[hr100] Drinking water along the course

  • Duncan Orr
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 24, 2000
      Hi all,
      As a first time Hardrock runner, I feel most intimidated by this endeavor.
      What's the scoop on drinking water along the course? Is it important to
      carry all water as in most other 100's or are there enough safe creeks that
      we do not have to carry as much? Are there creeks most everywhere? Do
      runners carry filters? Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks,
      Duncan Orr
      Midway, UT

      Uinta Currency
      POB 781
      Midway, UT 84049
      http://www.uintacurrency.com
      dorr@...
    • Blake P. Wood
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 24, 2000
        Duncan - There is plenty of water on the course, except over
        some of the high passes. I'd guess that the longest you could
        be away from a stream of water is 2 hours. Either a filter
        bottle or iodine will work fine. I've always used the
        latter. Matt Mahoney will probably tell you that he doesn't
        bother to treat the water at all, but I'm not as brave as him.

        - Blake

        Blake P. Wood
        Physics Div., Plasma Physics Group P-24, MS-E526,
        Los Alamos Nat'l Lab, Los Alamos NM 87545
        (505) 665-6524 Fax: (505) 665-3552 bwood@...
        http://microserf.lanl.gov/bpw/bpwplan.html

      • danar@us.ibm.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 24, 2000
          There is plenty of water all along the course. I would not carry more than
          50 oz of water at anytime, you don't need to. As far as drinking out of
          streams, it is a personal decision. I drank direct from the streams in the
          two prior years that I ran without getting sick and I plan on doing it
          again. If the idea concers you, then carry a filter bottle or a small pump
          so you don't need to worry.

          Dana

          Dana Roueche
          Boulder, CO
          mailto:danar@...
          tieline: 419-7020, 6-7020
          Outside line: 303-354-7020
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 24, 2000
            There is enough water on the Hardrock course that I
            usually don't bother to fill both bottles in order to
            save weight. You can treat the water if you want, but
            since I already had giardia a few years ago I figure
            I'm immune to it now and don't bother.

            =====
            http://im.yahoo.com
          • Carl & Sally Yates
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 24, 2000
              I've had it 4 times but never from the HR course. I don't know how you
              become immune to it. I'm not! Idon't drink out of streams without using a
              water purifier like Coughlans. This area (Western States) is bad. The 1st
              time you have it the diarrhia is bad but other times you only need your nose
              to recognize it. Make your water last by adding clean snow to it when
              necessary.

              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 24, 2000
                I never treated the giardia when I got it after
                drinking stream water at Laural Highlands in 1996. I
                had a little diahrrea and gas for a couple of weeks
                but it didn't interrupt my training for Leadville. It
                was not as bad as catching a cold. Since then I drank
                untreated water at Leadville, Barkley, Western States,
                Superior, and Hardrock with no problems.

                =====
                http://im.yahoo.com
              • Mitchell A. Rossman
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 25, 2000
                  Matt:

                  I plan on taking one of my "SafeWater Anywhere" bottles with a mesh screen and
                  built in filter. They were recommended to me late November after I posted a
                  query to the Ultralist. I bought one and tried it. As people said, they work
                  like a champ, easy to fill, with a high flow rate. No chance of getting sick.
                  No financial interest.

                  Mitch Rossman
                  Minneapolis

                  Matt Mahoney <matmahoney@...> on 02/24/2000 04:43:56 PM

                  Please respond to hr100@egroups.com

                  To: hr100@egroups.com
                  cc: (bcc: Mitchell A. Rossman/MIPP/Imation)

                  There is enough water on the Hardrock course that I
                  usually don't bother to fill both bottles in order to
                  save weight. You can treat the water if you want, but
                  since I already had giardia a few years ago I figure
                  I'm immune to it now and don't bother.

                  =====

                  @Backup-The Easiest Way to Protect and Access your files.
                  Automatic backups and off-site storage of your critical data. Install
                  your FREE trial today and have a chance to WIN a digital camera!
                  Click here.
                  http://click.egroups.com/1/1830/1/_/382674/_/951432368/

                  -- http://www.egroups.com/cal?listname=hr100&m=1
                • Keri French
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 26, 2000
                    Blake P. Wood wrote:

                    > Duncan - There is plenty of water on the course, except over
                    > some of the high passes. I'd guess that the longest you could
                    > be away from a stream of water is 2 hours. Either a filter
                    > bottle or iodine will work fine. I've always used the
                    > latter. Matt Mahoney will probably tell you that he doesn't
                    > bother to treat the water at all, but I'm not as brave as him.
                    >
                    > - Blake
                    >
                    > Blake P. Wood
                    > Physics Div., Plasma Physics Group P-24, MS-E526,
                    > Los Alamos Nat'l Lab, Los Alamos NM 87545
                    > (505) 665-6524 Fax: (505) 665-3552 bwood@...
                    > http://microserf.lanl.gov/bpw/bpwplan.html
                    >
                    > At 02:16 PM 2/24/00 -0700, Duncan Orr wrote:
                    > What's the scoop on drinking water along the course? Is it
                    > important to carry all water as in most other 100's or are there
                    > enough safe creeks that we do not have to carry as much? Are
                    > there creeks most everywhere? Do runners carry filters? Any
                    > insight would be appreciated.

                    > Apply NOW!

                    > -- http://www.egroups.com/vote?listname=hr100&m=1

                    here is yet another response about the drinking water topic. I was
                    hesitant to drink from the streams at first but upon hearing from a number
                    of people who suffered no ill effect from it , I give it a go. It was nice
                    to only have to carry two bottles. Iwas selective where I filled up
                    choosing to use smaller side streams in the canyons coming off of slopes
                    where even ultrarunners haven't been. This made it easy to stay very
                    hydrated through the entire course. Besides if you should get giardia you
                    can take a pill for it and get over it. If you DNF due to dehydration
                    complications thats gonna be a lot harder to get over as a lot of us can
                    attest to.
                  • Michael A. Farris
                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 29, 2000
                      Jan wrote:

                      > Besides if you should get giardia you can take a pill for it and
                      >get over it.

                      Giardia seems to affect people quite differently. Some are totally
                      unaffected, others can become extremely ill. Drugs can help, but
                      won't cure it. If you've seen somebody with severe Giardia problems
                      you will think twice before drinking untreated water. I have no idea
                      if people show variable sensitivity to Cryptosporidium. As pointed
                      out, you can't develop resistance to Giardia or Crypto.

                      My strategy is to only drink clean water prior to the race, then use
                      untreated water during the race only when necessary. See for more
                      info:

                      http://www.fc.net/~tdeagan/water/one.html

                      Virtually all of our snow melted this week-maybe we'll get to leave
                      the roads and hit the trails again.

                      Mike

                      Dr. Mike Farris mfarris@...
                      Associate Professor of Biology http://www.hamline.edu/~mfarris
                      Hamline University, St. Paul, MN 55014
                    • Chip Tuthill
                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 29, 2000
                        At 09:09 AM 2/29/00 -0600, you wrote:
                        >Jan wrote:
                        >
                        >> Besides if you should get giardia you can take a pill for it and
                        >>get over it.
                        >
                        >Giardia seems to affect people quite differently. Some are totally
                        >unaffected, others can become extremely ill. Drugs can help, but
                        >won't cure it.

                        Many years ago (12) i spent 49 days trekking and fighting stomach ailments
                        in Nepal. One night in Lukla, my room mate decided enough. Instead of
                        putting me out of my misery, he gave me a Swiss drug Tinabar. One dose
                        cured 5.5 weeks of dysentary. I don't know if it is available in the US.
                        Flagyl is/was a drug available for treating Giardia. That drug took 2 weeks
                        to cure me in the US. Stay away from untested sources, treat the water
                        or take the cure.

                        chip tuthill

                        Message 11 of 11 , Feb 29, 2000
                          Flagyl has cured my giardia but rough stuff and no booze with it. Try
                          Citricidal a grapefruit seed extract from Nutribiotic which works also two
                          other possibilities that I haven't used but would consider since they have
                          been reported to cure giardia: Oliveleaf extract (16% or more oleuropin) and
                          colostrum.