[hr100] Re: Drinking water along the course

  • Blake P. Wood
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 24, 2000
      Duncan - There is plenty of water on the course, except over
      some of the high passes. I'd guess that the longest you could
      be away from a stream of water is 2 hours. Either a filter
      bottle or iodine will work fine. I've always used the
      latter. Matt Mahoney will probably tell you that he doesn't
      bother to treat the water at all, but I'm not as brave as him.

      - Blake

      Blake P. Wood
      Physics Div., Plasma Physics Group P-24, MS-E526,
      Los Alamos Nat'l Lab, Los Alamos NM 87545
      (505) 665-6524 Fax: (505) 665-3552 bwood@...
      http://microserf.lanl.gov/bpw/bpwplan.html

      At 02:16 PM 2/24/00 -0700, Duncan Orr wrote:
      What's the scoop on drinking water along the course? Is it
      important to carry all water as in most other 100's or are there
      enough safe creeks that we do not have to carry as much? Are
      there creeks most everywhere? Do runners carry filters? Any
      insight would be appreciated.
    • danar@us.ibm.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 24, 2000
        There is plenty of water all along the course. I would not carry more than
        50 oz of water at anytime, you don't need to. As far as drinking out of
        streams, it is a personal decision. I drank direct from the streams in the
        two prior years that I ran without getting sick and I plan on doing it
        again. If the idea concers you, then carry a filter bottle or a small pump
        so you don't need to worry.

        Dana

        Dana Roueche
        Boulder, CO
        mailto:danar@...
        tieline: 419-7020, 6-7020
        Outside line: 303-354-7020
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 24, 2000
          There is enough water on the Hardrock course that I
          usually don't bother to fill both bottles in order to
          save weight. You can treat the water if you want, but
          since I already had giardia a few years ago I figure
          I'm immune to it now and don't bother.

          =====
          http://im.yahoo.com
        • Carl & Sally Yates
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 24, 2000
            I've had it 4 times but never from the HR course. I don't know how you
            become immune to it. I'm not! Idon't drink out of streams without using a
            water purifier like Coughlans. This area (Western States) is bad. The 1st
            time you have it the diarrhia is bad but other times you only need your nose
            to recognize it. Make your water last by adding clean snow to it when
            necessary.

            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 24, 2000
              I never treated the giardia when I got it after
              drinking stream water at Laural Highlands in 1996. I
              had a little diahrrea and gas for a couple of weeks
              but it didn't interrupt my training for Leadville. It
              was not as bad as catching a cold. Since then I drank
              untreated water at Leadville, Barkley, Western States,
              Superior, and Hardrock with no problems.

              =====
              http://im.yahoo.com
            • Mitchell A. Rossman
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 25, 2000
                Matt:

                I plan on taking one of my "SafeWater Anywhere" bottles with a mesh screen and
                built in filter. They were recommended to me late November after I posted a
                query to the Ultralist. I bought one and tried it. As people said, they work
                like a champ, easy to fill, with a high flow rate. No chance of getting sick.
                No financial interest.

                Mitch Rossman
                Minneapolis

                Matt Mahoney <matmahoney@...> on 02/24/2000 04:43:56 PM

                Please respond to hr100@egroups.com

                To: hr100@egroups.com
                cc: (bcc: Mitchell A. Rossman/MIPP/Imation)

                There is enough water on the Hardrock course that I
                usually don't bother to fill both bottles in order to
                save weight. You can treat the water if you want, but
                since I already had giardia a few years ago I figure
                I'm immune to it now and don't bother.

                =====

                @Backup-The Easiest Way to Protect and Access your files.
                Automatic backups and off-site storage of your critical data. Install
                your FREE trial today and have a chance to WIN a digital camera!
                Click here.
                http://click.egroups.com/1/1830/1/_/382674/_/951432368/

                -- http://www.egroups.com/cal?listname=hr100&m=1
              • Keri French
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 26, 2000
                  Blake P. Wood wrote:

                  > Duncan - There is plenty of water on the course, except over
                  > some of the high passes. I'd guess that the longest you could
                  > be away from a stream of water is 2 hours. Either a filter
                  > bottle or iodine will work fine. I've always used the
                  > latter. Matt Mahoney will probably tell you that he doesn't
                  > bother to treat the water at all, but I'm not as brave as him.
                  >
                  > - Blake
                  >
                  > Blake P. Wood
                  > Physics Div., Plasma Physics Group P-24, MS-E526,
                  > Los Alamos Nat'l Lab, Los Alamos NM 87545
                  > (505) 665-6524 Fax: (505) 665-3552 bwood@...
                  > http://microserf.lanl.gov/bpw/bpwplan.html
                  >
                  > At 02:16 PM 2/24/00 -0700, Duncan Orr wrote:
                  > What's the scoop on drinking water along the course? Is it
                  > important to carry all water as in most other 100's or are there
                  > enough safe creeks that we do not have to carry as much? Are
                  > there creeks most everywhere? Do runners carry filters? Any
                  > insight would be appreciated.

                  > Apply NOW!

                  > -- http://www.egroups.com/vote?listname=hr100&m=1

                  here is yet another response about the drinking water topic. I was
                  hesitant to drink from the streams at first but upon hearing from a number
                  of people who suffered no ill effect from it , I give it a go. It was nice
                  to only have to carry two bottles. Iwas selective where I filled up
                  choosing to use smaller side streams in the canyons coming off of slopes
                  where even ultrarunners haven't been. This made it easy to stay very
                  hydrated through the entire course. Besides if you should get giardia you
                  can take a pill for it and get over it. If you DNF due to dehydration
                  complications thats gonna be a lot harder to get over as a lot of us can
                  attest to.
                • Michael A. Farris
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 29, 2000
                    Jan wrote:

                    > Besides if you should get giardia you can take a pill for it and
                    >get over it.

                    Giardia seems to affect people quite differently. Some are totally
                    unaffected, others can become extremely ill. Drugs can help, but
                    won't cure it. If you've seen somebody with severe Giardia problems
                    you will think twice before drinking untreated water. I have no idea
                    if people show variable sensitivity to Cryptosporidium. As pointed
                    out, you can't develop resistance to Giardia or Crypto.

                    My strategy is to only drink clean water prior to the race, then use
                    untreated water during the race only when necessary. See for more
                    info:

                    http://www.fc.net/~tdeagan/water/one.html

                    Virtually all of our snow melted this week-maybe we'll get to leave
                    the roads and hit the trails again.

                    Mike

                    Dr. Mike Farris mfarris@...
                    Associate Professor of Biology http://www.hamline.edu/~mfarris
                    Hamline University, St. Paul, MN 55014
                  • Chip Tuthill
                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 29, 2000
                      At 09:09 AM 2/29/00 -0600, you wrote:
                      >Jan wrote:
                      >
                      >> Besides if you should get giardia you can take a pill for it and
                      >>get over it.
                      >
                      >Giardia seems to affect people quite differently. Some are totally
                      >unaffected, others can become extremely ill. Drugs can help, but
                      >won't cure it.

                      Many years ago (12) i spent 49 days trekking and fighting stomach ailments
                      in Nepal. One night in Lukla, my room mate decided enough. Instead of
                      putting me out of my misery, he gave me a Swiss drug Tinabar. One dose
                      cured 5.5 weeks of dysentary. I don't know if it is available in the US.
                      Flagyl is/was a drug available for treating Giardia. That drug took 2 weeks
                      to cure me in the US. Stay away from untested sources, treat the water
                      or take the cure.

                      chip tuthill

                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 29, 2000
                        Flagyl has cured my giardia but rough stuff and no booze with it. Try
                        Citricidal a grapefruit seed extract from Nutribiotic which works also two
                        other possibilities that I haven't used but would consider since they have
                        been reported to cure giardia: Oliveleaf extract (16% or more oleuropin) and
                        colostrum.