Re: [hr100] Re: HardRock100 story (looooong)

  • Eric Robinson
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 30, 2001
      Not sure, but in Strawberry Canyon here on the UC Berkeley
      campus, the last sighting of a mountain lion by a utility
      linesman turned out, upon investigation, to be a golden
      retriever...

      --- Steve Pero <ultrastevep@...> wrote:
      > Steve...
      >
      > What is the story of this "Labrador Tabby"? ...or did we
      > just create
      > it? All I know is that I saw some creature and I think it
      > was in the
      > process of eating something on Arrastra road when I
      > disturbed it's
      > feast. It leapt into the woods to the right and then I
      > cautiously
      > walked downhill, shining my light into the darkness behind
      > to be sure
      > I wasn't being followed. I was a bit scared to say the
      > least...
      >
      > Steve Pero
      > Steve & Joe, could this be the mythic "Laborador Tabby"
      > that is
      > mentioned
      > so seldom in San Juan history?
      > Steve

      > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      http://phonecard.yahoo.com/
    • dunnrd
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 31, 2001

        Here's some of the story:
        I came to Hardrock with the modest goal of finishing within the 48-hour
        cutoff, which I would guess is the minimal goal for anyone entered. (I
        actually hoped to finish in the 40 - 42 hour range because I was running
        without a pacer, and was very uncertain about how I would be able to handle
        staying awake the second night.) I felt confident that my training and
        preparation could support this goal. The first part of the run went pretty
        much as I expected that it would - I was real slow on the steep uphills, but
        was able to make up the time on the downhills. I had to deal with some
        problems that I had hoped that I could avoid (e.g., having extreme
        difficulty eating or keeping anything down from Ouray to the finish), but
        these problems were no different than what many other runners were dealing
        with.
        I was on track for finishing under the cutoff until I went through the
        Maggie-Cunningham section on Sunday night. I got caught up in some personal
        mind games that went something like this:
        "Gee, it seems like there hasn't been a course marker for a while. Did I
        follow the course correctly at the last junction, or am I off course? If
        I'm off course and keep going, I have no chance of finishing. On the other
        hand, if I backtrack to the last marker and make sure that I'm on course, I
        still have a shot at making it." At this point, I would backtrack to a
        previous junction and course marker only to find out that I had been going
        correctly. (I want to emphasize that the course was adequately marked - I
        made the decision to backtrack because of my uncertainty about my
        alertness.) The first time that I did this, Rollin and Jim came by and
        invited me to join them, which I gladly did. I managed to stay with them
        for most of the ascent, but could not keep up (I'm a slow climber) as we
        approached the top. I went through my little mind game twice on the descent.
        I finally got to the Cunningham aid station after more than 4 hours
        (significantly longer than nearly every other runner) from leaving the
        Maggie aid station. I went through the Cunningham aid station at about 1:00
        a.m. Sunday morning and started the long (slow) climb. When I got to the
        descent toward Silverton, I picked up the pace to a jog which got faster and
        faster as it became more apparent that time was running out. When I crossed
        the bridge into Silverton, I knew that my odds of finishing under 48 hours
        were slim. I took off my waist pack and ditched it behind a bush so that I
        wouldn't be carrying the weight. There were a few spectators doing
        everything they could for me - giving encouragement, trying to keep me
        posted on time remaining, making sure that I had a clear and open course to
        the finish. When I hit Greene Street, I went into a full sprint. As I neared
        the school, I saw that the time had already passed 48 hours. The official
        time for my unofficial finish was 48:01:11.
        I would be lying if I said that there wasn't some disappointment in missing
        the cutoff - after all, that was the target that I had been focused on for
        the entire run. But the disappointment was completely dwarfed by the
        experience that I had just gone through. I had spent two full days and
        nights in some of the most beautiful mountains in the world. I had spent
        time running, hiking and talking with many wonderful people. I had been
        encouraged and assisted by numerous wonderful people at every aid station. I
        had spent many hours in solitude. I was fortunate to avoid problems severe
        enough to force me to drop out. And I had completed the course on my own
        terms. I had taken every step, I didn't give up on my goal even when it
        became apparent that it was slipping away, and every decision during the run
        was made in real-time to the best of my ability to get me safely to the
        finish. I owned all of those decisions, I completed the course, and it was
        personally the most satisfying and rewarding run that I have ever
        participated in. All of the good things about my run completely overshadowed
        the 71 seconds and the few missteps that I made in executing the run.
        I didn't get my diploma, but I got a great education.

        Congratulations to all Hardrock runners.

        p.s. If anyone is interested in putting a face with my name, go to Ulli
        Kamm's picture on Virginius Pass.
        http://www.ultrawalk.com/Hardrock/Photos%20HR%202001.htm
        I'm on the left. Also pictured are Kevin Taverner, Ulli Kamm, and Susan
        Gardner.

        Randy Dunn
        dunnrd@...
      • GRoachHigh@aol.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 31, 2001
          For Randy Dunn

          Congratulations, Randy. How I wish I could have been right behind you. ANY
          finish at Hardrock is commendable. Last year, my time was 49:15. I was
          unofficial but I was very happy, nonetheless. This year, I was a DNF and I
          have been regretting it ever since I consented to letting them cut my wrist
          band at Grouse.

          Jennifer Roach
          Boulder, CO.
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 1, 2001
            --- dunnrd <dunnrd@...> wrote:
            > I was on track for finishing under the cutoff until
            > I went through the
            > Maggie-Cunningham section on Sunday night. I got
            > caught up in some personal
            > mind games that went something like this:
            > "Gee, it seems like there hasn't been a course
            > marker for a while. Did I
            > follow the course correctly at the last junction, or
            > am I off course?

            Sounds familiar. In 1998 I finished unofficially in
            51:38. It was also my first experience going 2 nights
            without sleep and made a series of mistakes that cost
            me an official finish. This was a counterclockwise
            year, in the "hard" direction with all the good roads
            going uphill. I had run Western States 2 weeks
            earlier, and due to the travel across NV and UT, only
            had about 8 days of high altitude acclimation before
            the race. I had no crew or pacer and did not put out
            any drop bags.

            I had planned to sleep the first night at the Ouray
            aid station from whatever time I got there until
            sunrise at 6:00 AM. That gave me 15 minutes on the
            noisy, brightly lit concrete floor. In Telluride I
            was surprised to see Joel Zucker, 2 days before he
            died of a cerebral aneurism. He was complaining of a
            severe migrane headache and was considering dropping,
            but he did finish in 47:37, his best time.

            Things started going badly at Grant-Swamp Pass while
            it was still daylight. Ginny LaForme and I missed the
            right turn onto the trail up to the 11,000 ft. shelf.
            She insisted we passed it, and I insisted we didn't,
            so we separated. She was right. I ended up
            bushwacking up a waterfall and 45 degree slopes
            covered with willows in a thunderstorm, losing about
            an hour. I descended the pass in the dark with a 2 AA
            maglite, very slowly on a strangely unfamiliar course,
            stopping at each marker to find the next one. On the
            Ice Lake trail, I missed the turnoff to the waterfall
            crossing, bushwacking down a horribly steep slope
            covered with deadfall and undergrowth, guided only by
            the sound of the waterfall in complete darkness.
            After the KT aid station (about 11 PM) I went 1/4 mile
            past the Mineral Creek crossing on the jeep road, and
            a volunteer ran after me to get me back on course.

            A week earlier I had hiked the last section from KT to
            Silverton. So why was it now that I didn't recognize
            any part of the course? I knew it was the right way
            because there were markers, but I sure didn't
            recognize any of it. But once I reached the open
            tundra fields near 13,000 ft at about 2 AM, there were
            no more markers. Maybe they were blown down in the
            storm, or pulled out by elk, or never placed because
            of snow when the area was marked a week ago. But I
            had a clear view of the surrounding terrain under a
            full moon and clear skies. I got out my map, but
            couldn't make sense of it. I spent 3 hours wandering
            in circles, climbing hills for a better view, or
            wandering over to the edge of cliffs to find
            identifiable landmarks that would locate me on the
            map. There was a large ridge to the east, perhaps
            several miles away, but I couldn't match it with any
            feature on the map. I had no idea it was the
            Porcupine-Putnam ridge we were supposed to climb over,
            less than a mile away.

            I was alone, and it was 3 hours before the next
            runner, Fred Vance caught up. He had finished Barkley
            and would be running Badwater in 4 days (he would
            finish), but here he had mild pulmonary edema and was
            climbing very slowly at 13,000 ft. We found our way
            as the sky got light. It was already after 6 AM when
            we reached the Putnam aid station (present only in CCW
            years) with 5 miles to go. Even though it was over,
            we took the Nute Chute instead of the road, and
            finished together at 9:38:34 AM after the awards had
            already started.

            I had not anticipated how sleep deprivation affects
            your ability to think clearly with regard to
            navigation and decision making. I wasn't even sleepy
            on the second night - I was mad that I was lost. It
            was only after the race that it hit me. I would close
            my eyes while standing and fall asleep in 1 second,
            only to awaken as I started to fall. I took an 8 hour
            nap and slept 10 more hours that night in my tent.

            In 1999 I took the unusual step of arranging for a
            pacer for the last part of the course from Cunningham.
            It turned out he couldn't keep up on the descent, and
            I finished in 42:39 on 3 minutes sleep on the second
            afternoon. I had better altitude acclimation that
            year. In 2000 I had no pacer, but was careful to stay
            with other runners during the night, and finished in
            42:17. This year I finished in 45:00:03. I ran
            really hard through town, trying to break 45 hours,
            but I guess it could be worse.

            =====

            http://phonecard.yahoo.com/