[hr100] Re: Fwd: Another Rookie's Question

  • Charles T. Thorn
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 24, 2000
      Hi Bill Rideg and All,

      Below is an description that Matt Mahoney wrote about the last 25 miles of
      the Hardrock course. As one of the course designers, I request that you
      all disregard what Matt has to say because it's filled with vicious lies
      about Hardrock, God, and country. The following few paragraphs should
      clarify the true situation at Hardrock. We will probably replace the
      course description with this text.

      Charlie Thorn

      Hardrock Course Description, Counter Clockwise Direction, Telluride to
      Silverton
      By: Charles T. Thorn, esq.

      "At the Telluride aid station, you should go south up a long valley for a
      long way. When you get to really deep snow, go sharply down hill for 2.7
      miles and make sure you find the Chapman aid station. You might take a nap
      there. From Chapman, go south up a long valley for a long way. When you
      get to an impossible scree slope, climb it and then go down another
      impossible scree slope, keeping to the east of a beautiful lake with an
      island in the middle. Try not to set off any rock slides or avalanches in
      the scree. The punch is located on the island but we do not tell you
      exactly where because it's a small island. Also, reflective markers have
      not been found to stand up well in the waters of this particular lake.
      Then go down hill a long way, cross a deep creek without being washed over
      the falls and traverse along a grassy cliff to the next aid station. If
      you fall off the grassy cliff, please do not take aid at the South Mineral
      Campground because you will be DQ'ed. Also, climb back up to the official
      route before proceeding."

      "From KT aid station, cross another creek, immediately go across a deep mud
      pit and find the switchbacks. Go to tree line and find the next set of
      switchbacks. Then, there is no trail for a while in a grassy meadow and
      reflective markers were deliberately removed before the run. Be very
      carefull not to fall over the cliffs on your left and go cross country on
      the tundra to climb up another 45 degree grassy slope. From the top of
      that ridge the views are beautiful unless, of course it's night or too
      foggy to see. From there, go south to the next saddle, then turn left and
      make sure you find the obscure elk trail down the cliffs to the last aid
      station. Oh yeah, make sure you yield the right of way to the elk because
      they're protected out of season and they hate runners in all seasons.
      Also, you will be DQ'ed if you take the mine tunnel shortcuts located in
      Putnam Basin."

      "After you find the last aid station, it's really easy. Just go east to
      the trees and find the trail down the long, straight Boulder creek drainage
      to Mineral creek. Again, do not cause any unnecessary rock slides along
      that section. Then get out your rubber ducky and cross Mineral creek and
      the alligator swamp to the pavement. Usually there are representatives of
      run management there who, like the elk, are protected out of season. Climb
      up the short bank to the power line and old railroad track and go to
      Silverton and find the finish after crossing some private property and
      paying the 50 cent toll."

      "This last 28 miles is scenic, easy to find, and should be the most
      enjoyable part of the run."

      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 24, 2000
        --- "Charles T. Thorn" <thorn@...> wrote:
        > As one of the course
        > designers, I request that you
        > all disregard what Matt has to say because it's
        > filled with vicious lies
        > about Hardrock, God, and country.

        Yes, please disregard my previous post. Hardrock is a
        really easy course. It is so easy, that next year I
        hear it will be renamed to Easyrock. Pay no attention
        to rumors of mountains, rocks, altitude, snow, cliffs,
        avalanches, etc. It is all lies. The course is
        actually run on a rubberized track at the Silverton
        high school, with aid and masseuses every lap, and if
        you get too tired to run, volunteers will drive you
        around the track on a golf cart while you sleep.

        Of course its true that we reverse directions each
        year. This year we'll be going counterclockwise. And
        there will be flags every 10 feet along the inside of
        lane 1 so you can't get lost. Starting blocks are
        optional, and pacers are allowed after the second lap.

        =====
        http://im.yahoo.com