[hr100] Re: Gaiters, etc.

  • danar@us.ibm.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 24, 2000
      I don't wear gaiters either. I have found at Hardrock, the only places I
      had a problems with sand in my shoes was going down the South side of
      Grant/Swamp pass in a dry year and in some stream crossings. On
      Grant/Swamp I just waited until I got to firm ground and took a minute to
      dump the sand and rocks out of my shoes. For the stream crossings, gaiters
      or not, the sand can filter right through the mesh on your shoes. If that
      happens, then you have to remove your gaiters as well as shoes.

      In general, I don't mind stopping a few times during a 100 mile run to
      clean out my shoes. Sometimes airing out those hot, tired and achy dogs
      can feel just terrific.

      For clothes, I never even consider going in the mountains without a
      lightweight goretex jacket. Just with that, I find I can tolerate some
      pretty nasty weather in comfort. Underneath, I wear a Patagonia midweight
      capilene tneck and a lightweight fleece top. I used to wear two layers of
      midweight polypro but found the capilene/fleece combo to be a lot more
      comfortable when wet.

      I wear shorts until it is below 25 degrees, then nylon pants so I don't
      have to take my shoes off in the dark when putting them on. In 1998 I only
      wore pants while climbing Handies. I recently bought an Outdoor Research
      "sombrero" that has a wide brim and is goretex lined. I use fleece gloves
      and that is about it for clothes.

      I carry all of my clothes the whole way because if the weather changes, I
      want to have them handy. I use a cheap superlight nylon daypack to carry
      my clothes and one bottle for fluids. I carry a second bottle in a solo
      bottle carrier around my waist. Other important items are sunglasses,
      flashlights and batteries.

      I was planning on no drop bags since I like to have all of my stuff but
      decided to have a change of shoes and socks at Ouray. I'll go with
      lightweight shoes for the first half when I'm actually doing some running
      and will change into heavier more comfy shoes when I'm into the ultra
      shuffle.

      Dana

      Dana Roueche
      Boulder, CO