[hr100] Re: Drinking water along the course

    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 24, 2000
      There is enough water on the Hardrock course that I
      usually don't bother to fill both bottles in order to
      save weight. You can treat the water if you want, but
      since I already had giardia a few years ago I figure
      I'm immune to it now and don't bother.

      =====
      http://im.yahoo.com
    • Carl & Sally Yates
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 24, 2000
        I've had it 4 times but never from the HR course. I don't know how you
        become immune to it. I'm not! Idon't drink out of streams without using a
        water purifier like Coughlans. This area (Western States) is bad. The 1st
        time you have it the diarrhia is bad but other times you only need your nose
        to recognize it. Make your water last by adding clean snow to it when
        necessary.

        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 24, 2000
          I never treated the giardia when I got it after
          drinking stream water at Laural Highlands in 1996. I
          had a little diahrrea and gas for a couple of weeks
          but it didn't interrupt my training for Leadville. It
          was not as bad as catching a cold. Since then I drank
          untreated water at Leadville, Barkley, Western States,
          Superior, and Hardrock with no problems.

          =====
          http://im.yahoo.com
        • Mitchell A. Rossman
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 25, 2000
            Matt:

            I plan on taking one of my "SafeWater Anywhere" bottles with a mesh screen and
            built in filter. They were recommended to me late November after I posted a
            query to the Ultralist. I bought one and tried it. As people said, they work
            like a champ, easy to fill, with a high flow rate. No chance of getting sick.
            No financial interest.

            Mitch Rossman
            Minneapolis

            Matt Mahoney <matmahoney@...> on 02/24/2000 04:43:56 PM

            Please respond to hr100@egroups.com

            To: hr100@egroups.com
            cc: (bcc: Mitchell A. Rossman/MIPP/Imation)

            There is enough water on the Hardrock course that I
            usually don't bother to fill both bottles in order to
            save weight. You can treat the water if you want, but
            since I already had giardia a few years ago I figure
            I'm immune to it now and don't bother.

            =====

            @Backup-The Easiest Way to Protect and Access your files.
            Automatic backups and off-site storage of your critical data. Install
            your FREE trial today and have a chance to WIN a digital camera!
            Click here.
            http://click.egroups.com/1/1830/1/_/382674/_/951432368/

            -- http://www.egroups.com/cal?listname=hr100&m=1
          • Keri French
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 26, 2000
              Blake P. Wood wrote:

              > Duncan - There is plenty of water on the course, except over
              > some of the high passes. I'd guess that the longest you could
              > be away from a stream of water is 2 hours. Either a filter
              > bottle or iodine will work fine. I've always used the
              > latter. Matt Mahoney will probably tell you that he doesn't
              > bother to treat the water at all, but I'm not as brave as him.
              >
              > - Blake
              >
              > Blake P. Wood
              > Physics Div., Plasma Physics Group P-24, MS-E526,
              > Los Alamos Nat'l Lab, Los Alamos NM 87545
              > (505) 665-6524 Fax: (505) 665-3552 bwood@...
              > http://microserf.lanl.gov/bpw/bpwplan.html
              >
              > At 02:16 PM 2/24/00 -0700, Duncan Orr wrote:
              > What's the scoop on drinking water along the course? Is it
              > important to carry all water as in most other 100's or are there
              > enough safe creeks that we do not have to carry as much? Are
              > there creeks most everywhere? Do runners carry filters? Any
              > insight would be appreciated.

              > Apply NOW!

              > -- http://www.egroups.com/vote?listname=hr100&m=1

              here is yet another response about the drinking water topic. I was
              hesitant to drink from the streams at first but upon hearing from a number
              of people who suffered no ill effect from it , I give it a go. It was nice
              to only have to carry two bottles. Iwas selective where I filled up
              choosing to use smaller side streams in the canyons coming off of slopes
              where even ultrarunners haven't been. This made it easy to stay very
              hydrated through the entire course. Besides if you should get giardia you
              can take a pill for it and get over it. If you DNF due to dehydration
              complications thats gonna be a lot harder to get over as a lot of us can
              attest to.
            • Michael A. Farris
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 29, 2000
                Jan wrote:

                > Besides if you should get giardia you can take a pill for it and
                >get over it.

                Giardia seems to affect people quite differently. Some are totally
                unaffected, others can become extremely ill. Drugs can help, but
                won't cure it. If you've seen somebody with severe Giardia problems
                you will think twice before drinking untreated water. I have no idea
                if people show variable sensitivity to Cryptosporidium. As pointed
                out, you can't develop resistance to Giardia or Crypto.

                My strategy is to only drink clean water prior to the race, then use
                untreated water during the race only when necessary. See for more
                info:

                http://www.fc.net/~tdeagan/water/one.html

                Virtually all of our snow melted this week-maybe we'll get to leave
                the roads and hit the trails again.

                Mike

                Dr. Mike Farris mfarris@...
                Associate Professor of Biology http://www.hamline.edu/~mfarris
                Hamline University, St. Paul, MN 55014
              • Chip Tuthill
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 29, 2000
                  At 09:09 AM 2/29/00 -0600, you wrote:
                  >Jan wrote:
                  >
                  >> Besides if you should get giardia you can take a pill for it and
                  >>get over it.
                  >
                  >Giardia seems to affect people quite differently. Some are totally
                  >unaffected, others can become extremely ill. Drugs can help, but
                  >won't cure it.

                  Many years ago (12) i spent 49 days trekking and fighting stomach ailments
                  in Nepal. One night in Lukla, my room mate decided enough. Instead of
                  putting me out of my misery, he gave me a Swiss drug Tinabar. One dose
                  cured 5.5 weeks of dysentary. I don't know if it is available in the US.
                  Flagyl is/was a drug available for treating Giardia. That drug took 2 weeks
                  to cure me in the US. Stay away from untested sources, treat the water
                  or take the cure.

                  chip tuthill

                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 29, 2000
                    Flagyl has cured my giardia but rough stuff and no booze with it. Try
                    Citricidal a grapefruit seed extract from Nutribiotic which works also two
                    other possibilities that I haven't used but would consider since they have
                    been reported to cure giardia: Oliveleaf extract (16% or more oleuropin) and
                    colostrum.