future
        there should be some 3 times your in rule ala Western States, so that many
        different runners get to enjoy and experience the San Juans in July.

        see you all in July!
        Steve Pero

      • Charles T. Thorn
        Message 3 of 20 , Feb 11, 2002
          Deb,

          Put the money under the bridge at midnight.

          Charlie

          >This must have been the job from hell. I am so glad I didn't have to make
          >the tough decisions that
          >you guys had to make! Thanks for putting your heart and soul into making
          >this as impartial as
          >possible.
          >Deb
          >Is bribery out of the question?

        • Stevan Pattillo
          Message 4 of 20 , Feb 11, 2002
            This isn't exactly like choosing who gets into a life boat on the Titanic,
            so how come I'm experiancing "survivor's guilt"?
            Steve
          • Deb
            Message 5 of 20 , Feb 11, 2002
              I did...,. I think that Garland dude picked it up.
              What? He didn't say anything????

              > Put the money under the bridge at midnight.
              >
              > Charlie
              >
              > >This must have been the job from hell. I am so glad I didn't have to
              make
              > >the tough decisions that
              > >you guys had to make! Thanks for putting your heart and soul into making
              > >this as impartial as
              > >possible.
              > >Deb
              > >Is bribery out of the question?

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • Deb
              Message 6 of 20 , Feb 11, 2002
                I think I read somewhere that the only cure for this is to trade places with
                someone who didn't get in...
                I'll volunteer.
                I'm only thinking of your welfare, man.....
                :-)
                deb

                > This isn't exactly like choosing who gets into a life boat on the Titanic,
                > so how come I'm experiancing "survivor's guilt"?
                > Steve

              • Stevan Pattillo
                Message 7 of 20 , Feb 11, 2002
                  Deb, I couldn't ask you to so selflessly sacrifice yourself. Thanks anyway.
                  I'll just have to bear-up, "sob", under the guilt.
                  Steve
                • Deb
                  Message 8 of 20 , Feb 11, 2002
                    Steve, Steve, you're in denial!! You mustn't continue to hide behind the
                    guilt!
                    Free yourself! There is a way out!! I CAN HELP YOU!!!!
                    deb

                    Message 9 of 20 , Feb 11, 2002
                      Hi Steveand Deb!
                      I was disappointed to see that you two are not in HR this July. But mabye
                      there will be a turnaround and you will get in....one or both of you! Still,
                      at least you are planning to amke the journey out here this summer which will
                      be a great reunion!
                      I can't believe the Committee chose me. I don't feel worthy comapred to
                      others who did notmake the cut. But I am grateful, nonetheless, and plan to
                      do my best to finish it this year. And have a ball, as always.

                      With love, your friend,

                      Jennifer Roach
                    • Stevan Pattillo
                      Message 10 of 20 , Feb 12, 2002
                        Deb, That is so like you; thinking of others first. But, I can't do it.
                        Steve
                        Message 11 of 20 , Feb 12, 2002
                          It was a hard decision for me not to enter Hardrock
                          this year, but I want to make one long trip to
                          Colorado instead of 2 short trips, so I will focus my
                          efforts on the Leadville bike and run and Nolan's 14.
                          I would have gotten in (3 finishes in last 5 years),
                          but I am glad that by not entering I am giving someone
                          else a chance to run it. It is a beautiful race.
                          Perhaps next year.

                          =====

                          http://greetings.yahoo.com
                        • Deb
                          Message 12 of 20 , Feb 13, 2002
                            Okay, but don't blame me when you feel like crap after 30+ hours out there
                            on the trail.
                            You were warned! :-)
                            deb
                            looking out the window at a nice little snow squall on a day predicted to be
                            "sunny".
                            Message 13 of 20 , Feb 14, 2002
                              Deb, So that's why I feel so tired after 30 or so hours; someone has been
                              putting a curse on me!
                              I knew it couldn't be that I was a mediocre runner, too old, fat and
                              undertrained. Well, stop that right now! Do you hear me? Now!
                              There, I feel better. Now I need to start looking for another outside
                              reason that explains why I'm such a slug.
                              Thanks
                              Steve
                            • Stevan Pattillo
                                Message 15 of 20 , Mar 14, 2002
                                  I finally got around to "messing around" with the 360 degree panorama
                                  pictures that I took last summer at Hardrock and Nolans. I didn't carry
                                  a tripod, so they're not perfect, but most of them look alright. You'll
                                  need the Quicktime Plug-in to view the panoramas, but it's free on the
                                  Quicktime site if you don't already have it.

                                  John Robinson

                                  Message 16 of 20 , Mar 15, 2002
                                    awesome!!! makes me feel like I'm there all over again...
                                    thanks for putting these up!
                                    deb pero
                                    > I finally got around to "messing around" with the 360 degree panorama
                                    > pictures that I took last summer at Hardrock and Nolans. I didn't carry
                                    > a tripod, so they're not perfect, but most of them look alright. You'll
                                    > need the Quicktime Plug-in to view the panoramas, but it's free on the
                                    > Quicktime site if you don't already have it.
                                    >

                                    > John Robinson
                                    > http://www.geocities.com/timberlinejohn

                                  • Ginny La Forme
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Mar 15, 2002
                                      Thanks, John!

                                      It's amazing how we were all able to run around the summit fast
                                      enough to stay out of the picture! Are the Nolan's panoramas up yet? All
                                      I could find was Handies.
                                      Ginny

                                      I finally got around to "messing around" with the 360 degree panorama
                                      pictures that I took last summer at Hardrock and Nolans. I didn't carry
                                      a tripod, so they're not perfect, but most of them look alright. You'll
                                      need the Quicktime Plug-in to view the panoramas, but it's free on the
                                      Quicktime site if you don't already have it.

                                      John Robinson
                                      http://www.geocities.com/timberlinejohn

                                      Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Mar 15, 2002
                                        You’re Welcome, Ginny. Yeah there were a lot of people up there that
                                        day. It’s a good thing for me you’re such a nice person or you might
                                        have gotten mad at me for telling you to get out of the way all the
                                        time! :))

                                        I put up a few more (Dives Basin, La Plata & Huron), they're in the
                                        rough stages, but I'll try and fix them up later.