Re: [hr100] FW: Salt Lake 2002 Olympic Torch Relay

  • Stevan Pattillo
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 14, 2002
      Bozena, Fantastic! I've never know anyone involved in the torch relay. Get
      some pic's.
      Steve Pattillo
    • Rich Limacher
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 14, 2002
        Let me tell y'all how this particular fine young lady once
        inspired me.

        No, scratch that. She, and Ginny LaForme, I believe saved
        my life!!!

        Yes, it was during trailmarking the Hardrock course, and one
        heck of a hailstorm came up--with LIGHTENING!!! etc., etc.,
        etc.--and that succeeded in scaring the royal
        ess-aitch-eye-tea out of EVERYBODY. Including me. And,
        well, so everybody TOOK OFF!!! Runnin' like
        aitch-eeeee!-double-el. 'Cept me, 'corse, 'cuz I don't run
        so dee-ay-em-en fast.

        That's when Bozena (and Ginny) realized I was probably lost,
        or dead, or something. So, they stopped and waited for
        me--in a still-exposed part of the mountaintop--and hollered
        after me till I eventually found them.

        I will never forget Bozena's care for me in this case, nor
        could I ever forget Ginny. And I just wanted to pass this
        along to EVERYBODY because if ANYBODY ever deserved to carry
        this torch, it's GOTTABE Bozena.

        (Ginny too, of course, but she lives in the desert. And
        NOBODY ever lives in a desert. Eh, my friend??? :)

        Congratulations, Bozena. Run like the wind with it (but
        carry some matches just in case. :-)

        Rich Limacher
        TheTroubadour@...

        Yankee Folly for the Day:
        Years ago we prepared for winter by taking down the screens
        and putting up storm windows, caulking, lighting the
        furnace, stuffing old towels under the doors, changing the
        rear tires on the car to snows, and grabbing the shovel out
        of the shed. Now days, we just move to Florida.

        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 15, 2002
          You are all so sweet.
          Little update on the time and location.
          Time of my segment will take place at 17:58 military time (5:58 pm)
          City: Seaside,Ca
          Description of Relay segment: From intersection of Fremont Ave at Canyon del
          Ray Blvd to pass Family Health Center at #11-50 Fremont Ave. between Kimball
          Ave and Hilby Ave
          If you are from this area please come to see the event, if not watch for
          your town Olympic Torch Relay.
          See you all at Hardrock (if I don't get in this year perhaps next year)
          Love you all.
          Keep running
          Bozena

          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 15, 2002
            The famous "puppy-pile" on the shoulder below Handies' summit. They, Bozena
            and Ginny, helped all of us make it through that long wait for the snow.
            lightening. wind, and hail to let up. A real HardRock experience!
            Steve
          • LaForme
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 15, 2002
              Oh you guys !

              Actually no one is as selfless as Steve P. who actually ran back DOWN
              Oscars last year during the race to make sure I was OK. I was yelling at him
              to go on, but he wouldn't. can you believe anyone would do this ?
              I'm so proud of Bozena, and glad that she's getting much deserved
              recognition, especialy after her tough year with injuries in '01. Things
              are gonna be different this year for the Plolish terror !.

              Ginny LaForme
              Espanola,NM
              rlaforme@...
              > The famous "puppy-pile" on the shoulder below Handies' summit. They,
              Bozena
              > and Ginny, helped all of us make it through that long wait for the snow.
              > lightening. wind, and hail to let up. A real HardRock experience!
              > Steve

            • Rich Limacher
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 15, 2002
                Yes, Mom, I can.
                HRH is a very special event full of very special people.
                And BTW, I hope everybody's got their postmark today!!!!
                Best wishes to all,
                And to me... another two hours today on StairMaster!
                Rich

                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 15, 2002
                  We can't leave Carolyn out of the "puppy pile" story. Without those three
                  wonderful ladies of Hardrock we might still be up there waiting for that
                  storm to end. Bozena, all us Hardrockers are proud of you, congratulations.
                  Harry
                • Trailbuzzard@cs.com
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 15, 2002
                    I meant to say "four wonderful ladies of Hardrock". Jennifier, can you ever
                    forgive me?
                    Harry
                  • Rich Limacher
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 16, 2002
                      Dear Friends (ALL of ya!),

                      Point of clarification:
                      My little tribute to Bozena (+ "Mom") was NOT in reference
                      to "the puppy pile." No, the life-saving event which I
                      referred to happened on a different day. It was nearer to
                      Chapman or Putnam, I think, or at some point coming down
                      from Grant-Swamp Pass, if memory serves (which it obviously
                      doesn't). EVERYBODY else had long since sped down the
                      "hill." But I got thoroughly lost and disoriented in the
                      pelting snow/hail/lightning/howlingwind which happened on
                      THAT day. The Handies Blizzard, et al..... well, you guys
                      all remember that one, dontcha?

                      Trust me, Carolyn and Jennifer also--for sure!!!--deserve to
                      carry the torch. Heck, I'd even light it for 'em and try to
                      keep up by riding alongside on my bike.

                      Just, F.Y.I.

                      Rich "Sonnyboy" Limacher
                      aka Butch Casualty
                      and/or The (Wasatch) Sundance Kidder

                      TheTroubadour@...

                      P.S. I also think Harry has bailed my ass out of trouble on
                      occasion as well.

                      Message 10 of 12 , Jan 17, 2002
                        Hey, yeah!! As I recall, I was the one in that group huddled on the Handies
                        shoulder who had the most clothing on her body (and was passing some it
                        around to others who were less fortunate....) I even captured the moment on
                        film! Well, I am looking forward to seeing all of those same people at HR
                        2002 (if I make it in, that is) but this time let's not repeat that same
                        experience on the Handies shoulder in a sudden June blizzard. Brrrrr!

                        Yes, Harry....I will always forgive you!

                        Jennifer R.