Re: [hr100] HardRock100 story (looooong)

  • GRoachHigh@aol.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 31, 2001
      For Randy Dunn

      Congratulations, Randy. How I wish I could have been right behind you. ANY
      finish at Hardrock is commendable. Last year, my time was 49:15. I was
      unofficial but I was very happy, nonetheless. This year, I was a DNF and I
      have been regretting it ever since I consented to letting them cut my wrist
      band at Grouse.

      Jennifer Roach
      Boulder, CO.
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 1, 2001
        --- dunnrd <dunnrd@...> wrote:
        > I was on track for finishing under the cutoff until
        > I went through the
        > Maggie-Cunningham section on Sunday night. I got
        > caught up in some personal
        > mind games that went something like this:
        > "Gee, it seems like there hasn't been a course
        > marker for a while. Did I
        > follow the course correctly at the last junction, or
        > am I off course?

        Sounds familiar. In 1998 I finished unofficially in
        51:38. It was also my first experience going 2 nights
        without sleep and made a series of mistakes that cost
        me an official finish. This was a counterclockwise
        year, in the "hard" direction with all the good roads
        going uphill. I had run Western States 2 weeks
        earlier, and due to the travel across NV and UT, only
        had about 8 days of high altitude acclimation before
        the race. I had no crew or pacer and did not put out
        any drop bags.

        I had planned to sleep the first night at the Ouray
        aid station from whatever time I got there until
        sunrise at 6:00 AM. That gave me 15 minutes on the
        noisy, brightly lit concrete floor. In Telluride I
        was surprised to see Joel Zucker, 2 days before he
        died of a cerebral aneurism. He was complaining of a
        severe migrane headache and was considering dropping,
        but he did finish in 47:37, his best time.

        Things started going badly at Grant-Swamp Pass while
        it was still daylight. Ginny LaForme and I missed the
        right turn onto the trail up to the 11,000 ft. shelf.
        She insisted we passed it, and I insisted we didn't,
        so we separated. She was right. I ended up
        bushwacking up a waterfall and 45 degree slopes
        covered with willows in a thunderstorm, losing about
        an hour. I descended the pass in the dark with a 2 AA
        maglite, very slowly on a strangely unfamiliar course,
        stopping at each marker to find the next one. On the
        Ice Lake trail, I missed the turnoff to the waterfall
        crossing, bushwacking down a horribly steep slope
        covered with deadfall and undergrowth, guided only by
        the sound of the waterfall in complete darkness.
        After the KT aid station (about 11 PM) I went 1/4 mile
        past the Mineral Creek crossing on the jeep road, and
        a volunteer ran after me to get me back on course.

        A week earlier I had hiked the last section from KT to
        Silverton. So why was it now that I didn't recognize
        any part of the course? I knew it was the right way
        because there were markers, but I sure didn't
        recognize any of it. But once I reached the open
        tundra fields near 13,000 ft at about 2 AM, there were
        no more markers. Maybe they were blown down in the
        storm, or pulled out by elk, or never placed because
        of snow when the area was marked a week ago. But I
        had a clear view of the surrounding terrain under a
        full moon and clear skies. I got out my map, but
        couldn't make sense of it. I spent 3 hours wandering
        in circles, climbing hills for a better view, or
        wandering over to the edge of cliffs to find
        identifiable landmarks that would locate me on the
        map. There was a large ridge to the east, perhaps
        several miles away, but I couldn't match it with any
        feature on the map. I had no idea it was the
        Porcupine-Putnam ridge we were supposed to climb over,
        less than a mile away.

        I was alone, and it was 3 hours before the next
        runner, Fred Vance caught up. He had finished Barkley
        and would be running Badwater in 4 days (he would
        finish), but here he had mild pulmonary edema and was
        climbing very slowly at 13,000 ft. We found our way
        as the sky got light. It was already after 6 AM when
        we reached the Putnam aid station (present only in CCW
        years) with 5 miles to go. Even though it was over,
        we took the Nute Chute instead of the road, and
        finished together at 9:38:34 AM after the awards had
        already started.

        I had not anticipated how sleep deprivation affects
        your ability to think clearly with regard to
        navigation and decision making. I wasn't even sleepy
        on the second night - I was mad that I was lost. It
        was only after the race that it hit me. I would close
        my eyes while standing and fall asleep in 1 second,
        only to awaken as I started to fall. I took an 8 hour
        nap and slept 10 more hours that night in my tent.

        In 1999 I took the unusual step of arranging for a
        pacer for the last part of the course from Cunningham.
        It turned out he couldn't keep up on the descent, and
        I finished in 42:39 on 3 minutes sleep on the second
        afternoon. I had better altitude acclimation that
        year. In 2000 I had no pacer, but was careful to stay
        with other runners during the night, and finished in
        42:17. This year I finished in 45:00:03. I ran
        really hard through town, trying to break 45 hours,
        but I guess it could be worse.

        =====

        http://phonecard.yahoo.com/