Sam found!

  • Laura Turvey & Todd Burgess
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 7, 2001
      A couple weeks before the race I sent an email asking Hardrockers who were
      in the San Juans to help a fellow runner find his wolf-dog. At least a few
      helped in the search. Here's the exciting conclusion.
      Todd

      Laila got a call this afternoon from a Minnesota couple at the Elk Creek
      Campground near the intersection of Forest Road 250 and Colorado Highway 17
      saying they had found Sam. At first Laila was sceptical, especially with the
      recent "sightings", and was unsure why they were calling him "Samson" and
      not Sam. When she called me I immediately knew he had been found, because
      Samson is his full name on his collar.

      After the now familiar 4 hour drive we pulled up to the Elk Creek Trailhead
      where the Minnesota couple had by now secured him. I first saw Sam from a
      distance of 300 yards. He had already spotted my truck and was slowly
      wagging his tail. I drove right up to him jumped out of the truck and he was
      all over me. Very skinny after 35 days on his own--a veritable bag of bones.
      Ted from Minnesota had cut off his harness because it had deeply gouged into
      his flesh on his left front leg. He had lost the leash and the pack, but it
      appeared he had had a hard time in the wild. I fed him some well-deserved
      beef jerky before the four hour drive back to Colorado Springs. He is now
      happily snoozing in the back bedroom.

      Thanks for your support!

      We are all eagerly awaiting his trip report! (He has not yet uttered a sound
      though. Not even a low level howl)

      Steve Bremner
      www.coloradotrailrunning.com