Starting and Waiting Lists for the 2002 Hardrock Hundred

  • Rebecca Clark and Blake Wood
    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 9, 2002
      The Hardrock Hundred selection committee met today to choose
      runners to fill our quota of 110, from 185 qualified
      applicants among the 213 applications we received. The
      remaining
      75 qualified applicants were ordered on a waiting list. The
      Starting and Waiting lists have been posted to the Hardrock
      web page at
      http://www.run100s.com/HR/HRH-Entrants-2002-020902.pdf.
      Details of the selection process are available at
      http://www.run100s.com/HR/HRH-Entrants-2002.html.

      - Blake

      Blake P. Wood
      Group X-2, Thermonuclear Applications
      Los Alamos National Laboratory, Los Alamos, NM 87544
      bwood@... 505-665-6524 -2227 (fax)
    • Deb
      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 10, 2002
        This must have been the job from hell. I am so glad I didn't have to make
        the tough decisions that
        you guys had to make! Thanks for putting your heart and soul into making
        this as impartial as
        possible.
        Deb
        Is bribery out of the question?
        > The Hardrock Hundred selection committee met today to choose
        > runners to fill our quota of 110, from 185 qualified
        > applicants among the 213 applications we received. The
        > remaining
        > 75 qualified applicants were ordered on a waiting list. The
        > Starting and Waiting lists have been posted to the Hardrock
        > web page at
        > http://www.run100s.com/HR/HRH-Entrants-2002-020902.pdf.
        > Details of the selection process are available at
        > http://www.run100s.com/HR/HRH-Entrants-2002.html.
        >
        > - Blake
        >
        > Blake P. Wood
        > Group X-2, Thermonuclear Applications
        > Los Alamos National Laboratory, Los Alamos, NM 87544
        > bwood@... 505-665-6524 -2227 (fax)

      • John Robinson
        Message 3 of 20 , Feb 10, 2002
          I wasn't going to say anything, since I got in, but I feel the same as Deb & Greg. Considering the fact that no matter what you do there will be unhappy people, I thought the selection process was well thought out and as fair as possible. I was certainly excited about getting in, however, that excitement was tempered by seeing all the people that didn't.
          On another note. I put together some virtual reality 360 degree views from the top of Handies and a few other places on the HR course (as well as several on the Nolans course). They look great on my computer. I'm having a few problems getting them on the web, but once I get the kinks worked out I'll post them on my webpage.
          John
          http://www.geocities.com/timberlinejohn
          Deb <mtnrunner@...> wrote: This must have been the job from hell. I am so glad I didn't have to make
          the tough decisions that
          you guys had to make! Thanks for putting your heart and soul into making
          this as impartial as
          possible.
          Deb
          Is bribery out of the question?
          > The Hardrock Hundred selection committee met today to choose
          > runners to fill our quota of 110, from 185 qualified
          > applicants among the 213 applications we received. The
          > remaining
          > 75 qualified applicants were ordered on a waiting list. The
          > Starting and Waiting lists have been posted to the Hardrock
          > web page at
          > http://www.run100s.com/HR/HRH-Entrants-2002-020902.pdf.
          > Details of the selection process are available at
          > http://www.run100s.com/HR/HRH-Entrants-2002.html.
          >
          > - Blake
          >
          > Blake P. Wood
          > Group X-2, Thermonuclear Applications
          > Los Alamos National Laboratory, Los Alamos, NM 87544
          > bwood@... 505-665-6524 -2227 (fax)

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        • Steve Pero
          Message 4 of 20 , Feb 11, 2002
            Hi gang...

            I'd also like to mention that I thought the committee did a really fine job
            in the selection process. What a tough job it must have been...to see some
            of your friends not make it into the race...and to understand the fairness
            of it all, look at some of the names...Tom Gunnison, Peter Bakwin, Jim
            Sweatt, Martin Miller, Keith Knipling (who was hoping to finish with his
            dad, Gary)and many more from the Hardrock 'family'.

            Deb and I had planned or was hoping to get in so that we could finish as a
            married couple after "engaging' ourselves atop Virginius last year during
            the run, but now the best we can hope for is for me to get in (I'm 19th on
            the WL) and she paces me in from Ouray and we still finish as we had planned
            together. No matter what, we are still planning on coming out and do the
            course marking and join in on all of the festivities leading up to race day.

            There are many sad and disappointed runners today...maybe in the future
            there should be some 3 times your in rule ala Western States, so that many
            different runners get to enjoy and experience the San Juans in July.

            see you all in July!
            Steve Pero

          • Charles T. Thorn
            Message 5 of 20 , Feb 11, 2002
              Deb,

              Put the money under the bridge at midnight.

              Charlie

              >This must have been the job from hell. I am so glad I didn't have to make
              >the tough decisions that
              >you guys had to make! Thanks for putting your heart and soul into making
              >this as impartial as
              >possible.
              >Deb
              >Is bribery out of the question?

            • Stevan Pattillo
              Message 6 of 20 , Feb 11, 2002
                This isn't exactly like choosing who gets into a life boat on the Titanic,
                so how come I'm experiancing "survivor's guilt"?
                Steve
              • Deb
                Message 7 of 20 , Feb 11, 2002
                  I did...,. I think that Garland dude picked it up.
                  What? He didn't say anything????

                  > Put the money under the bridge at midnight.
                  >
                  > Charlie
                  >
                  > >This must have been the job from hell. I am so glad I didn't have to
                  make
                  > >the tough decisions that
                  > >you guys had to make! Thanks for putting your heart and soul into making
                  > >this as impartial as
                  > >possible.
                  > >Deb
                  > >Is bribery out of the question?

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                • Deb
                  Message 8 of 20 , Feb 11, 2002
                    I think I read somewhere that the only cure for this is to trade places with
                    someone who didn't get in...
                    I'll volunteer.
                    I'm only thinking of your welfare, man.....
                    :-)
                    deb

                    > This isn't exactly like choosing who gets into a life boat on the Titanic,
                    > so how come I'm experiancing "survivor's guilt"?
                    > Steve

                  • Stevan Pattillo
                    Message 9 of 20 , Feb 11, 2002
                      Deb, I couldn't ask you to so selflessly sacrifice yourself. Thanks anyway.
                      I'll just have to bear-up, "sob", under the guilt.
                      Steve
                    • Deb
                      Message 10 of 20 , Feb 11, 2002
                        Steve, Steve, you're in denial!! You mustn't continue to hide behind the
                        guilt!
                        Free yourself! There is a way out!! I CAN HELP YOU!!!!
                        deb

                        Message 11 of 20 , Feb 11, 2002
                          Hi Steveand Deb!
                          I was disappointed to see that you two are not in HR this July. But mabye
                          there will be a turnaround and you will get in....one or both of you! Still,
                          at least you are planning to amke the journey out here this summer which will
                          be a great reunion!
                          I can't believe the Committee chose me. I don't feel worthy comapred to
                          others who did notmake the cut. But I am grateful, nonetheless, and plan to
                          do my best to finish it this year. And have a ball, as always.

                          With love, your friend,

                          Jennifer Roach
                        • Stevan Pattillo
                          Message 12 of 20 , Feb 12, 2002
                            Deb, That is so like you; thinking of others first. But, I can't do it.
                            Steve
                            Message 13 of 20 , Feb 12, 2002
                              It was a hard decision for me not to enter Hardrock
                              this year, but I want to make one long trip to
                              Colorado instead of 2 short trips, so I will focus my
                              efforts on the Leadville bike and run and Nolan's 14.
                              I would have gotten in (3 finishes in last 5 years),
                              but I am glad that by not entering I am giving someone
                              else a chance to run it. It is a beautiful race.
                              Perhaps next year.

                              =====

                              http://greetings.yahoo.com
                            • Deb
                              Message 14 of 20 , Feb 13, 2002
                                Okay, but don't blame me when you feel like crap after 30+ hours out there
                                on the trail.
                                You were warned! :-)
                                deb
                                looking out the window at a nice little snow squall on a day predicted to be
                                "sunny".
                                Message 15 of 20 , Feb 14, 2002
                                  Deb, So that's why I feel so tired after 30 or so hours; someone has been
                                  putting a curse on me!
                                  I knew it couldn't be that I was a mediocre runner, too old, fat and
                                  undertrained. Well, stop that right now! Do you hear me? Now!
                                  There, I feel better. Now I need to start looking for another outside
                                  reason that explains why I'm such a slug.
                                  Thanks
                                  Steve
                                • Stevan Pattillo
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Mar 14, 2002
                                      I finally got around to "messing around" with the 360 degree panorama
                                      pictures that I took last summer at Hardrock and Nolans. I didn't carry
                                      a tripod, so they're not perfect, but most of them look alright. You'll
                                      need the Quicktime Plug-in to view the panoramas, but it's free on the
                                      Quicktime site if you don't already have it.

                                      John Robinson

                                      Message 18 of 20 , Mar 15, 2002
                                        awesome!!! makes me feel like I'm there all over again...
                                        thanks for putting these up!
                                        deb pero
                                        > I finally got around to "messing around" with the 360 degree panorama
                                        > pictures that I took last summer at Hardrock and Nolans. I didn't carry
                                        > a tripod, so they're not perfect, but most of them look alright. You'll
                                        > need the Quicktime Plug-in to view the panoramas, but it's free on the
                                        > Quicktime site if you don't already have it.
                                        >

                                        > John Robinson
                                        > http://www.geocities.com/timberlinejohn

                                      • Ginny La Forme
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Mar 15, 2002
                                          Thanks, John!

                                          It's amazing how we were all able to run around the summit fast
                                          enough to stay out of the picture! Are the Nolan's panoramas up yet? All
                                          I could find was Handies.
                                          Ginny

                                          I finally got around to "messing around" with the 360 degree panorama
                                          pictures that I took last summer at Hardrock and Nolans. I didn't carry
                                          a tripod, so they're not perfect, but most of them look alright. You'll
                                          need the Quicktime Plug-in to view the panoramas, but it's free on the
                                          Quicktime site if you don't already have it.

                                          John Robinson
                                          http://www.geocities.com/timberlinejohn

                                          Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Mar 15, 2002
                                            You’re Welcome, Ginny. Yeah there were a lot of people up there that
                                            day. It’s a good thing for me you’re such a nice person or you might
                                            have gotten mad at me for telling you to get out of the way all the
                                            time! :))

                                            I put up a few more (Dives Basin, La Plata & Huron), they're in the
                                            rough stages, but I'll try and fix them up later.