Re: [hr100] Re: HardRock100 story (looooong)

  • RLAFORME@LA-TIERRA.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 28, 2001
      Steve

      My daughter, Celeste, who was pacing Reinhold Baues to the finish, also
      reported seeing "glowing cat eyes" on that section. Really got her going
      too.
      Ginny
    • robert boeder
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 28, 2001
        That was John Cappis looking for cheaters.

        At 02:35 PM 7/28/2001 -0000, you wrote:
        >Good story Joe....brought back many memories, especially the fact
        >that I wasn't far behind you, so shared many of the same experiences.
        >Not having a pacer through the final three miles really slowed me
        >down though and as long as I didn't see any lights behind me, didn't
        >feel the need to move faster ;-)
        >
        >One thing in your story triggered a memory that I had only shared
        >with Deb....
        >While you were running down the road into Arrastra, you saw a dark
        >figure on the road.
        >Well, I also saw a dark figure, but even though it was very dark out,
        >I could somewhat make it out. When I first came running down the
        >road, my light caught the green eyes looking back at me and as I got
        >closer to it, the "labrador retriever" size animal lept very cat like
        >into the woods on the right. With one hop, it must've jumped ten feet
        >up! (No, I was not hallucinating)
        >
        >Does anyone know what this could have been? Have there been any
        >mountain lion sightings that close to Silverton?
        >All I know is it scared the heck out of me and I cautiously moved a
        >little quicker down the road, shining my light behind from time to
        >time.
        >
        >see you all next year!
        >Steve Pero
        >ultrastevep@...

      • Stevan Pattillo
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 30, 2001
          Ginny, You can tell that Celeste has an artistic backgrpund. While I was
          seeing Suburban seats she was seeing glowing cat eyes. I'm impressed!
          How are you doing?
          I'm finallt over my sinus infect and will get back to exercising today.
          Steve
        • Stevan Pattillo
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 30, 2001
            Steve & Joe, could this be the mythic "Laborador Tabby" that is mentioned
            so seldom in San Juan history?
            Steve
          • Steve Pero
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 30, 2001
              Steve...

              What is the story of this "Labrador Tabby"? ...or did we just create
              it? All I know is that I saw some creature and I think it was in the
              process of eating something on Arrastra road when I disturbed it's
              feast. It leapt into the woods to the right and then I cautiously
              walked downhill, shining my light into the darkness behind to be sure
              I wasn't being followed. I was a bit scared to say the least...

              Steve Pero
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 30, 2001
                Steve Pero,
                I don't know of any historical "beasts" in the San Juans. I do agree with
                Joe about the 'ninety miles stupid" part. My imagination is furtile enough
                without anybody suggesting anything and really setting me off. In '98 my
                wife/pacer and I were wandering down the road from the Uncompahgre river
                crossing toward Ouray and encountered a spitting over-pressiure valve on
                the water line. I was certain that it was a bear. Throw in fourty-plus
                hours on my feet and a room temperature IQ and I'm off in the ozone.
                It does seem odd that you all had similar 'visions" I'd contact the Vatican.
                Steve Pattillo
              • Eric Robinson
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 30, 2001
                  Not sure, but in Strawberry Canyon here on the UC Berkeley
                  campus, the last sighting of a mountain lion by a utility
                  linesman turned out, upon investigation, to be a golden
                  retriever...

                  --- Steve Pero <ultrastevep@...> wrote:
                  > Steve...
                  >
                  > What is the story of this "Labrador Tabby"? ...or did we
                  > just create
                  > it? All I know is that I saw some creature and I think it
                  > was in the
                  > process of eating something on Arrastra road when I
                  > disturbed it's
                  > feast. It leapt into the woods to the right and then I
                  > cautiously
                  > walked downhill, shining my light into the darkness behind
                  > to be sure
                  > I wasn't being followed. I was a bit scared to say the
                  > least...
                  >
                  > Steve Pero
                  > Steve & Joe, could this be the mythic "Laborador Tabby"
                  > that is
                  > mentioned
                  > so seldom in San Juan history?
                  > Steve

                  > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  http://phonecard.yahoo.com/
                • dunnrd
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 31, 2001

                    Here's some of the story:
                    I came to Hardrock with the modest goal of finishing within the 48-hour
                    cutoff, which I would guess is the minimal goal for anyone entered. (I
                    actually hoped to finish in the 40 - 42 hour range because I was running
                    without a pacer, and was very uncertain about how I would be able to handle
                    staying awake the second night.) I felt confident that my training and
                    preparation could support this goal. The first part of the run went pretty
                    much as I expected that it would - I was real slow on the steep uphills, but
                    was able to make up the time on the downhills. I had to deal with some
                    problems that I had hoped that I could avoid (e.g., having extreme
                    difficulty eating or keeping anything down from Ouray to the finish), but
                    these problems were no different than what many other runners were dealing
                    with.
                    I was on track for finishing under the cutoff until I went through the
                    Maggie-Cunningham section on Sunday night. I got caught up in some personal
                    mind games that went something like this:
                    "Gee, it seems like there hasn't been a course marker for a while. Did I
                    follow the course correctly at the last junction, or am I off course? If
                    I'm off course and keep going, I have no chance of finishing. On the other
                    hand, if I backtrack to the last marker and make sure that I'm on course, I
                    still have a shot at making it." At this point, I would backtrack to a
                    previous junction and course marker only to find out that I had been going
                    correctly. (I want to emphasize that the course was adequately marked - I
                    made the decision to backtrack because of my uncertainty about my
                    alertness.) The first time that I did this, Rollin and Jim came by and
                    invited me to join them, which I gladly did. I managed to stay with them
                    for most of the ascent, but could not keep up (I'm a slow climber) as we
                    approached the top. I went through my little mind game twice on the descent.
                    I finally got to the Cunningham aid station after more than 4 hours
                    (significantly longer than nearly every other runner) from leaving the
                    Maggie aid station. I went through the Cunningham aid station at about 1:00
                    a.m. Sunday morning and started the long (slow) climb. When I got to the
                    descent toward Silverton, I picked up the pace to a jog which got faster and
                    faster as it became more apparent that time was running out. When I crossed
                    the bridge into Silverton, I knew that my odds of finishing under 48 hours
                    were slim. I took off my waist pack and ditched it behind a bush so that I
                    wouldn't be carrying the weight. There were a few spectators doing
                    everything they could for me - giving encouragement, trying to keep me
                    posted on time remaining, making sure that I had a clear and open course to
                    the finish. When I hit Greene Street, I went into a full sprint. As I neared
                    the school, I saw that the time had already passed 48 hours. The official
                    time for my unofficial finish was 48:01:11.
                    I would be lying if I said that there wasn't some disappointment in missing
                    the cutoff - after all, that was the target that I had been focused on for
                    the entire run. But the disappointment was completely dwarfed by the
                    experience that I had just gone through. I had spent two full days and
                    nights in some of the most beautiful mountains in the world. I had spent
                    time running, hiking and talking with many wonderful people. I had been
                    encouraged and assisted by numerous wonderful people at every aid station. I
                    had spent many hours in solitude. I was fortunate to avoid problems severe
                    enough to force me to drop out. And I had completed the course on my own
                    terms. I had taken every step, I didn't give up on my goal even when it
                    became apparent that it was slipping away, and every decision during the run
                    was made in real-time to the best of my ability to get me safely to the
                    finish. I owned all of those decisions, I completed the course, and it was
                    personally the most satisfying and rewarding run that I have ever
                    participated in. All of the good things about my run completely overshadowed
                    the 71 seconds and the few missteps that I made in executing the run.
                    I didn't get my diploma, but I got a great education.

                    Congratulations to all Hardrock runners.

                    p.s. If anyone is interested in putting a face with my name, go to Ulli
                    Kamm's picture on Virginius Pass.
                    http://www.ultrawalk.com/Hardrock/Photos%20HR%202001.htm
                    I'm on the left. Also pictured are Kevin Taverner, Ulli Kamm, and Susan
                    Gardner.

                    Randy Dunn
                    dunnrd@...
                  • GRoachHigh@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 31, 2001
                      For Randy Dunn

                      Congratulations, Randy. How I wish I could have been right behind you. ANY
                      finish at Hardrock is commendable. Last year, my time was 49:15. I was
                      unofficial but I was very happy, nonetheless. This year, I was a DNF and I
                      have been regretting it ever since I consented to letting them cut my wrist
                      band at Grouse.

                      Jennifer Roach
                      Boulder, CO.
                      Message 10 of 14 , Aug 1, 2001
                        --- dunnrd <dunnrd@...> wrote:
                        > I was on track for finishing under the cutoff until
                        > I went through the
                        > Maggie-Cunningham section on Sunday night. I got
                        > caught up in some personal
                        > mind games that went something like this:
                        > "Gee, it seems like there hasn't been a course
                        > marker for a while. Did I
                        > follow the course correctly at the last junction, or
                        > am I off course?

                        Sounds familiar. In 1998 I finished unofficially in
                        51:38. It was also my first experience going 2 nights
                        without sleep and made a series of mistakes that cost
                        me an official finish. This was a counterclockwise
                        year, in the "hard" direction with all the good roads
                        going uphill. I had run Western States 2 weeks
                        earlier, and due to the travel across NV and UT, only
                        had about 8 days of high altitude acclimation before
                        the race. I had no crew or pacer and did not put out
                        any drop bags.

                        I had planned to sleep the first night at the Ouray
                        aid station from whatever time I got there until
                        sunrise at 6:00 AM. That gave me 15 minutes on the
                        noisy, brightly lit concrete floor. In Telluride I
                        was surprised to see Joel Zucker, 2 days before he
                        died of a cerebral aneurism. He was complaining of a
                        severe migrane headache and was considering dropping,
                        but he did finish in 47:37, his best time.

                        Things started going badly at Grant-Swamp Pass while
                        it was still daylight. Ginny LaForme and I missed the
                        right turn onto the trail up to the 11,000 ft. shelf.
                        She insisted we passed it, and I insisted we didn't,
                        so we separated. She was right. I ended up
                        bushwacking up a waterfall and 45 degree slopes
                        covered with willows in a thunderstorm, losing about
                        an hour. I descended the pass in the dark with a 2 AA
                        maglite, very slowly on a strangely unfamiliar course,
                        stopping at each marker to find the next one. On the
                        Ice Lake trail, I missed the turnoff to the waterfall
                        crossing, bushwacking down a horribly steep slope
                        covered with deadfall and undergrowth, guided only by
                        the sound of the waterfall in complete darkness.
                        After the KT aid station (about 11 PM) I went 1/4 mile
                        past the Mineral Creek crossing on the jeep road, and
                        a volunteer ran after me to get me back on course.

                        A week earlier I had hiked the last section from KT to
                        Silverton. So why was it now that I didn't recognize
                        any part of the course? I knew it was the right way
                        because there were markers, but I sure didn't
                        recognize any of it. But once I reached the open
                        tundra fields near 13,000 ft at about 2 AM, there were
                        no more markers. Maybe they were blown down in the
                        storm, or pulled out by elk, or never placed because
                        of snow when the area was marked a week ago. But I
                        had a clear view of the surrounding terrain under a
                        full moon and clear skies. I got out my map, but
                        couldn't make sense of it. I spent 3 hours wandering
                        in circles, climbing hills for a better view, or
                        wandering over to the edge of cliffs to find
                        identifiable landmarks that would locate me on the
                        map. There was a large ridge to the east, perhaps
                        several miles away, but I couldn't match it with any
                        feature on the map. I had no idea it was the
                        Porcupine-Putnam ridge we were supposed to climb over,
                        less than a mile away.

                        I was alone, and it was 3 hours before the next
                        runner, Fred Vance caught up. He had finished Barkley
                        and would be running Badwater in 4 days (he would
                        finish), but here he had mild pulmonary edema and was
                        climbing very slowly at 13,000 ft. We found our way
                        as the sky got light. It was already after 6 AM when
                        we reached the Putnam aid station (present only in CCW
                        years) with 5 miles to go. Even though it was over,
                        we took the Nute Chute instead of the road, and
                        finished together at 9:38:34 AM after the awards had
                        already started.

                        I had not anticipated how sleep deprivation affects
                        your ability to think clearly with regard to
                        navigation and decision making. I wasn't even sleepy
                        on the second night - I was mad that I was lost. It
                        was only after the race that it hit me. I would close
                        my eyes while standing and fall asleep in 1 second,
                        only to awaken as I started to fall. I took an 8 hour
                        nap and slept 10 more hours that night in my tent.

                        In 1999 I took the unusual step of arranging for a
                        pacer for the last part of the course from Cunningham.
                        It turned out he couldn't keep up on the descent, and
                        I finished in 42:39 on 3 minutes sleep on the second
                        afternoon. I had better altitude acclimation that
                        year. In 2000 I had no pacer, but was careful to stay
                        with other runners during the night, and finished in
                        42:17. This year I finished in 45:00:03. I ran
                        really hard through town, trying to break 45 hours,
                        but I guess it could be worse.

                        =====

                        http://phonecard.yahoo.com/