Re: [hr100] Re: HardRock100 story (looooong)

  • Stevan Pattillo
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 30, 2001
      Steve Pero,
      I don't know of any historical "beasts" in the San Juans. I do agree with
      Joe about the 'ninety miles stupid" part. My imagination is furtile enough
      without anybody suggesting anything and really setting me off. In '98 my
      wife/pacer and I were wandering down the road from the Uncompahgre river
      crossing toward Ouray and encountered a spitting over-pressiure valve on
      the water line. I was certain that it was a bear. Throw in fourty-plus
      hours on my feet and a room temperature IQ and I'm off in the ozone.
      It does seem odd that you all had similar 'visions" I'd contact the Vatican.
      Steve Pattillo
    • Eric Robinson
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 30, 2001
        Not sure, but in Strawberry Canyon here on the UC Berkeley
        campus, the last sighting of a mountain lion by a utility
        linesman turned out, upon investigation, to be a golden
        retriever...

        --- Steve Pero <ultrastevep@...> wrote:
        > Steve...
        >
        > What is the story of this "Labrador Tabby"? ...or did we
        > just create
        > it? All I know is that I saw some creature and I think it
        > was in the
        > process of eating something on Arrastra road when I
        > disturbed it's
        > feast. It leapt into the woods to the right and then I
        > cautiously
        > walked downhill, shining my light into the darkness behind
        > to be sure
        > I wasn't being followed. I was a bit scared to say the
        > least...
        >
        > Steve Pero
        > Steve & Joe, could this be the mythic "Laborador Tabby"
        > that is
        > mentioned
        > so seldom in San Juan history?
        > Steve

        > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        http://phonecard.yahoo.com/
      • dunnrd
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 31, 2001

          Here's some of the story:
          I came to Hardrock with the modest goal of finishing within the 48-hour
          cutoff, which I would guess is the minimal goal for anyone entered. (I
          actually hoped to finish in the 40 - 42 hour range because I was running
          without a pacer, and was very uncertain about how I would be able to handle
          staying awake the second night.) I felt confident that my training and
          preparation could support this goal. The first part of the run went pretty
          much as I expected that it would - I was real slow on the steep uphills, but
          was able to make up the time on the downhills. I had to deal with some
          problems that I had hoped that I could avoid (e.g., having extreme
          difficulty eating or keeping anything down from Ouray to the finish), but
          these problems were no different than what many other runners were dealing
          with.
          I was on track for finishing under the cutoff until I went through the
          Maggie-Cunningham section on Sunday night. I got caught up in some personal
          mind games that went something like this:
          "Gee, it seems like there hasn't been a course marker for a while. Did I
          follow the course correctly at the last junction, or am I off course? If
          I'm off course and keep going, I have no chance of finishing. On the other
          hand, if I backtrack to the last marker and make sure that I'm on course, I
          still have a shot at making it." At this point, I would backtrack to a
          previous junction and course marker only to find out that I had been going
          correctly. (I want to emphasize that the course was adequately marked - I
          made the decision to backtrack because of my uncertainty about my
          alertness.) The first time that I did this, Rollin and Jim came by and
          invited me to join them, which I gladly did. I managed to stay with them
          for most of the ascent, but could not keep up (I'm a slow climber) as we
          approached the top. I went through my little mind game twice on the descent.
          I finally got to the Cunningham aid station after more than 4 hours
          (significantly longer than nearly every other runner) from leaving the
          Maggie aid station. I went through the Cunningham aid station at about 1:00
          a.m. Sunday morning and started the long (slow) climb. When I got to the
          descent toward Silverton, I picked up the pace to a jog which got faster and
          faster as it became more apparent that time was running out. When I crossed
          the bridge into Silverton, I knew that my odds of finishing under 48 hours
          were slim. I took off my waist pack and ditched it behind a bush so that I
          wouldn't be carrying the weight. There were a few spectators doing
          everything they could for me - giving encouragement, trying to keep me
          posted on time remaining, making sure that I had a clear and open course to
          the finish. When I hit Greene Street, I went into a full sprint. As I neared
          the school, I saw that the time had already passed 48 hours. The official
          time for my unofficial finish was 48:01:11.
          I would be lying if I said that there wasn't some disappointment in missing
          the cutoff - after all, that was the target that I had been focused on for
          the entire run. But the disappointment was completely dwarfed by the
          experience that I had just gone through. I had spent two full days and
          nights in some of the most beautiful mountains in the world. I had spent
          time running, hiking and talking with many wonderful people. I had been
          encouraged and assisted by numerous wonderful people at every aid station. I
          had spent many hours in solitude. I was fortunate to avoid problems severe
          enough to force me to drop out. And I had completed the course on my own
          terms. I had taken every step, I didn't give up on my goal even when it
          became apparent that it was slipping away, and every decision during the run
          was made in real-time to the best of my ability to get me safely to the
          finish. I owned all of those decisions, I completed the course, and it was
          personally the most satisfying and rewarding run that I have ever
          participated in. All of the good things about my run completely overshadowed
          the 71 seconds and the few missteps that I made in executing the run.
          I didn't get my diploma, but I got a great education.

          Congratulations to all Hardrock runners.

          p.s. If anyone is interested in putting a face with my name, go to Ulli
          Kamm's picture on Virginius Pass.
          http://www.ultrawalk.com/Hardrock/Photos%20HR%202001.htm
          I'm on the left. Also pictured are Kevin Taverner, Ulli Kamm, and Susan
          Gardner.

          Randy Dunn
          dunnrd@...
        • GRoachHigh@aol.com
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 31, 2001
            For Randy Dunn

            Congratulations, Randy. How I wish I could have been right behind you. ANY
            finish at Hardrock is commendable. Last year, my time was 49:15. I was
            unofficial but I was very happy, nonetheless. This year, I was a DNF and I
            have been regretting it ever since I consented to letting them cut my wrist
            band at Grouse.

            Jennifer Roach
            Boulder, CO.
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 1, 2001
              --- dunnrd <dunnrd@...> wrote:
              > I was on track for finishing under the cutoff until
              > I went through the
              > Maggie-Cunningham section on Sunday night. I got
              > caught up in some personal
              > mind games that went something like this:
              > "Gee, it seems like there hasn't been a course
              > marker for a while. Did I
              > follow the course correctly at the last junction, or
              > am I off course?

              Sounds familiar. In 1998 I finished unofficially in
              51:38. It was also my first experience going 2 nights
              without sleep and made a series of mistakes that cost
              me an official finish. This was a counterclockwise
              year, in the "hard" direction with all the good roads
              going uphill. I had run Western States 2 weeks
              earlier, and due to the travel across NV and UT, only
              had about 8 days of high altitude acclimation before
              the race. I had no crew or pacer and did not put out
              any drop bags.

              I had planned to sleep the first night at the Ouray
              aid station from whatever time I got there until
              sunrise at 6:00 AM. That gave me 15 minutes on the
              noisy, brightly lit concrete floor. In Telluride I
              was surprised to see Joel Zucker, 2 days before he
              died of a cerebral aneurism. He was complaining of a
              severe migrane headache and was considering dropping,
              but he did finish in 47:37, his best time.

              Things started going badly at Grant-Swamp Pass while
              it was still daylight. Ginny LaForme and I missed the
              right turn onto the trail up to the 11,000 ft. shelf.
              She insisted we passed it, and I insisted we didn't,
              so we separated. She was right. I ended up
              bushwacking up a waterfall and 45 degree slopes
              covered with willows in a thunderstorm, losing about
              an hour. I descended the pass in the dark with a 2 AA
              maglite, very slowly on a strangely unfamiliar course,
              stopping at each marker to find the next one. On the
              Ice Lake trail, I missed the turnoff to the waterfall
              crossing, bushwacking down a horribly steep slope
              covered with deadfall and undergrowth, guided only by
              the sound of the waterfall in complete darkness.
              After the KT aid station (about 11 PM) I went 1/4 mile
              past the Mineral Creek crossing on the jeep road, and
              a volunteer ran after me to get me back on course.

              A week earlier I had hiked the last section from KT to
              Silverton. So why was it now that I didn't recognize
              any part of the course? I knew it was the right way
              because there were markers, but I sure didn't
              recognize any of it. But once I reached the open
              tundra fields near 13,000 ft at about 2 AM, there were
              no more markers. Maybe they were blown down in the
              storm, or pulled out by elk, or never placed because
              of snow when the area was marked a week ago. But I
              had a clear view of the surrounding terrain under a
              full moon and clear skies. I got out my map, but
              couldn't make sense of it. I spent 3 hours wandering
              in circles, climbing hills for a better view, or
              wandering over to the edge of cliffs to find
              identifiable landmarks that would locate me on the
              map. There was a large ridge to the east, perhaps
              several miles away, but I couldn't match it with any
              feature on the map. I had no idea it was the
              Porcupine-Putnam ridge we were supposed to climb over,
              less than a mile away.

              I was alone, and it was 3 hours before the next
              runner, Fred Vance caught up. He had finished Barkley
              and would be running Badwater in 4 days (he would
              finish), but here he had mild pulmonary edema and was
              climbing very slowly at 13,000 ft. We found our way
              as the sky got light. It was already after 6 AM when
              we reached the Putnam aid station (present only in CCW
              years) with 5 miles to go. Even though it was over,
              we took the Nute Chute instead of the road, and
              finished together at 9:38:34 AM after the awards had
              already started.

              I had not anticipated how sleep deprivation affects
              your ability to think clearly with regard to
              navigation and decision making. I wasn't even sleepy
              on the second night - I was mad that I was lost. It
              was only after the race that it hit me. I would close
              my eyes while standing and fall asleep in 1 second,
              only to awaken as I started to fall. I took an 8 hour
              nap and slept 10 more hours that night in my tent.

              In 1999 I took the unusual step of arranging for a
              pacer for the last part of the course from Cunningham.
              It turned out he couldn't keep up on the descent, and
              I finished in 42:39 on 3 minutes sleep on the second
              afternoon. I had better altitude acclimation that
              year. In 2000 I had no pacer, but was careful to stay
              with other runners during the night, and finished in
              42:17. This year I finished in 45:00:03. I ran
              really hard through town, trying to break 45 hours,
              but I guess it could be worse.

              =====

              http://phonecard.yahoo.com/