[hr100] Re: Drinking water along the course

  • Carl & Sally Yates
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 24, 2000
      I've had it 4 times but never from the HR course. I don't know how you
      become immune to it. I'm not! Idon't drink out of streams without using a
      water purifier like Coughlans. This area (Western States) is bad. The 1st
      time you have it the diarrhia is bad but other times you only need your nose
      to recognize it. Make your water last by adding clean snow to it when
      necessary.
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 24, 2000
        I never treated the giardia when I got it after
        drinking stream water at Laural Highlands in 1996. I
        had a little diahrrea and gas for a couple of weeks
        but it didn't interrupt my training for Leadville. It
        was not as bad as catching a cold. Since then I drank
        untreated water at Leadville, Barkley, Western States,
        Superior, and Hardrock with no problems.

        =====
        http://im.yahoo.com
      • Mitchell A. Rossman
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 25, 2000
          Matt:

          I plan on taking one of my "SafeWater Anywhere" bottles with a mesh screen and
          built in filter. They were recommended to me late November after I posted a
          query to the Ultralist. I bought one and tried it. As people said, they work
          like a champ, easy to fill, with a high flow rate. No chance of getting sick.
          No financial interest.

          Mitch Rossman
          Minneapolis

          Matt Mahoney <matmahoney@...> on 02/24/2000 04:43:56 PM

          Please respond to hr100@egroups.com

          To: hr100@egroups.com
          cc: (bcc: Mitchell A. Rossman/MIPP/Imation)

          There is enough water on the Hardrock course that I
          usually don't bother to fill both bottles in order to
          save weight. You can treat the water if you want, but
          since I already had giardia a few years ago I figure
          I'm immune to it now and don't bother.

          =====

          @Backup-The Easiest Way to Protect and Access your files.
          Automatic backups and off-site storage of your critical data. Install
          your FREE trial today and have a chance to WIN a digital camera!
          Click here.
          http://click.egroups.com/1/1830/1/_/382674/_/951432368/

          -- http://www.egroups.com/cal?listname=hr100&m=1
        • Keri French
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 26, 2000
            Blake P. Wood wrote:

            > Duncan - There is plenty of water on the course, except over
            > some of the high passes. I'd guess that the longest you could
            > be away from a stream of water is 2 hours. Either a filter
            > bottle or iodine will work fine. I've always used the
            > latter. Matt Mahoney will probably tell you that he doesn't
            > bother to treat the water at all, but I'm not as brave as him.
            >
            > - Blake
            >
            > Blake P. Wood
            > Physics Div., Plasma Physics Group P-24, MS-E526,
            > Los Alamos Nat'l Lab, Los Alamos NM 87545
            > (505) 665-6524 Fax: (505) 665-3552 bwood@...
            > http://microserf.lanl.gov/bpw/bpwplan.html
            >
            > At 02:16 PM 2/24/00 -0700, Duncan Orr wrote:
            > What's the scoop on drinking water along the course? Is it
            > important to carry all water as in most other 100's or are there
            > enough safe creeks that we do not have to carry as much? Are
            > there creeks most everywhere? Do runners carry filters? Any
            > insight would be appreciated.

            > Apply NOW!

            > -- http://www.egroups.com/vote?listname=hr100&m=1

            here is yet another response about the drinking water topic. I was
            hesitant to drink from the streams at first but upon hearing from a number
            of people who suffered no ill effect from it , I give it a go. It was nice
            to only have to carry two bottles. Iwas selective where I filled up
            choosing to use smaller side streams in the canyons coming off of slopes
            where even ultrarunners haven't been. This made it easy to stay very
            hydrated through the entire course. Besides if you should get giardia you
            can take a pill for it and get over it. If you DNF due to dehydration
            complications thats gonna be a lot harder to get over as a lot of us can
            attest to.
          • Michael A. Farris
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 29, 2000
              Jan wrote:

              > Besides if you should get giardia you can take a pill for it and
              >get over it.

              Giardia seems to affect people quite differently. Some are totally
              unaffected, others can become extremely ill. Drugs can help, but
              won't cure it. If you've seen somebody with severe Giardia problems
              you will think twice before drinking untreated water. I have no idea
              if people show variable sensitivity to Cryptosporidium. As pointed
              out, you can't develop resistance to Giardia or Crypto.

              My strategy is to only drink clean water prior to the race, then use
              untreated water during the race only when necessary. See for more
              info:

              http://www.fc.net/~tdeagan/water/one.html

              Virtually all of our snow melted this week-maybe we'll get to leave
              the roads and hit the trails again.

              Mike

              Dr. Mike Farris mfarris@...
              Associate Professor of Biology http://www.hamline.edu/~mfarris
              Hamline University, St. Paul, MN 55014
            • Chip Tuthill
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 29, 2000
                At 09:09 AM 2/29/00 -0600, you wrote:
                >Jan wrote:
                >
                >> Besides if you should get giardia you can take a pill for it and
                >>get over it.
                >
                >Giardia seems to affect people quite differently. Some are totally
                >unaffected, others can become extremely ill. Drugs can help, but
                >won't cure it.

                Many years ago (12) i spent 49 days trekking and fighting stomach ailments
                in Nepal. One night in Lukla, my room mate decided enough. Instead of
                putting me out of my misery, he gave me a Swiss drug Tinabar. One dose
                cured 5.5 weeks of dysentary. I don't know if it is available in the US.
                Flagyl is/was a drug available for treating Giardia. That drug took 2 weeks
                to cure me in the US. Stay away from untested sources, treat the water
                or take the cure.

                chip tuthill

                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 29, 2000
                  Flagyl has cured my giardia but rough stuff and no booze with it. Try
                  Citricidal a grapefruit seed extract from Nutribiotic which works also two
                  other possibilities that I haven't used but would consider since they have
                  been reported to cure giardia: Oliveleaf extract (16% or more oleuropin) and
                  colostrum.