Re: [hr100] Hardrock Hundred Clarification

    Message 1 of 21 , Nov 11, 2001
      I think the best way to limit entries to Hardrock is
      to raise the entry fee and let the market take care of
      it. A few years ago I took a survey to see how much
      people would pay to run Western States if they could
      be guaranteed entry. The answer was that about half
      would be willing to pay $300, which was about twice
      the entry fee at the time, when the acceptance rate
      was 50%. Considering inflation and all the publicity
      we got on TV, you probably need to charge about
      $400-$500.

      Of course, volunteers should get guaranteed, free
      entry as a reward. Don't forget that in 1997 I spent
      14 hours with Don Winkley and Hal Winton pulling
      markers from Maggie Gulch to Handies Peak on the
      Monday after the race. I also went on several course
      marking hikes, but these don't count since it's just
      Charlie Thorn marking the course and 20 people tagging
      along.

      I also think race directors should get free entry.
      I'll give all Hardrock staff and volunteers free entry
      to the Wickham Park 200.

      You could also take the Leadville approach and accept
      500 runners with no qualifications. This really isn't
      so bad, since most runners will be dropping out at
      Arrastra Gulch when they realize they have to get
      their feet wet...

      =====

      Find a job, post your resume.
      http://careers.yahoo.com
    • clapper@american.edu
      Message 2 of 21 , Nov 12, 2001
        I usually let the chatter go by, but I have to speak up on this one.
        Limiting entries by raising the fee sends our sport in the same direction
        as skiing and golf: towards the upper middle class, white suburban, middle
        age elite. I believe we should be going the other way and reaching out to
        younger people of lesser means. When I first started in this sport I had
        to limit my competition because I could not afford races; even if I sleep
        in my car and brought my own food. I think for a lot of young folks a
        $100+ entry fee is already prohibitive. I propose that more race directors
        do what Bull Run Run does and offer free entry based on financial need.

        Joe Clapper

        Matt Mahoney <matmahoney@...> on 11/11/2001 02:21:29 PM

        Please respond to hr100@yahoogroups.com

        To: hr100@yahoogroups.com
        cc:
        Subject: Re: [hr100] Hardrock Hundred Clarification

        Message 3 of 21 , Nov 12, 2001
          --- clapper@... wrote:

          > I usually let the chatter go by, but I have to speak
          > up on this one.
          > Limiting entries by raising the fee sends our sport
          > in the same direction
          > as skiing and golf: towards the upper middle class,
          > white suburban, middle
          > age elite.

          I thought we already did that. In any case, there's
          plenty of cheap or free ultras, like the MTN RNR
          series, Barkley, Nolan's 14, and lots of fat ass races
          including some 100 milers. They can be short or long,
          easy or as tough as you like, just like the "real"
          ultras that charge big entry fees and have lotteries
          or trail work requirements. The only difference I can
          see is that in a "real" ultra you get a T-shirt that
          people will recognize. "Oh yeah, I saw that race on
          TV. It looked really tough" instead of "Wickham Park,
          what's that?" Sorry, recognition is in big demand and
          there is a short supply of it, so simple economics
          says you gotta pay for it. Or is there some other
          reason to run the big ultras?

          =====

          Find a job, post your resume.
          http://careers.yahoo.com
        • Maslanka, Bozena (SC)
          Message 4 of 21 , Nov 12, 2001
            Matt,
            Since you sound like you have a lot of money to spend, can you pay my entry
            fee?
            Please don't forget that not everyone is use to sleeping in one person tent
            and take baths in cold rivers. How about the money the rest of us spend it
            town where the race is. How about hotels, food. Don't forget that not
            everyone is a teacher and has two months vacation every summer. Some of us
            have to take unpaid time off from work. And most important, most of us have
            kids.
            Please be more sensitive making silly suggestions.
            Thanks
            Bozena

            > I usually let the chatter go by, but I have to speak
            > up on this one.
            > Limiting entries by raising the fee sends our sport
            > in the same direction
            > as skiing and golf: towards the upper middle class,
            > white suburban, middle
            > age elite.

            I thought we already did that. In any case, there's
            plenty of cheap or free ultras, like the MTN RNR
            series, Barkley, Nolan's 14, and lots of fat ass races
            including some 100 milers. They can be short or long,
            easy or as tough as you like, just like the "real"
            ultras that charge big entry fees and have lotteries
            or trail work requirements. The only difference I can
            see is that in a "real" ultra you get a T-shirt that
            people will recognize. "Oh yeah, I saw that race on
            TV. It looked really tough" instead of "Wickham Park,
            what's that?" Sorry, recognition is in big demand and
            there is a short supply of it, so simple economics
            says you gotta pay for it. Or is there some other
            reason to run the big ultras?

            =====

          • Rebecca Clark and Blake Wood
            Message 5 of 21 , Nov 12, 2001
              jfisher wrote:

              > Thus my suggestion; Give some rating or credit in the selection process to
              > those applicants who have given service to and benefitted the run. ...

              I don't have the entry acceptance algorithm right at hand, but there are a
              limited number of slots (5, I think) put aside for people who have provided
              extraordinary service to Hardrock. This doesn't quite address Jim's suggestion,
              which seems aimed more at the worker bees than at those who fill some specific
              role (the canonical example being Lisa Richardson in 2001). However, a large
              number of slots - about half in fact - are doled out at the selection committee's
              discretion. You should rest assured that the kind of service Jim refers to will
              play a large role in how these slots are awarded. I agree with Jim that one of
              the things that makes Hardrock what it is are the people who come back year after
              year to help mark the course, work an aid station, pace another runner, etc. I
              agree also that these people should be encouraged and rewarded for their
              dedication. The Hardrock Board is not at all interested in making Hardrock an
              elite race, but would rather preserve the ambiance that has made it such a great
              experience in the past.

              Concerning Matt and Joe's comments about entry fees: although we could easily
              charge much more and still fill our entry quota, the Board voted not to increase
              fees. In general, we feel that as long as we're covering expenses and have
              enough in the bank to survive another cancelled run, like '95, there is no need
              to increase fees, even to provide additional amenities that are provided in other
              runs, but which few of us feel are needed at Hardrock.

              - Blake

              Blake Wood and Rebecca Clark
              1146 Big Rock Loop
              Los Alamos, NM 87544
              bwood@...
              505-662-4763
            • Keith Knipling
              Message 6 of 21 , Nov 12, 2001
                One thing you should know about Matt Mahoney is that EVERYTHING he writes
                should be taken with a grain of salt. While his posts are usually
                informative, accurate, and beneficial, everything he says is usually said
                very much tongue-in-cheek. Whatever he says, though eccentric as it may
                seem, is usually genuine and never intended to insult anyone.

                Now to comment on what Joe said:

                I believe we should be going the other way and reaching out to
                younger people of lesser means.

                Right on! I hope 26 on a student budget qualifies. I think the committee
                should accept all applicants outside of 2 standard deviations of the mean
                age, which I'm guessing is 42 or so (i.e. the young guys and the old guys).
                This makes things more interesting than having 120 baby boomers. It also
                guarantees John DeWalt a position at the starting line. If there's any
                crime in all of this selection process, it would be John DeWalt missing an
                opportunity to continue his impressive string of finishes at Hardrock.

                Do I expect anyone to take me seriously? No. Just trying to provide some
                levity to an apparently tense situation. We supposedly run for recreation,
                not for another source of stress in our lives.

                Keith

                Keith Knipling
                Materials Science and Engineering
                213 Holden Hall
                Virginia Tech
                Blacksburg, VA 24061-0237
                Voice: (540) 231-2105
                Fax: (540) 231-8919

                <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                Message 7 of 21 , Nov 12, 2001
                  --- "Maslanka, Bozena (SC)" <bmaslank@...>
                  wrote:
                  > Matt,
                  > Since you sound like you have a lot of money to
                  > spend, can you pay my entry
                  > fee?

                  Sure, at Wickham Park :-)

                  > Please don't forget that not everyone is use to
                  > sleeping in one person tent
                  > and take baths in cold rivers.

                  I think it's good training. I don't know if anyone
                  else has noticed but it seems to me that people that
                  demand the most comfort outside the race are the first
                  ones to drop out when the going gets tough.

                  > Please be more sensitive making silly suggestions.

                  I don't think it's silly. If you have 200 entrants
                  and 100 slots, then half of them aren't going to like
                  the selection process no matter how fair you try to
                  make it. I think it's noble that Hardrock intends to
                  keep the entry fee below what the market will bear,
                  but then they just have to substitute some other
                  arbitrary hurdle to limit entries. This could be a
                  lottery (like Western States), a trail work
                  requirement (like Wasatch), or tougher qualifying
                  standards (like the world championships or Ironman).
                  "None of the above" is not an option. You must choose
                  names somehow, and there is no way to do it and still
                  keep everyone happy.

                  The point of my previous post was to ask what is so
                  special about Hardrock that it fills up when there are
                  plenty of cheap or free races? It is not like you
                  have to have a lot of money to run ultras. But if you
                  want prestige, I think you should have to pay for it.

                  =====

                  Find a job, post your resume.
                  http://careers.yahoo.com
                • jfisher
                  Message 8 of 21 , Nov 12, 2001
                    Hey Matt
                    (Can I give you a little personal advise -- free of charge
                    You best back off your arrogant attitude, and maybe even consider
                    apologizing,
                    before you put your foot into it a little further than you can chew.)
                    Your cold logic and rational below do not cover up your total lack of
                    understanding, glory grabbing, patting yourself on the back or whatever it is
                    that you are doing, and thinking the rest of the HR100 runners are to dumb to
                    see through it.

                    GET THIS plain and simple, the Hardrock is not about prestige, recognition,
                    money, being noble, or whatever else is in your mind. If as you stated so
                    clearly below in your reply to Bozena and also in your reply to Joe Clapper,
                    in your mind you equate the specialness of the Hardrock with prestige,
                    recognition, or whatever else you are projecting onto it -- then you have
                    missed the point of the run entirely. It is very sad that even though you
                    have been there many years, you could not see through your own little
                    attention grabbing world, to see the real beauty of what the Hardrock 100
                    really is. 1st as stated in so many of the HR100 documents this event is
                    about the runners testing themselves against those incredibly beautiful
                    mountains. 2nd It is about the runners period; testing themselves personally,
                    reaching past themselves -- out to other runners, camaraderie, seeing the
                    inner beauty and strengths of the other runners and helpers on the course.
                    (Not just seeing everyone else as more people upon which to inflict yourself
                    and as victims upon whom your can expound your personal glories and athletic
                    feats) This is a lesson that you would best learn from Joel Zuker. Every
                    person associated with the Hardrock felt a great loss with his departure,
                    because we were all his friends --- because he saw all of us as friends (not
                    competitors, to play one up-man-ship verbal games with). Joel never met a
                    stranger, every person he encountered he instantly saw a friend. And he
                    equally instantly reached out to be of service, to contribute to the life of
                    his newly found friend. That is what the Hardrock is about -- FRIENDS,
                    voluntarily contributing to each other, because they are our friends, because
                    we care about them. Again it is sad that you have missed one of the real
                    beauties of the Hardrock, the other people (because you were so busy looking
                    at yourself) The Hardrock is about the joy, happiness, the friendships, the
                    love that get created when people come together with respect for each other
                    and for the common purpose of running through the mountains together.

                    My suggestion to the selection committee of -- Contributing to others (this
                    event) because you care about them, is not an arbitrary hurdle. (and it is
                    not one that you could probably leap over or crawl under) If all you have to
                    contribute is -- raise the price, raise the price, make them pay, make them
                    pay -- then you best keep your mouth shut and contribute nothing at all. I
                    and many others are embarrassed that you could not even see Bozena's or Joe's
                    genuine concern (financially) for themselves and for others, and that
                    Bozena's hints were to subtle for you, that you chose instead to add further
                    insult to injury. You best go take a bath in an icy river yourself and chill
                    out your inflated (recognition and prestige seeking) ego. These things do not
                    belong at the Hardrock.

                    Joel Zuker, Joe Clapper, Bozena Maslanka, & I may never run Nolan's 14 but
                    there are a few things you can still learn from us, actually something you
                    are desperately seeking -- a way out of your lonelyness. Please consider what
                    was offered here, out of genuine compassion for you.

                    Finally Matt, I am sincerely sorry that I had to be the one who had to be so
                    blunt and crude to you -- you asked for it many times and others were to
                    polite. As said above, I am deeply saddened that you have failed to find one
                    of the real goals and beauty of the Hardrock, FRIENDS, connecting sincerely
                    and genuinely with the other people. Please come this next year with that
                    being your goal. For you it will be harder than running the course -- I
                    guarentee you Matt the reward will also be much greater. It's called
                    happiness.

                    Jim Fisher

                  • laurantodd@pcisys.net
                    Message 9 of 21 , Nov 12, 2001
                      Jim and Matt,
                      Thanks for generating conversation. I hate waiting for the snow reports to
                      start thinking about the Silverton One-Lap Fun Run. Here's my two cents:
                      I hope Hardrock never ...
                      1. Becomes like Leadville in that everyone who enters is accepted. The high-
                      altitude trails can't handle that type of abuse, and the small size of
                      Hardrock -- where you are treated like family -- is one of its most appealing
                      aspects. If given the choice, I'd rather have the race limited to 100 and know
                      that I'm not allowed in than have it be 150 and be guaranteed an entry spot. If
                      Hardrock were ever to open itself to all-comers I wouldn't enter. Hardrock
                      would no longer be Hardrock. (Note: This is not a knock on Leadville, which has
                      a lot of jeep road, is at a lower altitude, is on more-developed trails and can
                      handle more people than Hardrock. I think Leadville is crowded, and the
                      character of the race has gotten worse as it has gotten bigger, but Leadville
                      is still a great race).
                      2. Comes down to a points system. You runners and volunteers who started this
                      race and kept it going deserve the first crack at entry spots. This is your
                      race. You took the initial risks. You kept the race going. You kept it low-key
                      and challenging. You made it the coolest race there is. Rewarding the people
                      who started this race and help keep it going evey year I totally agree with.
                      But if a points system were instituted, I could see people marking the course,
                      volunteering, pacing, etc., to get the points and NOT to mark the course,
                      volunteer, pace, etc. That would be so wrong.
                      3. Becomes like the Ironman in that dollars improve your lottery position. For
                      those not familiar, the Ironman has a separate lottery for its club members who
                      pay extra for that privilege. That's on top of its ungodly cost. I love the
                      challenge of the Ironman but the cost is one of the things that makes me an
                      ultra freak and not a tri-geek.
                      Todd Burgess

                      > --- "Maslanka, Bozena (SC)" <bmaslank@...>
                      > wrote:
                      > > Matt,
                      > > Since you sound like you have a lot of money to
                      > > spend, can you pay my entry
                      > > fee?
                      >
                      > Sure, at Wickham Park :-)
                      >
                      > > Please don't forget that not everyone is use to
                      > > sleeping in one person tent
                      > > and take baths in cold rivers.
                      >
                      > I think it's good training. I don't know if anyone
                      > else has noticed but it seems to me that people that
                      > demand the most comfort outside the race are the first
                      > ones to drop out when the going gets tough.
                      >
                      > > Please be more sensitive making silly suggestions.
                      >
                      > I don't think it's silly. If you have 200 entrants
                      > and 100 slots, then half of them aren't going to like
                      > the selection process no matter how fair you try to
                      > make it. I think it's noble that Hardrock intends to
                      > keep the entry fee below what the market will bear,
                      > but then they just have to substitute some other
                      > arbitrary hurdle to limit entries. This could be a
                      > lottery (like Western States), a trail work
                      > requirement (like Wasatch), or tougher qualifying
                      > standards (like the world championships or Ironman).
                      > "None of the above" is not an option. You must choose
                      > names somehow, and there is no way to do it and still
                      > keep everyone happy.
                      >
                      > The point of my previous post was to ask what is so
                      > special about Hardrock that it fills up when there are
                      > plenty of cheap or free races? It is not like you
                      > have to have a lot of money to run ultras. But if you
                      > want prestige, I think you should have to pay for it.
                      >

                      > =====
                      > -- Matt Mahoney, matmahoney@...

                    • Dick Huff
                      Message 10 of 21 , Nov 13, 2001
                        Hello everyone!

                        I am a relative newcomer to Hardrock, the first year as a pacer, the second
                        year as a runner (DNF). I can understand why everyone is afraid of not being
                        included each year. Hardrock is a truly special event. It does not take very
                        long to get to know everyone and be involved in all aspects of the event.
                        Everyone's stories of success and failure come in to play each year. I think
                        you all look forward to being a part of each others lives during Hardrock.

                        The inevitable is happening, Ultras are becoming more popular and more
                        people want to participate. Unfortunately, there is not enough room at
                        Hardrock each year for the growing masses. I have a suggestion for entry
                        requirements: limit the number of times people are allowed to attempt
                        Hardrock to Three. This may seem like harsh reality at the initial stage. We
                        will all miss all of the five time finishers, whether Kirk Apt can continue
                        his awesome streak. But, if you all hold Hardrock in such high regard, then
                        you can come back year after year and mark the course, pace, volunteer, or
                        work at the Aid Stations. You can still be a part of all of the fun,
                        excitement, the people, the beautiful mountains without being a runner every
                        year.

                        I agree with Jim Fisher, Hardrock is magical and is about friends. Like I
                        said, I am a newcomer to Hardrock, I liked being a part of and accepted by
                        such a fascinating group of people from the first day. That is just human
                        nature. Why not let as many people be a part Hardrock. I must admit, after
                        the first year, I decided that I wanted to go back to Hardrock and run every
                        year. I now know that would be a very selfish thing to do. I was grateful
                        for the opportunity to run. I think everyone should be willing to let as
                        many people experience Hardrock as possible, let some other runners achieve
                        there goals. The names and faces will change over the years, the magic of
                        Hardrock will always be there.

                        It is a tribute to Dale Garland that everyone has such strong emotions about
                        Hardrock. I have not heard Dale comment about the large number of applicants
                        expected this year. Has this problem been created by the runners? Are we
                        all getting excited for no reason? Dale-Are you concerned about this at all?

                        Thanks everyone.

                        Dick Huff

> [...]
                        > > and 100 slots, then half of them aren't going to like
                        > > the selection process no matter how fair you try to
                        > > make it. I think it's noble that Hardrock intends to
                        > > keep the entry fee below what the market will bear,
                        > > but then they just have to substitute some other
                        > > arbitrary hurdle to limit entries. This could be a
                        > > lottery (like Western States), a trail work
                        > > requirement (like Wasatch), or tougher qualifying
                        > > standards (like the world championships or Ironman).
                        > > "None of the above" is not an option. You must choose
                        > > names somehow, and there is no way to do it and still
                        > > keep everyone happy.
                        > >
                        > > The point of my previous post was to ask what is so
                        > > special about Hardrock that it fills up when there are
                        > > plenty of cheap or free races? It is not like you
                        > > have to have a lot of money to run ultras. But if you
                        > > want prestige, I think you should have to pay for it.

                      • Herr, Dennis B.
                        Message 11 of 21 , Nov 13, 2001
                          Matt wrote:

                          You must choose
                          names somehow, and there is no way to do it and still
                          keep everyone happy.

                          How about the old dart board?

                          Dennis

                          -
                        • Maslanka, Bozena (SC)
                          Message 12 of 21 , Nov 13, 2001
                            Matt,
                            I will try not insult you because I thought that you were very intelligent
                            person.
                            What is wrong with you, have you lost it completely?
                            Please read all the responses you made and seek medical help. It may not be
                            too late.
                            All the glory and t-shirts you mention earlier, well what is up with the one
                            pair of shorts and one pair of t-shirt you have been wearing for the past
                            four years.
                            Stop making ass of yourself.
                            Bozena

                            > Since you sound like you have a lot of money to
                            > spend, can you pay my entry
                            > fee?

                            Sure, at Wickham Park :-)

                            Message 13 of 21 , Nov 13, 2001
                              Come on people; get a sense of humor!

                              Get a life outside of running.

                              What happened to the spirit of charity
                              and unity that has been ballyhooed since
                              9-11?

                              Dennis Herr

                              > Since you sound like you have a lot of money to
                              > spend, can you pay my entry
                              > fee?

                              Sure, at Wickham Park :-)

                              Message 14 of 21 , Nov 13, 2001
                                Sorry if I sounded self-centered in my last post. I
                                guess I am. I didn't mean to insult everyone that
                                stays in a hotel in Silverton. I camp because I'm
                                cheap.

                                I don't want to pay a higher entry fee at Hardrock.
                                What I am trying to say is there isn't any painless
                                way to limit entries. We could have everyone with
                                last names starting with A through L run next year and
                                M through Z in 2003. I know that's arbitrary, but so
                                is every other method that anyone has come up with.
                                Somebody isn't going to like it.

                                I enjoy Hardrock because it's a chance to see my
                                friends, although I seem to have fewer of them now.

                                =====

                                http://personals.yahoo.com
                              • Stevan Pattillo
                                Message 15 of 21 , Nov 13, 2001
                                  Jimmy, Oh come on, try not to be so hard on Matt. He is initiating a
                                  discussion not asking for an on-line personnality inventory and analysis.
                                  Any discussion the entry proceedure is bound to be contentious, it needs to
                                  be thought provoking if we are to come up with any new approaches. Most of
                                  us are too far gone to be helped by any drive-up psychoanalysis. That is
                                  what makes us such a "colorful" bunch, and possibly why we enjoy each
                                  other's company at Hardrock.
                                  As an aside; I'm glad I'm not the person who has to decide just how many
                                  entries and the selection criteria that allows most of us to qualify for
                                  what is beginning to look more and more like a day out program for a
                                  comunity based mental health program.
                                • dale garland
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Nov 13, 2001
                                    Hi Everyone
                                    Dick Huff has asked what my thoughts on what has been said the past
                                    couple of days so here goes! I know I am speaking for all of us involved
                                    in the HRH when I say we are honored that this run means so much to
                                    people. The people involved with putting this run on are truly a special
                                    group of people; but those of who who subscribe to this list already
                                    know that. I find it a bit unsettling that the dialogue that transpired
                                    did take a personal note and kudos to both Jim and Matt for realizing
                                    that this list isn't the best place for such a dialogue.
                                    The selection of runners for the HRH has become much more complicated
                                    than any of us (the organizers/run committe/Board of Directors) ever
                                    imagined it would be. Once again, I am speaking for the run as a whole
                                    when I say that we are all dedicated to keeping the Hardrock Hundred an
                                    event for those who want to challenge themselves against our course and
                                    themselves.
                                    This years selection process favors those who have been part of our
                                    "family". There is a bias in this years selection process toward those
                                    who have attempted/completed our run. We have allocated slots for people
                                    who want to experience the HRH for the first time but the number is less
                                    than the number allocated for previous participants. Does this mean that
                                    all of you who want to run in 2002 will be here in July? None of us can
                                    answer that question until the first of February when we sit down and
                                    look at the applications. If this selection process doesn't work then
                                    we'll definitely revamp it for 2003 and you can count on us getting your
                                    opinion.
                                    Personally speaking, all of you are the biggest part of why I stay
                                    involved in this run. I hope to see all of you who want to be here in
                                    July.
                                    Dale Garland
                                    RD, HRH

                                    Message 17 of 21 , Nov 14, 2001
                                      Obviously, the Hardrock Committee is a victim
                                      of its own success, so maybe it's time to raise
                                      the ante. How about no crews, no aid stations
                                      and no course markings (except on your maps)?
                                      In other words, no more pampering. That should
                                      cut out some of the deadwood. Call it a natural
                                      selection process. It should make the committee's
                                      job a lot easier. Remember, this is billed as a
                                      post-grad event. I'm sure Matt would be the first
                                      to endorse this format.

                                      dennis
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Nov 14, 2001
                                        --- "Herr, Dennis B." <dennis_herr@...> wrote:
                                        > Obviously, the Hardrock Committee is a victim
                                        > of its own success, so maybe it's time to raise
                                        > the ante. How about no crews, no aid stations
                                        > and no course markings (except on your maps)?
                                        > In other words, no more pampering. That should
                                        > cut out some of the deadwood. Call it a natural
                                        > selection process. It should make the committee's
                                        > job a lot easier. Remember, this is billed as a
                                        > post-grad event. I'm sure Matt would be the first
                                        > to endorse this format.

                                        Great idea. In fact we can be flexible about the
                                        starting time and date. Just go run the course on
                                        your own and tell us how long it took. We can even
                                        drop the entry fee and qualifications. And for those
                                        who are bored with the current course or don't think
                                        it's tough enough, I can suggest a few changes around
                                        Sneffels, Sunshine, and Redcloud.

                                        =====

                                        http://personals.yahoo.com
                                      • Stevan Pattillo
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Nov 14, 2001
                                          But, But, But? No T-shirt? Now that is going too far!
                                          Steve