FW: Salt Lake 2002 Olympic Torch Relay

  • Maslanka, Bozena (SC)
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 14, 2002
      > I would like to announce that on January 17 ,2002 I will be carrying the
      > Olympic Torch.
      > It is a great honor for me to participate in one of the most historical
      > event in the world - the Salt Lake 2002 Olympic Torch Relay.
      >
      > The Olympic Flame landed on U.S. soil in Atlanta, Georgia on December 4,
      > 2001 and began an inspirational 65-day journey across the United States.
      > Approximately 11,500 torchbearers will each have the honor to carry the
      > Flame. The Flame will travel through 46 states and will cover over 13,500
      > miles on its way to Salt Lake City and the 2002 Olympic Winter Games,
      > which will commence on
      > February 8, 2002.
      >
      > The Olympic Flame is ignited by the sun's rays in Olympia, Greece and is
      > kept in a lantern that travels with the Relay. A torch is lit from the
      > flame every morning to start that day's Relay. The Olympic Flame is passed
      > from torch to torch. The lantern is closely guarded to ensure that the
      > flame is never extinguished.
      >
      > On March and April of 2001, The Coca-Cola Company and Chevrolet who are
      > the sponsors for Salt Lake 2002 Winter Olympic conducted a nationwide
      > search for individuals who inspired others. I was nominated by a family
      > member as one of those inspirational people to act as torchbearer.
      >
      > I was chosen from more than 210,000 nominees. As the Flame travels from
      > Carmel through Seaside, California it will ignite the local spirit of
      > inspiration. The Torch Relay celebrates not only the athletes who make
      > enormous sacrifices to become Olympians, but also the people from all
      > walks of life who have inspired others to succeed.
      >
      > Bozena Maslanka

    • Lance Goss
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 14, 2002
        Bozena,

        WOW!!!!!! Congratulations. I hope it is a memorable experience for you. Couldn't happen to a better person.

        Lance

        > I would like to announce that on January 17 ,2002 I will be carrying the
        > Olympic Torch.
        > It is a great honor for me to participate in one of the most historical
        > event in the world - the Salt Lake 2002 Olympic Torch Relay.
        >
        > The Olympic Flame landed on U.S. soil in Atlanta, Georgia on December 4,
        > 2001 and began an inspirational 65-day journey across the United States.
        > Approximately 11,500 torchbearers will each have the honor to carry the
        > Flame. The Flame will travel through 46 states and will cover over 13,500
        > miles on its way to Salt Lake City and the 2002 Olympic Winter Games,
        > which will commence on
        > February 8, 2002.
        >
        > The Olympic Flame is ignited by the sun's rays in Olympia, Greece and is
        > kept in a lantern that travels with the Relay. A torch is lit from the
        > flame every morning to start that day's Relay. The Olympic Flame is passed
        > from torch to torch. The lantern is closely guarded to ensure that the
        > flame is never extinguished.
        >
        > On March and April of 2001, The Coca-Cola Company and Chevrolet who are
        > the sponsors for Salt Lake 2002 Winter Olympic conducted a nationwide
        > search for individuals who inspired others. I was nominated by a family
        > member as one of those inspirational people to act as torchbearer.
        >
        > I was chosen from more than 210,000 nominees. As the Flame travels from
        > Carmel through Seaside, California it will ignite the local spirit of
        > inspiration. The Torch Relay celebrates not only the athletes who make
        > enormous sacrifices to become Olympians, but also the people from all
        > walks of life who have inspired others to succeed.
        >
        > Bozena Maslanka

      • Stevan Pattillo
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 14, 2002
          Bozena, Fantastic! I've never know anyone involved in the torch relay. Get
          some pic's.
          Steve Pattillo
        • Rich Limacher
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 14, 2002
            Let me tell y'all how this particular fine young lady once
            inspired me.

            No, scratch that. She, and Ginny LaForme, I believe saved
            my life!!!

            Yes, it was during trailmarking the Hardrock course, and one
            heck of a hailstorm came up--with LIGHTENING!!! etc., etc.,
            etc.--and that succeeded in scaring the royal
            ess-aitch-eye-tea out of EVERYBODY. Including me. And,
            well, so everybody TOOK OFF!!! Runnin' like
            aitch-eeeee!-double-el. 'Cept me, 'corse, 'cuz I don't run
            so dee-ay-em-en fast.

            That's when Bozena (and Ginny) realized I was probably lost,
            or dead, or something. So, they stopped and waited for
            me--in a still-exposed part of the mountaintop--and hollered
            after me till I eventually found them.

            I will never forget Bozena's care for me in this case, nor
            could I ever forget Ginny. And I just wanted to pass this
            along to EVERYBODY because if ANYBODY ever deserved to carry
            this torch, it's GOTTABE Bozena.

            (Ginny too, of course, but she lives in the desert. And
            NOBODY ever lives in a desert. Eh, my friend??? :)

            Congratulations, Bozena. Run like the wind with it (but
            carry some matches just in case. :-)

            Rich Limacher
            TheTroubadour@...

            Yankee Folly for the Day:
            Years ago we prepared for winter by taking down the screens
            and putting up storm windows, caulking, lighting the
            furnace, stuffing old towels under the doors, changing the
            rear tires on the car to snows, and grabbing the shovel out
            of the shed. Now days, we just move to Florida.

            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 15, 2002
              You are all so sweet.
              Little update on the time and location.
              Time of my segment will take place at 17:58 military time (5:58 pm)
              City: Seaside,Ca
              Description of Relay segment: From intersection of Fremont Ave at Canyon del
              Ray Blvd to pass Family Health Center at #11-50 Fremont Ave. between Kimball
              Ave and Hilby Ave
              If you are from this area please come to see the event, if not watch for
              your town Olympic Torch Relay.
              See you all at Hardrock (if I don't get in this year perhaps next year)
              Love you all.
              Keep running
              Bozena

              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 15, 2002
                The famous "puppy-pile" on the shoulder below Handies' summit. They, Bozena
                and Ginny, helped all of us make it through that long wait for the snow.
                lightening. wind, and hail to let up. A real HardRock experience!
                Steve
              • LaForme
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 15, 2002
                  Oh you guys !

                  Actually no one is as selfless as Steve P. who actually ran back DOWN
                  Oscars last year during the race to make sure I was OK. I was yelling at him
                  to go on, but he wouldn't. can you believe anyone would do this ?
                  I'm so proud of Bozena, and glad that she's getting much deserved
                  recognition, especialy after her tough year with injuries in '01. Things
                  are gonna be different this year for the Plolish terror !.

                  Ginny LaForme
                  Espanola,NM
                  rlaforme@...
                  > The famous "puppy-pile" on the shoulder below Handies' summit. They,
                  Bozena
                  > and Ginny, helped all of us make it through that long wait for the snow.
                  > lightening. wind, and hail to let up. A real HardRock experience!
                  > Steve

                • Rich Limacher
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 15, 2002
                    Yes, Mom, I can.
                    HRH is a very special event full of very special people.
                    And BTW, I hope everybody's got their postmark today!!!!
                    Best wishes to all,
                    And to me... another two hours today on StairMaster!
                    Rich

                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 15, 2002
                      We can't leave Carolyn out of the "puppy pile" story. Without those three
                      wonderful ladies of Hardrock we might still be up there waiting for that
                      storm to end. Bozena, all us Hardrockers are proud of you, congratulations.
                      Harry
                    • Trailbuzzard@cs.com
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jan 15, 2002
                        I meant to say "four wonderful ladies of Hardrock". Jennifier, can you ever
                        forgive me?
                        Harry
                      • Rich Limacher
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jan 16, 2002
                          Dear Friends (ALL of ya!),

                          Point of clarification:
                          My little tribute to Bozena (+ "Mom") was NOT in reference
                          to "the puppy pile." No, the life-saving event which I
                          referred to happened on a different day. It was nearer to
                          Chapman or Putnam, I think, or at some point coming down
                          from Grant-Swamp Pass, if memory serves (which it obviously
                          doesn't). EVERYBODY else had long since sped down the
                          "hill." But I got thoroughly lost and disoriented in the
                          pelting snow/hail/lightning/howlingwind which happened on
                          THAT day. The Handies Blizzard, et al..... well, you guys
                          all remember that one, dontcha?

                          Trust me, Carolyn and Jennifer also--for sure!!!--deserve to
                          carry the torch. Heck, I'd even light it for 'em and try to
                          keep up by riding alongside on my bike.

                          Just, F.Y.I.

                          Rich "Sonnyboy" Limacher
                          aka Butch Casualty
                          and/or The (Wasatch) Sundance Kidder

                          TheTroubadour@...

                          P.S. I also think Harry has bailed my ass out of trouble on
                          occasion as well.

                          Message 12 of 12 , Jan 17, 2002
                            Hey, yeah!! As I recall, I was the one in that group huddled on the Handies
                            shoulder who had the most clothing on her body (and was passing some it
                            around to others who were less fortunate....) I even captured the moment on
                            film! Well, I am looking forward to seeing all of those same people at HR
                            2002 (if I make it in, that is) but this time let's not repeat that same
                            experience on the Handies shoulder in a sudden June blizzard. Brrrrr!

                            Yes, Harry....I will always forgive you!

                            Jennifer R.