RE: [hr100] Hardrock Hundred Clarification

    Message 1 of 21 , Nov 12, 2001
      --- "Maslanka, Bozena (SC)" <bmaslank@...>
      wrote:
      > Matt,
      > Since you sound like you have a lot of money to
      > spend, can you pay my entry
      > fee?

      Sure, at Wickham Park :-)

      > Please don't forget that not everyone is use to
      > sleeping in one person tent
      > and take baths in cold rivers.

      I think it's good training. I don't know if anyone
      else has noticed but it seems to me that people that
      demand the most comfort outside the race are the first
      ones to drop out when the going gets tough.

      > Please be more sensitive making silly suggestions.

      I don't think it's silly. If you have 200 entrants
      and 100 slots, then half of them aren't going to like
      the selection process no matter how fair you try to
      make it. I think it's noble that Hardrock intends to
      keep the entry fee below what the market will bear,
      but then they just have to substitute some other
      arbitrary hurdle to limit entries. This could be a
      lottery (like Western States), a trail work
      requirement (like Wasatch), or tougher qualifying
      standards (like the world championships or Ironman).
      "None of the above" is not an option. You must choose
      names somehow, and there is no way to do it and still
      keep everyone happy.

      The point of my previous post was to ask what is so
      special about Hardrock that it fills up when there are
      plenty of cheap or free races? It is not like you
      have to have a lot of money to run ultras. But if you
      want prestige, I think you should have to pay for it.

      =====

      Find a job, post your resume.
      http://careers.yahoo.com
    • jfisher
      Message 2 of 21 , Nov 12, 2001
        Hey Matt
        (Can I give you a little personal advise -- free of charge
        You best back off your arrogant attitude, and maybe even consider
        apologizing,
        before you put your foot into it a little further than you can chew.)
        Your cold logic and rational below do not cover up your total lack of
        understanding, glory grabbing, patting yourself on the back or whatever it is
        that you are doing, and thinking the rest of the HR100 runners are to dumb to
        see through it.

        GET THIS plain and simple, the Hardrock is not about prestige, recognition,
        money, being noble, or whatever else is in your mind. If as you stated so
        clearly below in your reply to Bozena and also in your reply to Joe Clapper,
        in your mind you equate the specialness of the Hardrock with prestige,
        recognition, or whatever else you are projecting onto it -- then you have
        missed the point of the run entirely. It is very sad that even though you
        have been there many years, you could not see through your own little
        attention grabbing world, to see the real beauty of what the Hardrock 100
        really is. 1st as stated in so many of the HR100 documents this event is
        about the runners testing themselves against those incredibly beautiful
        mountains. 2nd It is about the runners period; testing themselves personally,
        reaching past themselves -- out to other runners, camaraderie, seeing the
        inner beauty and strengths of the other runners and helpers on the course.
        (Not just seeing everyone else as more people upon which to inflict yourself
        and as victims upon whom your can expound your personal glories and athletic
        feats) This is a lesson that you would best learn from Joel Zuker. Every
        person associated with the Hardrock felt a great loss with his departure,
        because we were all his friends --- because he saw all of us as friends (not
        competitors, to play one up-man-ship verbal games with). Joel never met a
        stranger, every person he encountered he instantly saw a friend. And he
        equally instantly reached out to be of service, to contribute to the life of
        his newly found friend. That is what the Hardrock is about -- FRIENDS,
        voluntarily contributing to each other, because they are our friends, because
        we care about them. Again it is sad that you have missed one of the real
        beauties of the Hardrock, the other people (because you were so busy looking
        at yourself) The Hardrock is about the joy, happiness, the friendships, the
        love that get created when people come together with respect for each other
        and for the common purpose of running through the mountains together.

        My suggestion to the selection committee of -- Contributing to others (this
        event) because you care about them, is not an arbitrary hurdle. (and it is
        not one that you could probably leap over or crawl under) If all you have to
        contribute is -- raise the price, raise the price, make them pay, make them
        pay -- then you best keep your mouth shut and contribute nothing at all. I
        and many others are embarrassed that you could not even see Bozena's or Joe's
        genuine concern (financially) for themselves and for others, and that
        Bozena's hints were to subtle for you, that you chose instead to add further
        insult to injury. You best go take a bath in an icy river yourself and chill
        out your inflated (recognition and prestige seeking) ego. These things do not
        belong at the Hardrock.

        Joel Zuker, Joe Clapper, Bozena Maslanka, & I may never run Nolan's 14 but
        there are a few things you can still learn from us, actually something you
        are desperately seeking -- a way out of your lonelyness. Please consider what
        was offered here, out of genuine compassion for you.

        Finally Matt, I am sincerely sorry that I had to be the one who had to be so
        blunt and crude to you -- you asked for it many times and others were to
        polite. As said above, I am deeply saddened that you have failed to find one
        of the real goals and beauty of the Hardrock, FRIENDS, connecting sincerely
        and genuinely with the other people. Please come this next year with that
        being your goal. For you it will be harder than running the course -- I
        guarentee you Matt the reward will also be much greater. It's called
        happiness.

        Jim Fisher

      • laurantodd@pcisys.net
        Message 3 of 21 , Nov 12, 2001
          Jim and Matt,
          Thanks for generating conversation. I hate waiting for the snow reports to
          start thinking about the Silverton One-Lap Fun Run. Here's my two cents:
          I hope Hardrock never ...
          1. Becomes like Leadville in that everyone who enters is accepted. The high-
          altitude trails can't handle that type of abuse, and the small size of
          Hardrock -- where you are treated like family -- is one of its most appealing
          aspects. If given the choice, I'd rather have the race limited to 100 and know
          that I'm not allowed in than have it be 150 and be guaranteed an entry spot. If
          Hardrock were ever to open itself to all-comers I wouldn't enter. Hardrock
          would no longer be Hardrock. (Note: This is not a knock on Leadville, which has
          a lot of jeep road, is at a lower altitude, is on more-developed trails and can
          handle more people than Hardrock. I think Leadville is crowded, and the
          character of the race has gotten worse as it has gotten bigger, but Leadville
          is still a great race).
          2. Comes down to a points system. You runners and volunteers who started this
          race and kept it going deserve the first crack at entry spots. This is your
          race. You took the initial risks. You kept the race going. You kept it low-key
          and challenging. You made it the coolest race there is. Rewarding the people
          who started this race and help keep it going evey year I totally agree with.
          But if a points system were instituted, I could see people marking the course,
          volunteering, pacing, etc., to get the points and NOT to mark the course,
          volunteer, pace, etc. That would be so wrong.
          3. Becomes like the Ironman in that dollars improve your lottery position. For
          those not familiar, the Ironman has a separate lottery for its club members who
          pay extra for that privilege. That's on top of its ungodly cost. I love the
          challenge of the Ironman but the cost is one of the things that makes me an
          ultra freak and not a tri-geek.
          Todd Burgess

          > --- "Maslanka, Bozena (SC)" <bmaslank@...>
          > wrote:
          > > Matt,
          > > Since you sound like you have a lot of money to
          > > spend, can you pay my entry
          > > fee?
          >
          > Sure, at Wickham Park :-)
          >
          > > Please don't forget that not everyone is use to
          > > sleeping in one person tent
          > > and take baths in cold rivers.
          >
          > I think it's good training. I don't know if anyone
          > else has noticed but it seems to me that people that
          > demand the most comfort outside the race are the first
          > ones to drop out when the going gets tough.
          >
          > > Please be more sensitive making silly suggestions.
          >
          > I don't think it's silly. If you have 200 entrants
          > and 100 slots, then half of them aren't going to like
          > the selection process no matter how fair you try to
          > make it. I think it's noble that Hardrock intends to
          > keep the entry fee below what the market will bear,
          > but then they just have to substitute some other
          > arbitrary hurdle to limit entries. This could be a
          > lottery (like Western States), a trail work
          > requirement (like Wasatch), or tougher qualifying
          > standards (like the world championships or Ironman).
          > "None of the above" is not an option. You must choose
          > names somehow, and there is no way to do it and still
          > keep everyone happy.
          >
          > The point of my previous post was to ask what is so
          > special about Hardrock that it fills up when there are
          > plenty of cheap or free races? It is not like you
          > have to have a lot of money to run ultras. But if you
          > want prestige, I think you should have to pay for it.
          >

          > =====
          > -- Matt Mahoney, matmahoney@...

        • Dick Huff
          Message 4 of 21 , Nov 13, 2001
            Hello everyone!

            I am a relative newcomer to Hardrock, the first year as a pacer, the second
            year as a runner (DNF). I can understand why everyone is afraid of not being
            included each year. Hardrock is a truly special event. It does not take very
            long to get to know everyone and be involved in all aspects of the event.
            Everyone's stories of success and failure come in to play each year. I think
            you all look forward to being a part of each others lives during Hardrock.

            The inevitable is happening, Ultras are becoming more popular and more
            people want to participate. Unfortunately, there is not enough room at
            Hardrock each year for the growing masses. I have a suggestion for entry
            requirements: limit the number of times people are allowed to attempt
            Hardrock to Three. This may seem like harsh reality at the initial stage. We
            will all miss all of the five time finishers, whether Kirk Apt can continue
            his awesome streak. But, if you all hold Hardrock in such high regard, then
            you can come back year after year and mark the course, pace, volunteer, or
            work at the Aid Stations. You can still be a part of all of the fun,
            excitement, the people, the beautiful mountains without being a runner every
            year.

            I agree with Jim Fisher, Hardrock is magical and is about friends. Like I
            said, I am a newcomer to Hardrock, I liked being a part of and accepted by
            such a fascinating group of people from the first day. That is just human
            nature. Why not let as many people be a part Hardrock. I must admit, after
            the first year, I decided that I wanted to go back to Hardrock and run every
            year. I now know that would be a very selfish thing to do. I was grateful
            for the opportunity to run. I think everyone should be willing to let as
            many people experience Hardrock as possible, let some other runners achieve
            there goals. The names and faces will change over the years, the magic of
            Hardrock will always be there.

            It is a tribute to Dale Garland that everyone has such strong emotions about
            Hardrock. I have not heard Dale comment about the large number of applicants
            expected this year. Has this problem been created by the runners? Are we
            all getting excited for no reason? Dale-Are you concerned about this at all?

            Thanks everyone.

            Dick Huff

> [...]
            > > and 100 slots, then half of them aren't going to like
            > > the selection process no matter how fair you try to
            > > make it. I think it's noble that Hardrock intends to
            > > keep the entry fee below what the market will bear,
            > > but then they just have to substitute some other
            > > arbitrary hurdle to limit entries. This could be a
            > > lottery (like Western States), a trail work
            > > requirement (like Wasatch), or tougher qualifying
            > > standards (like the world championships or Ironman).
            > > "None of the above" is not an option. You must choose
            > > names somehow, and there is no way to do it and still
            > > keep everyone happy.
            > >
            > > The point of my previous post was to ask what is so
            > > special about Hardrock that it fills up when there are
            > > plenty of cheap or free races? It is not like you
            > > have to have a lot of money to run ultras. But if you
            > > want prestige, I think you should have to pay for it.

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • Herr, Dennis B.
            Message 5 of 21 , Nov 13, 2001
              Matt wrote:

              You must choose
              names somehow, and there is no way to do it and still
              keep everyone happy.

              How about the old dart board?

              Dennis

              -
            • Maslanka, Bozena (SC)
              Message 6 of 21 , Nov 13, 2001
                Matt,
                I will try not insult you because I thought that you were very intelligent
                person.
                What is wrong with you, have you lost it completely?
                Please read all the responses you made and seek medical help. It may not be
                too late.
                All the glory and t-shirts you mention earlier, well what is up with the one
                pair of shorts and one pair of t-shirt you have been wearing for the past
                four years.
                Stop making ass of yourself.
                Bozena

                Message 7 of 21 , Nov 13, 2001
                  Come on people; get a sense of humor!

                  Get a life outside of running.

                  What happened to the spirit of charity
                  and unity that has been ballyhooed since
                  9-11?

                  Dennis Herr

                  Message 8 of 21 , Nov 13, 2001
                    Sorry if I sounded self-centered in my last post. I
                    guess I am. I didn't mean to insult everyone that
                    stays in a hotel in Silverton. I camp because I'm
                    cheap.

                    I don't want to pay a higher entry fee at Hardrock.
                    What I am trying to say is there isn't any painless
                    way to limit entries. We could have everyone with
                    last names starting with A through L run next year and
                    M through Z in 2003. I know that's arbitrary, but so
                    is every other method that anyone has come up with.
                    Somebody isn't going to like it.

                    I enjoy Hardrock because it's a chance to see my
                    friends, although I seem to have fewer of them now.

                    =====

                    http://personals.yahoo.com
                  • Stevan Pattillo
                    Message 9 of 21 , Nov 13, 2001
                      Jimmy, Oh come on, try not to be so hard on Matt. He is initiating a
                      discussion not asking for an on-line personnality inventory and analysis.
                      Any discussion the entry proceedure is bound to be contentious, it needs to
                      be thought provoking if we are to come up with any new approaches. Most of
                      us are too far gone to be helped by any drive-up psychoanalysis. That is
                      what makes us such a "colorful" bunch, and possibly why we enjoy each
                      other's company at Hardrock.
                      As an aside; I'm glad I'm not the person who has to decide just how many
                      entries and the selection criteria that allows most of us to qualify for
                      what is beginning to look more and more like a day out program for a
                      comunity based mental health program.
                    • dale garland
                      Message 10 of 21 , Nov 13, 2001
                        Hi Everyone
                        Dick Huff has asked what my thoughts on what has been said the past
                        couple of days so here goes! I know I am speaking for all of us involved
                        in the HRH when I say we are honored that this run means so much to
                        people. The people involved with putting this run on are truly a special
                        group of people; but those of who who subscribe to this list already
                        know that. I find it a bit unsettling that the dialogue that transpired
                        did take a personal note and kudos to both Jim and Matt for realizing
                        that this list isn't the best place for such a dialogue.
                        The selection of runners for the HRH has become much more complicated
                        than any of us (the organizers/run committe/Board of Directors) ever
                        imagined it would be. Once again, I am speaking for the run as a whole
                        when I say that we are all dedicated to keeping the Hardrock Hundred an
                        event for those who want to challenge themselves against our course and
                        themselves.
                        This years selection process favors those who have been part of our
                        "family". There is a bias in this years selection process toward those
                        who have attempted/completed our run. We have allocated slots for people
                        who want to experience the HRH for the first time but the number is less
                        than the number allocated for previous participants. Does this mean that
                        all of you who want to run in 2002 will be here in July? None of us can
                        answer that question until the first of February when we sit down and
                        look at the applications. If this selection process doesn't work then
                        we'll definitely revamp it for 2003 and you can count on us getting your
                        opinion.
                        Personally speaking, all of you are the biggest part of why I stay
                        involved in this run. I hope to see all of you who want to be here in
                        July.
                        Dale Garland
                        RD, HRH

                        Message 11 of 21 , Nov 14, 2001
                          Obviously, the Hardrock Committee is a victim
                          of its own success, so maybe it's time to raise
                          the ante. How about no crews, no aid stations
                          and no course markings (except on your maps)?
                          In other words, no more pampering. That should
                          cut out some of the deadwood. Call it a natural
                          selection process. It should make the committee's
                          job a lot easier. Remember, this is billed as a
                          post-grad event. I'm sure Matt would be the first
                          to endorse this format.

                          dennis
                          Message 12 of 21 , Nov 14, 2001
                            --- "Herr, Dennis B." <dennis_herr@...> wrote:
                            > Obviously, the Hardrock Committee is a victim
                            > of its own success, so maybe it's time to raise
                            > the ante. How about no crews, no aid stations
                            > and no course markings (except on your maps)?
                            > In other words, no more pampering. That should
                            > cut out some of the deadwood. Call it a natural
                            > selection process. It should make the committee's
                            > job a lot easier. Remember, this is billed as a
                            > post-grad event. I'm sure Matt would be the first
                            > to endorse this format.

                            Great idea. In fact we can be flexible about the
                            starting time and date. Just go run the course on
                            your own and tell us how long it took. We can even
                            drop the entry fee and qualifications. And for those
                            who are bored with the current course or don't think
                            it's tough enough, I can suggest a few changes around
                            Sneffels, Sunshine, and Redcloud.

                            =====

                            http://personals.yahoo.com
                          • Stevan Pattillo
                            Message 13 of 21 , Nov 14, 2001
                              But, But, But? No T-shirt? Now that is going too far!
                              Steve