Re: [hr100] Hardrock Hundred Clarification

  • jfisher
    Message 1 of 21 , Nov 10, 2001
      Greetings All

      I have been informed via rumor that there will in all probablity be far more
      applicants for the HR100 than spaces available. Nothing new here. I guess I
      blithly haven't paid any attention though. Because I was also surprised when
      I heard that past participation (requardless of completions or proven
      performance capabilities) no longer has much meaning or weight in the
      selection process. The reason given to me was that there are enough past
      participants (with proven completion capabilities) that they alone could fill
      the run and thus of course totally exculde any new entrants. I realize that
      the run's success and growing popularity present some delimmas for the
      "selection" committee.

      I have some suggestions to make, ie my opinions about at least one way to
      thin the applicant load. All Right -- I will admit right here that my
      suggestions are self serving and additionally hopefully benefitting not only
      myself but also my training partner.

      Rational: Whereas, the Hardrock organizing committee has placed high
      importance and gratitude on those who do volunteer service for the run. They
      like to publicly demonstrate this gratitude and to encourage others to do
      volunteer service which benefits the run by the yearly example of giving the
      Mother Lode Award.
      Thus my suggestion; Give some rating or credit in the selection process to
      those applicants who have given service to and benefitted the run. Maybe not
      at the obvious level of the Mother Lode Award, but those who have contributed
      in their own way at lessor levels such as; Doing/helping in some of the
      yearly ongoing trail maintaince (example shoveling out the Neut shoot),
      assisting in the course marking, post run trail sweeping to pick up the
      course markers (always in need of volunteers), helping coordinate housing
      efforts in Silverton, assisting in the so very critical ongoing efforts with
      public officials, publicity, maintaining the web site, participating in other
      activities throughout the year besides just at run time, etc. Every year I
      see some runners who are very high caliber and capable of placing very well,
      but who also show up every year, keep to themselves, continue to train, and
      do nothing to contribute. I ascribe here the attitude of "I'm here for
      myself, to prove myself, to win, or whatever, and my entry fee sufficiently
      covers all that I need to give to this event." Of course my assumption about
      someone else's attitude may be wrong, and I admit many people have limited
      vacation time or funds to stay in the area. I guess what I would like to see
      though, is that the HR100 selection comittee reward those people who have
      shown up many times and said by their personal presence and activities "This
      run is about more than just my personal journey, it is bigger than me, it is
      about others too." "I like this run/event, the local community." "This run's
      people are my friends, I want to contribute to them." You get the picture

      Food For Thought -- Dale

      I await the hail storm of opinionated relpys. I'm sure everyone else has
      their own pet pig to put into the show.

      Jim Fisher

      Message 2 of 21 , Nov 11, 2001
        I think the best way to limit entries to Hardrock is
        to raise the entry fee and let the market take care of
        it. A few years ago I took a survey to see how much
        people would pay to run Western States if they could
        be guaranteed entry. The answer was that about half
        would be willing to pay $300, which was about twice
        the entry fee at the time, when the acceptance rate
        was 50%. Considering inflation and all the publicity
        we got on TV, you probably need to charge about
        $400-$500.

        Of course, volunteers should get guaranteed, free
        entry as a reward. Don't forget that in 1997 I spent
        14 hours with Don Winkley and Hal Winton pulling
        markers from Maggie Gulch to Handies Peak on the
        Monday after the race. I also went on several course
        marking hikes, but these don't count since it's just
        Charlie Thorn marking the course and 20 people tagging
        along.

        I also think race directors should get free entry.
        I'll give all Hardrock staff and volunteers free entry
        to the Wickham Park 200.

        You could also take the Leadville approach and accept
        500 runners with no qualifications. This really isn't
        so bad, since most runners will be dropping out at
        Arrastra Gulch when they realize they have to get
        their feet wet...

        =====

        Find a job, post your resume.
        http://careers.yahoo.com
      • clapper@american.edu
        Message 3 of 21 , Nov 12, 2001
          I usually let the chatter go by, but I have to speak up on this one.
          Limiting entries by raising the fee sends our sport in the same direction
          as skiing and golf: towards the upper middle class, white suburban, middle
          age elite. I believe we should be going the other way and reaching out to
          younger people of lesser means. When I first started in this sport I had
          to limit my competition because I could not afford races; even if I sleep
          in my car and brought my own food. I think for a lot of young folks a
          $100+ entry fee is already prohibitive. I propose that more race directors
          do what Bull Run Run does and offer free entry based on financial need.

          Joe Clapper

          Matt Mahoney <matmahoney@...> on 11/11/2001 02:21:29 PM

          Please respond to hr100@yahoogroups.com

          To: hr100@yahoogroups.com
          cc:
          Subject: Re: [hr100] Hardrock Hundred Clarification

          Message 4 of 21 , Nov 12, 2001
            --- clapper@... wrote:

            > I usually let the chatter go by, but I have to speak
            > up on this one.
            > Limiting entries by raising the fee sends our sport
            > in the same direction
            > as skiing and golf: towards the upper middle class,
            > white suburban, middle
            > age elite.

            I thought we already did that. In any case, there's
            plenty of cheap or free ultras, like the MTN RNR
            series, Barkley, Nolan's 14, and lots of fat ass races
            including some 100 milers. They can be short or long,
            easy or as tough as you like, just like the "real"
            ultras that charge big entry fees and have lotteries
            or trail work requirements. The only difference I can
            see is that in a "real" ultra you get a T-shirt that
            people will recognize. "Oh yeah, I saw that race on
            TV. It looked really tough" instead of "Wickham Park,
            what's that?" Sorry, recognition is in big demand and
            there is a short supply of it, so simple economics
            says you gotta pay for it. Or is there some other
            reason to run the big ultras?

            =====

            Find a job, post your resume.
            http://careers.yahoo.com
          • Maslanka, Bozena (SC)
            Message 5 of 21 , Nov 12, 2001
              Matt,
              Since you sound like you have a lot of money to spend, can you pay my entry
              fee?
              Please don't forget that not everyone is use to sleeping in one person tent
              and take baths in cold rivers. How about the money the rest of us spend it
              town where the race is. How about hotels, food. Don't forget that not
              everyone is a teacher and has two months vacation every summer. Some of us
              have to take unpaid time off from work. And most important, most of us have
              kids.
              Please be more sensitive making silly suggestions.
              Thanks
              Bozena

              > I usually let the chatter go by, but I have to speak
              > up on this one.
              > Limiting entries by raising the fee sends our sport
              > in the same direction
              > as skiing and golf: towards the upper middle class,
              > white suburban, middle
              > age elite.

              I thought we already did that. In any case, there's
              plenty of cheap or free ultras, like the MTN RNR
              series, Barkley, Nolan's 14, and lots of fat ass races
              including some 100 milers. They can be short or long,
              easy or as tough as you like, just like the "real"
              ultras that charge big entry fees and have lotteries
              or trail work requirements. The only difference I can
              see is that in a "real" ultra you get a T-shirt that
              people will recognize. "Oh yeah, I saw that race on
              TV. It looked really tough" instead of "Wickham Park,
              what's that?" Sorry, recognition is in big demand and
              there is a short supply of it, so simple economics
              says you gotta pay for it. Or is there some other
              reason to run the big ultras?

              =====

            • Rebecca Clark and Blake Wood
              Message 6 of 21 , Nov 12, 2001
                jfisher wrote:

                > Thus my suggestion; Give some rating or credit in the selection process to
                > those applicants who have given service to and benefitted the run. ...

                I don't have the entry acceptance algorithm right at hand, but there are a
                limited number of slots (5, I think) put aside for people who have provided
                extraordinary service to Hardrock. This doesn't quite address Jim's suggestion,
                which seems aimed more at the worker bees than at those who fill some specific
                role (the canonical example being Lisa Richardson in 2001). However, a large
                number of slots - about half in fact - are doled out at the selection committee's
                discretion. You should rest assured that the kind of service Jim refers to will
                play a large role in how these slots are awarded. I agree with Jim that one of
                the things that makes Hardrock what it is are the people who come back year after
                year to help mark the course, work an aid station, pace another runner, etc. I
                agree also that these people should be encouraged and rewarded for their
                dedication. The Hardrock Board is not at all interested in making Hardrock an
                elite race, but would rather preserve the ambiance that has made it such a great
                experience in the past.

                Concerning Matt and Joe's comments about entry fees: although we could easily
                charge much more and still fill our entry quota, the Board voted not to increase
                fees. In general, we feel that as long as we're covering expenses and have
                enough in the bank to survive another cancelled run, like '95, there is no need
                to increase fees, even to provide additional amenities that are provided in other
                runs, but which few of us feel are needed at Hardrock.

                - Blake

                Blake Wood and Rebecca Clark
                1146 Big Rock Loop
                Los Alamos, NM 87544
                bwood@...
                505-662-4763
              • Keith Knipling
                Message 7 of 21 , Nov 12, 2001
                  One thing you should know about Matt Mahoney is that EVERYTHING he writes
                  should be taken with a grain of salt. While his posts are usually
                  informative, accurate, and beneficial, everything he says is usually said
                  very much tongue-in-cheek. Whatever he says, though eccentric as it may
                  seem, is usually genuine and never intended to insult anyone.

                  Now to comment on what Joe said:

                  I believe we should be going the other way and reaching out to
                  younger people of lesser means.

                  Right on! I hope 26 on a student budget qualifies. I think the committee
                  should accept all applicants outside of 2 standard deviations of the mean
                  age, which I'm guessing is 42 or so (i.e. the young guys and the old guys).
                  This makes things more interesting than having 120 baby boomers. It also
                  guarantees John DeWalt a position at the starting line. If there's any
                  crime in all of this selection process, it would be John DeWalt missing an
                  opportunity to continue his impressive string of finishes at Hardrock.

                  Do I expect anyone to take me seriously? No. Just trying to provide some
                  levity to an apparently tense situation. We supposedly run for recreation,
                  not for another source of stress in our lives.

                  Keith

                  Keith Knipling
                  Materials Science and Engineering
                  213 Holden Hall
                  Virginia Tech
                  Blacksburg, VA 24061-0237
                  Voice: (540) 231-2105
                  Fax: (540) 231-8919

                  <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                  Message 8 of 21 , Nov 12, 2001
                    --- "Maslanka, Bozena (SC)" <bmaslank@...>
                    wrote:
                    > Matt,
                    > Since you sound like you have a lot of money to
                    > spend, can you pay my entry
                    > fee?

                    Sure, at Wickham Park :-)

                    > Please don't forget that not everyone is use to
                    > sleeping in one person tent
                    > and take baths in cold rivers.

                    I think it's good training. I don't know if anyone
                    else has noticed but it seems to me that people that
                    demand the most comfort outside the race are the first
                    ones to drop out when the going gets tough.

                    > Please be more sensitive making silly suggestions.

                    I don't think it's silly. If you have 200 entrants
                    and 100 slots, then half of them aren't going to like
                    the selection process no matter how fair you try to
                    make it. I think it's noble that Hardrock intends to
                    keep the entry fee below what the market will bear,
                    but then they just have to substitute some other
                    arbitrary hurdle to limit entries. This could be a
                    lottery (like Western States), a trail work
                    requirement (like Wasatch), or tougher qualifying
                    standards (like the world championships or Ironman).
                    "None of the above" is not an option. You must choose
                    names somehow, and there is no way to do it and still
                    keep everyone happy.

                    The point of my previous post was to ask what is so
                    special about Hardrock that it fills up when there are
                    plenty of cheap or free races? It is not like you
                    have to have a lot of money to run ultras. But if you
                    want prestige, I think you should have to pay for it.

                    =====

                    Find a job, post your resume.
                    http://careers.yahoo.com
                  • jfisher
                    Message 9 of 21 , Nov 12, 2001
                      Hey Matt
                      (Can I give you a little personal advise -- free of charge
                      You best back off your arrogant attitude, and maybe even consider
                      apologizing,
                      before you put your foot into it a little further than you can chew.)
                      Your cold logic and rational below do not cover up your total lack of
                      understanding, glory grabbing, patting yourself on the back or whatever it is
                      that you are doing, and thinking the rest of the HR100 runners are to dumb to
                      see through it.

                      GET THIS plain and simple, the Hardrock is not about prestige, recognition,
                      money, being noble, or whatever else is in your mind. If as you stated so
                      clearly below in your reply to Bozena and also in your reply to Joe Clapper,
                      in your mind you equate the specialness of the Hardrock with prestige,
                      recognition, or whatever else you are projecting onto it -- then you have
                      missed the point of the run entirely. It is very sad that even though you
                      have been there many years, you could not see through your own little
                      attention grabbing world, to see the real beauty of what the Hardrock 100
                      really is. 1st as stated in so many of the HR100 documents this event is
                      about the runners testing themselves against those incredibly beautiful
                      mountains. 2nd It is about the runners period; testing themselves personally,
                      reaching past themselves -- out to other runners, camaraderie, seeing the
                      inner beauty and strengths of the other runners and helpers on the course.
                      (Not just seeing everyone else as more people upon which to inflict yourself
                      and as victims upon whom your can expound your personal glories and athletic
                      feats) This is a lesson that you would best learn from Joel Zuker. Every
                      person associated with the Hardrock felt a great loss with his departure,
                      because we were all his friends --- because he saw all of us as friends (not
                      competitors, to play one up-man-ship verbal games with). Joel never met a
                      stranger, every person he encountered he instantly saw a friend. And he
                      equally instantly reached out to be of service, to contribute to the life of
                      his newly found friend. That is what the Hardrock is about -- FRIENDS,
                      voluntarily contributing to each other, because they are our friends, because
                      we care about them. Again it is sad that you have missed one of the real
                      beauties of the Hardrock, the other people (because you were so busy looking
                      at yourself) The Hardrock is about the joy, happiness, the friendships, the
                      love that get created when people come together with respect for each other
                      and for the common purpose of running through the mountains together.

                      My suggestion to the selection committee of -- Contributing to others (this
                      event) because you care about them, is not an arbitrary hurdle. (and it is
                      not one that you could probably leap over or crawl under) If all you have to
                      contribute is -- raise the price, raise the price, make them pay, make them
                      pay -- then you best keep your mouth shut and contribute nothing at all. I
                      and many others are embarrassed that you could not even see Bozena's or Joe's
                      genuine concern (financially) for themselves and for others, and that
                      Bozena's hints were to subtle for you, that you chose instead to add further
                      insult to injury. You best go take a bath in an icy river yourself and chill
                      out your inflated (recognition and prestige seeking) ego. These things do not
                      belong at the Hardrock.

                      Joel Zuker, Joe Clapper, Bozena Maslanka, & I may never run Nolan's 14 but
                      there are a few things you can still learn from us, actually something you
                      are desperately seeking -- a way out of your lonelyness. Please consider what
                      was offered here, out of genuine compassion for you.

                      Finally Matt, I am sincerely sorry that I had to be the one who had to be so
                      blunt and crude to you -- you asked for it many times and others were to
                      polite. As said above, I am deeply saddened that you have failed to find one
                      of the real goals and beauty of the Hardrock, FRIENDS, connecting sincerely
                      and genuinely with the other people. Please come this next year with that
                      being your goal. For you it will be harder than running the course -- I
                      guarentee you Matt the reward will also be much greater. It's called
                      happiness.

                      Jim Fisher

                    • laurantodd@pcisys.net
                      Message 10 of 21 , Nov 12, 2001
                        Jim and Matt,
                        Thanks for generating conversation. I hate waiting for the snow reports to
                        start thinking about the Silverton One-Lap Fun Run. Here's my two cents:
                        I hope Hardrock never ...
                        1. Becomes like Leadville in that everyone who enters is accepted. The high-
                        altitude trails can't handle that type of abuse, and the small size of
                        Hardrock -- where you are treated like family -- is one of its most appealing
                        aspects. If given the choice, I'd rather have the race limited to 100 and know
                        that I'm not allowed in than have it be 150 and be guaranteed an entry spot. If
                        Hardrock were ever to open itself to all-comers I wouldn't enter. Hardrock
                        would no longer be Hardrock. (Note: This is not a knock on Leadville, which has
                        a lot of jeep road, is at a lower altitude, is on more-developed trails and can
                        handle more people than Hardrock. I think Leadville is crowded, and the
                        character of the race has gotten worse as it has gotten bigger, but Leadville
                        is still a great race).
                        2. Comes down to a points system. You runners and volunteers who started this
                        race and kept it going deserve the first crack at entry spots. This is your
                        race. You took the initial risks. You kept the race going. You kept it low-key
                        and challenging. You made it the coolest race there is. Rewarding the people
                        who started this race and help keep it going evey year I totally agree with.
                        But if a points system were instituted, I could see people marking the course,
                        volunteering, pacing, etc., to get the points and NOT to mark the course,
                        volunteer, pace, etc. That would be so wrong.
                        3. Becomes like the Ironman in that dollars improve your lottery position. For
                        those not familiar, the Ironman has a separate lottery for its club members who
                        pay extra for that privilege. That's on top of its ungodly cost. I love the
                        challenge of the Ironman but the cost is one of the things that makes me an
                        ultra freak and not a tri-geek.
                        Todd Burgess

                        > --- "Maslanka, Bozena (SC)" <bmaslank@...>
                        > wrote:
                        > > Matt,
                        > > Since you sound like you have a lot of money to
                        > > spend, can you pay my entry
                        > > fee?
                        >
                        > Sure, at Wickham Park :-)
                        >
                        > > Please don't forget that not everyone is use to
                        > > sleeping in one person tent
                        > > and take baths in cold rivers.
                        >
                        > I think it's good training. I don't know if anyone
                        > else has noticed but it seems to me that people that
                        > demand the most comfort outside the race are the first
                        > ones to drop out when the going gets tough.
                        >
                        > > Please be more sensitive making silly suggestions.
                        >
                        > I don't think it's silly. If you have 200 entrants
                        > and 100 slots, then half of them aren't going to like
                        > the selection process no matter how fair you try to
                        > make it. I think it's noble that Hardrock intends to
                        > keep the entry fee below what the market will bear,
                        > but then they just have to substitute some other
                        > arbitrary hurdle to limit entries. This could be a
                        > lottery (like Western States), a trail work
                        > requirement (like Wasatch), or tougher qualifying
                        > standards (like the world championships or Ironman).
                        > "None of the above" is not an option. You must choose
                        > names somehow, and there is no way to do it and still
                        > keep everyone happy.
                        >
                        > The point of my previous post was to ask what is so
                        > special about Hardrock that it fills up when there are
                        > plenty of cheap or free races? It is not like you
                        > have to have a lot of money to run ultras. But if you
                        > want prestige, I think you should have to pay for it.
                        >

                        > =====
                        > -- Matt Mahoney, matmahoney@...

                      • Dick Huff
                        Message 11 of 21 , Nov 13, 2001
                          Hello everyone!

                          I am a relative newcomer to Hardrock, the first year as a pacer, the second
                          year as a runner (DNF). I can understand why everyone is afraid of not being
                          included each year. Hardrock is a truly special event. It does not take very
                          long to get to know everyone and be involved in all aspects of the event.
                          Everyone's stories of success and failure come in to play each year. I think
                          you all look forward to being a part of each others lives during Hardrock.

                          The inevitable is happening, Ultras are becoming more popular and more
                          people want to participate. Unfortunately, there is not enough room at
                          Hardrock each year for the growing masses. I have a suggestion for entry
                          requirements: limit the number of times people are allowed to attempt
                          Hardrock to Three. This may seem like harsh reality at the initial stage. We
                          will all miss all of the five time finishers, whether Kirk Apt can continue
                          his awesome streak. But, if you all hold Hardrock in such high regard, then
                          you can come back year after year and mark the course, pace, volunteer, or
                          work at the Aid Stations. You can still be a part of all of the fun,
                          excitement, the people, the beautiful mountains without being a runner every
                          year.

                          I agree with Jim Fisher, Hardrock is magical and is about friends. Like I
                          said, I am a newcomer to Hardrock, I liked being a part of and accepted by
                          such a fascinating group of people from the first day. That is just human
                          nature. Why not let as many people be a part Hardrock. I must admit, after
                          the first year, I decided that I wanted to go back to Hardrock and run every
                          year. I now know that would be a very selfish thing to do. I was grateful
                          for the opportunity to run. I think everyone should be willing to let as
                          many people experience Hardrock as possible, let some other runners achieve
                          there goals. The names and faces will change over the years, the magic of
                          Hardrock will always be there.

                          It is a tribute to Dale Garland that everyone has such strong emotions about
                          Hardrock. I have not heard Dale comment about the large number of applicants
                          expected this year. Has this problem been created by the runners? Are we
                          all getting excited for no reason? Dale-Are you concerned about this at all?

                          Thanks everyone.

                          Dick Huff

> [...]
                          > > and 100 slots, then half of them aren't going to like
                          > > the selection process no matter how fair you try to
                          > > make it. I think it's noble that Hardrock intends to
                          > > keep the entry fee below what the market will bear,
                          > > but then they just have to substitute some other
                          > > arbitrary hurdle to limit entries. This could be a
                          > > lottery (like Western States), a trail work
                          > > requirement (like Wasatch), or tougher qualifying
                          > > standards (like the world championships or Ironman).
                          > > "None of the above" is not an option. You must choose
                          > > names somehow, and there is no way to do it and still
                          > > keep everyone happy.
                          > >
                          > > The point of my previous post was to ask what is so
                          > > special about Hardrock that it fills up when there are
                          > > plenty of cheap or free races? It is not like you
                          > > have to have a lot of money to run ultras. But if you
                          > > want prestige, I think you should have to pay for it.

                        • Herr, Dennis B.
                          Message 12 of 21 , Nov 13, 2001
                            Matt wrote:

                            You must choose
                            names somehow, and there is no way to do it and still
                            keep everyone happy.

                            How about the old dart board?

                            Dennis

                            -
                          • Maslanka, Bozena (SC)
                            Message 13 of 21 , Nov 13, 2001
                              Matt,
                              I will try not insult you because I thought that you were very intelligent
                              person.
                              What is wrong with you, have you lost it completely?
                              Please read all the responses you made and seek medical help. It may not be
                              too late.
                              All the glory and t-shirts you mention earlier, well what is up with the one
                              pair of shorts and one pair of t-shirt you have been wearing for the past
                              four years.
                              Stop making ass of yourself.
                              Bozena

                              > Since you sound like you have a lot of money to
                              > spend, can you pay my entry
                              > fee?

                              Sure, at Wickham Park :-)

                              Message 14 of 21 , Nov 13, 2001
                                Come on people; get a sense of humor!

                                Get a life outside of running.

                                What happened to the spirit of charity
                                and unity that has been ballyhooed since
                                9-11?

                                Dennis Herr

                                > Since you sound like you have a lot of money to
                                > spend, can you pay my entry
                                > fee?

                                Sure, at Wickham Park :-)

                                Message 15 of 21 , Nov 13, 2001
                                  Sorry if I sounded self-centered in my last post. I
                                  guess I am. I didn't mean to insult everyone that
                                  stays in a hotel in Silverton. I camp because I'm
                                  cheap.

                                  I don't want to pay a higher entry fee at Hardrock.
                                  What I am trying to say is there isn't any painless
                                  way to limit entries. We could have everyone with
                                  last names starting with A through L run next year and
                                  M through Z in 2003. I know that's arbitrary, but so
                                  is every other method that anyone has come up with.
                                  Somebody isn't going to like it.

                                  I enjoy Hardrock because it's a chance to see my
                                  friends, although I seem to have fewer of them now.

                                  =====

                                  http://personals.yahoo.com
                                • Stevan Pattillo
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Nov 13, 2001
                                    Jimmy, Oh come on, try not to be so hard on Matt. He is initiating a
                                    discussion not asking for an on-line personnality inventory and analysis.
                                    Any discussion the entry proceedure is bound to be contentious, it needs to
                                    be thought provoking if we are to come up with any new approaches. Most of
                                    us are too far gone to be helped by any drive-up psychoanalysis. That is
                                    what makes us such a "colorful" bunch, and possibly why we enjoy each
                                    other's company at Hardrock.
                                    As an aside; I'm glad I'm not the person who has to decide just how many
                                    entries and the selection criteria that allows most of us to qualify for
                                    what is beginning to look more and more like a day out program for a
                                    comunity based mental health program.
                                  • dale garland
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Nov 13, 2001
                                      Hi Everyone
                                      Dick Huff has asked what my thoughts on what has been said the past
                                      couple of days so here goes! I know I am speaking for all of us involved
                                      in the HRH when I say we are honored that this run means so much to
                                      people. The people involved with putting this run on are truly a special
                                      group of people; but those of who who subscribe to this list already
                                      know that. I find it a bit unsettling that the dialogue that transpired
                                      did take a personal note and kudos to both Jim and Matt for realizing
                                      that this list isn't the best place for such a dialogue.
                                      The selection of runners for the HRH has become much more complicated
                                      than any of us (the organizers/run committe/Board of Directors) ever
                                      imagined it would be. Once again, I am speaking for the run as a whole
                                      when I say that we are all dedicated to keeping the Hardrock Hundred an
                                      event for those who want to challenge themselves against our course and
                                      themselves.
                                      This years selection process favors those who have been part of our
                                      "family". There is a bias in this years selection process toward those
                                      who have attempted/completed our run. We have allocated slots for people
                                      who want to experience the HRH for the first time but the number is less
                                      than the number allocated for previous participants. Does this mean that
                                      all of you who want to run in 2002 will be here in July? None of us can
                                      answer that question until the first of February when we sit down and
                                      look at the applications. If this selection process doesn't work then
                                      we'll definitely revamp it for 2003 and you can count on us getting your
                                      opinion.
                                      Personally speaking, all of you are the biggest part of why I stay
                                      involved in this run. I hope to see all of you who want to be here in
                                      July.
                                      Dale Garland
                                      RD, HRH

                                      Message 18 of 21 , Nov 14, 2001
                                        Obviously, the Hardrock Committee is a victim
                                        of its own success, so maybe it's time to raise
                                        the ante. How about no crews, no aid stations
                                        and no course markings (except on your maps)?
                                        In other words, no more pampering. That should
                                        cut out some of the deadwood. Call it a natural
                                        selection process. It should make the committee's
                                        job a lot easier. Remember, this is billed as a
                                        post-grad event. I'm sure Matt would be the first
                                        to endorse this format.

                                        dennis
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Nov 14, 2001
                                          --- "Herr, Dennis B." <dennis_herr@...> wrote:
                                          > Obviously, the Hardrock Committee is a victim
                                          > of its own success, so maybe it's time to raise
                                          > the ante. How about no crews, no aid stations
                                          > and no course markings (except on your maps)?
                                          > In other words, no more pampering. That should
                                          > cut out some of the deadwood. Call it a natural
                                          > selection process. It should make the committee's
                                          > job a lot easier. Remember, this is billed as a
                                          > post-grad event. I'm sure Matt would be the first
                                          > to endorse this format.

                                          Great idea. In fact we can be flexible about the
                                          starting time and date. Just go run the course on
                                          your own and tell us how long it took. We can even
                                          drop the entry fee and qualifications. And for those
                                          who are bored with the current course or don't think
                                          it's tough enough, I can suggest a few changes around
                                          Sneffels, Sunshine, and Redcloud.

                                          =====

                                          http://personals.yahoo.com
                                        • Stevan Pattillo
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Nov 14, 2001
                                            But, But, But? No T-shirt? Now that is going too far!
                                            Steve