[hr100] water

  • Greg Loomis
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 25, 2000
      Hey,

      Matt- you can't get immune to Giardia- but I would think the streams
      that high up would not have to many beaver or vermon. I would think
      that there would be enough snow around in drifts to have accessable for
      water? Yes? To me nothing like a fist or two of snow to hydrate and
      cool you off.
      Is the problem of people getting lost a matter of the reduced mental
      abilities at altitude and fatigue induced dumbness or is the course not
      marked so good?

      In general I'm sooooo happy to be in the race and glad this list is
      available to help prepare me and some other less experianced runners.

      Greg Loomis
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 25, 2000
        --- Greg Loomis <loomdog@...> wrote:
        > Matt- you can't get immune to Giardia

        Maybe not, in which case I'm probably carrying it with
        no symptoms. In either case, I don't need to worry
        about treating water.

        > To me nothing like a fist or two of
        > snow to hydrate and
        > cool you off.

        I've eaten snow when I've run out of water, but I can
        only eat a bit at a time without freezing my mouth, so
        its not my preferred method of hydration.

        > Is the problem of people getting lost a matter of
        > the reduced mental
        > abilities at altitude and fatigue induced dumbness
        > or is the course not
        > marked so good?

        I don't think the altitude is a problem as much as
        fatigue and missing flags in the dark above treeline
        where there are usually no trails. Blake Wood and
        David Horton can both tell you about the second night
        effect at Barkley (1400-3300 ft). It interferes with
        your ability to navigate even in familiar territory
        where you would ordinarily have no problem. When I
        climbed Putnam Basin I was absolutely convinced I had
        never seen any of it even though I knew full well I
        hiked the same course a week earlier.

        =====
        http://im.yahoo.com
      • Blake P. Wood
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 25, 2000
          Very true! This was a real revelation to me, since I hadn't
          been out for a second night before without getting at least some
          sleep. I'd already been over that particular section of trail
          three times THAT DAY, in addition to six add'l times in my
          previous two runnings of Barkley, and parts of it still looked
          so unfamiliar that I ran back for a ways along the trail,
          convinced that I must have missed a turn, all the while knowing
          that I COULDN'T have missed a turn, since there weren't
          any. When I finally gave up and returned to camp, I had the
          same thing happen on a different section of trail that I'd been
          over only a couple hours before. Very weird!

          - Blake

          Blake P. Wood
          Physics Div., Plasma Physics Group P-24, MS-E526,
          Los Alamos Nat'l Lab, Los Alamos NM 87545
          (505) 665-6524 Fax: (505) 665-3552 bwood@...
          http://microserf.lanl.gov/bpw/bpwplan.html