Re: [hr100] FW: Salt Lake 2002 Olympic Torch Relay

  • Rich Limacher
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 14, 2002
      Let me tell y'all how this particular fine young lady once
      inspired me.

      No, scratch that. She, and Ginny LaForme, I believe saved
      my life!!!

      Yes, it was during trailmarking the Hardrock course, and one
      heck of a hailstorm came up--with LIGHTENING!!! etc., etc.,
      etc.--and that succeeded in scaring the royal
      ess-aitch-eye-tea out of EVERYBODY. Including me. And,
      well, so everybody TOOK OFF!!! Runnin' like
      aitch-eeeee!-double-el. 'Cept me, 'corse, 'cuz I don't run
      so dee-ay-em-en fast.

      That's when Bozena (and Ginny) realized I was probably lost,
      or dead, or something. So, they stopped and waited for
      me--in a still-exposed part of the mountaintop--and hollered
      after me till I eventually found them.

      I will never forget Bozena's care for me in this case, nor
      could I ever forget Ginny. And I just wanted to pass this
      along to EVERYBODY because if ANYBODY ever deserved to carry
      this torch, it's GOTTABE Bozena.

      (Ginny too, of course, but she lives in the desert. And
      NOBODY ever lives in a desert. Eh, my friend??? :)

      Congratulations, Bozena. Run like the wind with it (but
      carry some matches just in case. :-)

      Rich Limacher
      TheTroubadour@...

      Yankee Folly for the Day:
      Years ago we prepared for winter by taking down the screens
      and putting up storm windows, caulking, lighting the
      furnace, stuffing old towels under the doors, changing the
      rear tires on the car to snows, and grabbing the shovel out
      of the shed. Now days, we just move to Florida.

      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 15, 2002
        You are all so sweet.
        Little update on the time and location.
        Time of my segment will take place at 17:58 military time (5:58 pm)
        City: Seaside,Ca
        Description of Relay segment: From intersection of Fremont Ave at Canyon del
        Ray Blvd to pass Family Health Center at #11-50 Fremont Ave. between Kimball
        Ave and Hilby Ave
        If you are from this area please come to see the event, if not watch for
        your town Olympic Torch Relay.
        See you all at Hardrock (if I don't get in this year perhaps next year)
        Love you all.
        Keep running
        Bozena

        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 15, 2002
          The famous "puppy-pile" on the shoulder below Handies' summit. They, Bozena
          and Ginny, helped all of us make it through that long wait for the snow.
          lightening. wind, and hail to let up. A real HardRock experience!
          Steve
        • LaForme
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 15, 2002
            Oh you guys !

            Actually no one is as selfless as Steve P. who actually ran back DOWN
            Oscars last year during the race to make sure I was OK. I was yelling at him
            to go on, but he wouldn't. can you believe anyone would do this ?
            I'm so proud of Bozena, and glad that she's getting much deserved
            recognition, especialy after her tough year with injuries in '01. Things
            are gonna be different this year for the Plolish terror !.

            Ginny LaForme
            Espanola,NM
            rlaforme@...
            > The famous "puppy-pile" on the shoulder below Handies' summit. They,
            Bozena
            > and Ginny, helped all of us make it through that long wait for the snow.
            > lightening. wind, and hail to let up. A real HardRock experience!
            > Steve

          • Rich Limacher
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 15, 2002
              Yes, Mom, I can.
              HRH is a very special event full of very special people.
              And BTW, I hope everybody's got their postmark today!!!!
              Best wishes to all,
              And to me... another two hours today on StairMaster!
              Rich

              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 15, 2002
                We can't leave Carolyn out of the "puppy pile" story. Without those three
                wonderful ladies of Hardrock we might still be up there waiting for that
                storm to end. Bozena, all us Hardrockers are proud of you, congratulations.
                Harry
              • Trailbuzzard@cs.com
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 15, 2002
                  I meant to say "four wonderful ladies of Hardrock". Jennifier, can you ever
                  forgive me?
                  Harry
                • Rich Limacher
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 16, 2002
                    Dear Friends (ALL of ya!),

                    Point of clarification:
                    My little tribute to Bozena (+ "Mom") was NOT in reference
                    to "the puppy pile." No, the life-saving event which I
                    referred to happened on a different day. It was nearer to
                    Chapman or Putnam, I think, or at some point coming down
                    from Grant-Swamp Pass, if memory serves (which it obviously
                    doesn't). EVERYBODY else had long since sped down the
                    "hill." But I got thoroughly lost and disoriented in the
                    pelting snow/hail/lightning/howlingwind which happened on
                    THAT day. The Handies Blizzard, et al..... well, you guys
                    all remember that one, dontcha?

                    Trust me, Carolyn and Jennifer also--for sure!!!--deserve to
                    carry the torch. Heck, I'd even light it for 'em and try to
                    keep up by riding alongside on my bike.

                    Just, F.Y.I.

                    Rich "Sonnyboy" Limacher
                    aka Butch Casualty
                    and/or The (Wasatch) Sundance Kidder

                    TheTroubadour@...

                    P.S. I also think Harry has bailed my ass out of trouble on
                    occasion as well.

                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 17, 2002
                      Hey, yeah!! As I recall, I was the one in that group huddled on the Handies
                      shoulder who had the most clothing on her body (and was passing some it
                      around to others who were less fortunate....) I even captured the moment on
                      film! Well, I am looking forward to seeing all of those same people at HR
                      2002 (if I make it in, that is) but this time let's not repeat that same
                      experience on the Handies shoulder in a sudden June blizzard. Brrrrr!

                      Yes, Harry....I will always forgive you!

                      Jennifer R.