[hr100] Re: Drinking water along the course

  • Mitchell A. Rossman
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 25, 2000
      Matt:

      I plan on taking one of my "SafeWater Anywhere" bottles with a mesh screen and
      built in filter. They were recommended to me late November after I posted a
      query to the Ultralist. I bought one and tried it. As people said, they work
      like a champ, easy to fill, with a high flow rate. No chance of getting sick.
      No financial interest.

      Mitch Rossman
      Minneapolis

      Matt Mahoney <matmahoney@...> on 02/24/2000 04:43:56 PM

      Please respond to hr100@egroups.com

      To: hr100@egroups.com
      cc: (bcc: Mitchell A. Rossman/MIPP/Imation)
      Subject: [hr100] Re: Drinking water along the course

      There is enough water on the Hardrock course that I
      usually don't bother to fill both bottles in order to
      save weight. You can treat the water if you want, but
      since I already had giardia a few years ago I figure
      I'm immune to it now and don't bother.

      =====

      @Backup-The Easiest Way to Protect and Access your files.
      Automatic backups and off-site storage of your critical data. Install
      your FREE trial today and have a chance to WIN a digital camera!
      Click here.
      http://click.egroups.com/1/1830/1/_/382674/_/951432368/

      -- http://www.egroups.com/cal?listname=hr100&m=1
    • Keri French
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 26, 2000
        Blake P. Wood wrote:

        > Duncan - There is plenty of water on the course, except over
        > some of the high passes. I'd guess that the longest you could
        > be away from a stream of water is 2 hours. Either a filter
        > bottle or iodine will work fine. I've always used the
        > latter. Matt Mahoney will probably tell you that he doesn't
        > bother to treat the water at all, but I'm not as brave as him.
        >
        > - Blake
        >
        > Blake P. Wood
        > Physics Div., Plasma Physics Group P-24, MS-E526,
        > Los Alamos Nat'l Lab, Los Alamos NM 87545
        > (505) 665-6524 Fax: (505) 665-3552 bwood@...
        > http://microserf.lanl.gov/bpw/bpwplan.html
        >
        > At 02:16 PM 2/24/00 -0700, Duncan Orr wrote:
        > What's the scoop on drinking water along the course? Is it
        > important to carry all water as in most other 100's or are there
        > enough safe creeks that we do not have to carry as much? Are
        > there creeks most everywhere? Do runners carry filters? Any
        > insight would be appreciated.

        > Apply NOW!

        > -- http://www.egroups.com/vote?listname=hr100&m=1

        here is yet another response about the drinking water topic. I was
        hesitant to drink from the streams at first but upon hearing from a number
        of people who suffered no ill effect from it , I give it a go. It was nice
        to only have to carry two bottles. Iwas selective where I filled up
        choosing to use smaller side streams in the canyons coming off of slopes
        where even ultrarunners haven't been. This made it easy to stay very
        hydrated through the entire course. Besides if you should get giardia you
        can take a pill for it and get over it. If you DNF due to dehydration
        complications thats gonna be a lot harder to get over as a lot of us can
        attest to.
      • Michael A. Farris
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 29, 2000
          Jan wrote:

          > Besides if you should get giardia you can take a pill for it and
          >get over it.

          Giardia seems to affect people quite differently. Some are totally
          unaffected, others can become extremely ill. Drugs can help, but
          won't cure it. If you've seen somebody with severe Giardia problems
          you will think twice before drinking untreated water. I have no idea
          if people show variable sensitivity to Cryptosporidium. As pointed
          out, you can't develop resistance to Giardia or Crypto.

          My strategy is to only drink clean water prior to the race, then use
          untreated water during the race only when necessary. See for more
          info:

          http://www.fc.net/~tdeagan/water/one.html

          Virtually all of our snow melted this week-maybe we'll get to leave
          the roads and hit the trails again.

          Mike

          Dr. Mike Farris mfarris@...
          Associate Professor of Biology http://www.hamline.edu/~mfarris
          Hamline University, St. Paul, MN 55014
        • Chip Tuthill
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 29, 2000
            At 09:09 AM 2/29/00 -0600, you wrote:
            >Jan wrote:
            >
            >> Besides if you should get giardia you can take a pill for it and
            >>get over it.
            >
            >Giardia seems to affect people quite differently. Some are totally
            >unaffected, others can become extremely ill. Drugs can help, but
            >won't cure it.

            Many years ago (12) i spent 49 days trekking and fighting stomach ailments
            in Nepal. One night in Lukla, my room mate decided enough. Instead of
            putting me out of my misery, he gave me a Swiss drug Tinabar. One dose
            cured 5.5 weeks of dysentary. I don't know if it is available in the US.
            Flagyl is/was a drug available for treating Giardia. That drug took 2 weeks
            to cure me in the US. Stay away from untested sources, treat the water
            or take the cure.

            chip tuthill

            >My strategy is to only drink clean water prior to the race, then use
            >untreated water during the race only when necessary. See for more
            >info:
            >
            >http://www.fc.net/~tdeagan/water/one.html
          • Carl & Sally Yates
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 29, 2000
              Flagyl has cured my giardia but rough stuff and no booze with it. Try
              Citricidal a grapefruit seed extract from Nutribiotic which works also two
              other possibilities that I haven't used but would consider since they have
              been reported to cure giardia: Oliveleaf extract (16% or more oleuropin) and
              colostrum.