Re: HardRock100 story (looooong)

  • Steve Pero
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 28 7:35 AM
      Good story Joe....brought back many memories, especially the fact
      that I wasn't far behind you, so shared many of the same experiences.
      Not having a pacer through the final three miles really slowed me
      down though and as long as I didn't see any lights behind me, didn't
      feel the need to move faster ;-)

      One thing in your story triggered a memory that I had only shared
      with Deb....
      While you were running down the road into Arrastra, you saw a dark
      figure on the road.
      Well, I also saw a dark figure, but even though it was very dark out,
      I could somewhat make it out. When I first came running down the
      road, my light caught the green eyes looking back at me and as I got
      closer to it, the "labrador retriever" size animal lept very cat like
      into the woods on the right. With one hop, it must've jumped ten feet
      up! (No, I was not hallucinating)

      Does anyone know what this could have been? Have there been any
      mountain lion sightings that close to Silverton?
      All I know is it scared the heck out of me and I cautiously moved a
      little quicker down the road, shining my light behind from time to
      time.

      see you all next year!
      Steve Pero
      ultrastevep@...
    • RLAFORME@LA-TIERRA.com
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 28 8:11 AM
        Steve

        My daughter, Celeste, who was pacing Reinhold Baues to the finish, also
        reported seeing "glowing cat eyes" on that section. Really got her going
        too.
        Ginny
      • robert boeder
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 28 5:37 PM
          That was John Cappis looking for cheaters.

          At 02:35 PM 7/28/2001 -0000, you wrote:
          >Good story Joe....brought back many memories, especially the fact
          >that I wasn't far behind you, so shared many of the same experiences.
          >Not having a pacer through the final three miles really slowed me
          >down though and as long as I didn't see any lights behind me, didn't
          >feel the need to move faster ;-)
          >
          >One thing in your story triggered a memory that I had only shared
          >with Deb....
          >While you were running down the road into Arrastra, you saw a dark
          >figure on the road.
          >Well, I also saw a dark figure, but even though it was very dark out,
          >I could somewhat make it out. When I first came running down the
          >road, my light caught the green eyes looking back at me and as I got
          >closer to it, the "labrador retriever" size animal lept very cat like
          >into the woods on the right. With one hop, it must've jumped ten feet
          >up! (No, I was not hallucinating)
          >
          >Does anyone know what this could have been? Have there been any
          >mountain lion sightings that close to Silverton?
          >All I know is it scared the heck out of me and I cautiously moved a
          >little quicker down the road, shining my light behind from time to
          >time.
          >
          >see you all next year!
          >Steve Pero
          >ultrastevep@...

        • Stevan Pattillo
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 30 7:19 AM
            Ginny, You can tell that Celeste has an artistic backgrpund. While I was
            seeing Suburban seats she was seeing glowing cat eyes. I'm impressed!
            How are you doing?
            I'm finallt over my sinus infect and will get back to exercising today.
            Steve
          • Stevan Pattillo
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 30 7:35 AM
              Steve & Joe, could this be the mythic "Laborador Tabby" that is mentioned
              so seldom in San Juan history?
              Steve
            • Steve Pero
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 30 11:30 AM
                Steve...

                What is the story of this "Labrador Tabby"? ...or did we just create
                it? All I know is that I saw some creature and I think it was in the
                process of eating something on Arrastra road when I disturbed it's
                feast. It leapt into the woods to the right and then I cautiously
                walked downhill, shining my light into the darkness behind to be sure
                I wasn't being followed. I was a bit scared to say the least...

                Steve Pero
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 30 12:12 PM
                  Steve Pero,
                  I don't know of any historical "beasts" in the San Juans. I do agree with
                  Joe about the 'ninety miles stupid" part. My imagination is furtile enough
                  without anybody suggesting anything and really setting me off. In '98 my
                  wife/pacer and I were wandering down the road from the Uncompahgre river
                  crossing toward Ouray and encountered a spitting over-pressiure valve on
                  the water line. I was certain that it was a bear. Throw in fourty-plus
                  hours on my feet and a room temperature IQ and I'm off in the ozone.
                  It does seem odd that you all had similar 'visions" I'd contact the Vatican.
                  Steve Pattillo
                • Eric Robinson
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 30 12:36 PM
                    Not sure, but in Strawberry Canyon here on the UC Berkeley
                    campus, the last sighting of a mountain lion by a utility
                    linesman turned out, upon investigation, to be a golden
                    retriever...

                    --- Steve Pero <ultrastevep@...> wrote:
                    > Steve...
                    >
                    > What is the story of this "Labrador Tabby"? ...or did we
                    > just create
                    > it? All I know is that I saw some creature and I think it
                    > was in the
                    > process of eating something on Arrastra road when I
                    > disturbed it's
                    > feast. It leapt into the woods to the right and then I
                    > cautiously
                    > walked downhill, shining my light into the darkness behind
                    > to be sure
                    > I wasn't being followed. I was a bit scared to say the
                    > least...
                    >
                    > Steve Pero
                    > Steve & Joe, could this be the mythic "Laborador Tabby"
                    > that is
                    > mentioned
                    > so seldom in San Juan history?
                    > Steve

                    > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                    http://phonecard.yahoo.com/
                  • dunnrd
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 31 10:15 PM

                      Here's some of the story:
                      I came to Hardrock with the modest goal of finishing within the 48-hour
                      cutoff, which I would guess is the minimal goal for anyone entered. (I
                      actually hoped to finish in the 40 - 42 hour range because I was running
                      without a pacer, and was very uncertain about how I would be able to handle
                      staying awake the second night.) I felt confident that my training and
                      preparation could support this goal. The first part of the run went pretty
                      much as I expected that it would - I was real slow on the steep uphills, but
                      was able to make up the time on the downhills. I had to deal with some
                      problems that I had hoped that I could avoid (e.g., having extreme
                      difficulty eating or keeping anything down from Ouray to the finish), but
                      these problems were no different than what many other runners were dealing
                      with.
                      I was on track for finishing under the cutoff until I went through the
                      Maggie-Cunningham section on Sunday night. I got caught up in some personal
                      mind games that went something like this:
                      "Gee, it seems like there hasn't been a course marker for a while. Did I
                      follow the course correctly at the last junction, or am I off course? If
                      I'm off course and keep going, I have no chance of finishing. On the other
                      hand, if I backtrack to the last marker and make sure that I'm on course, I
                      still have a shot at making it." At this point, I would backtrack to a
                      previous junction and course marker only to find out that I had been going
                      correctly. (I want to emphasize that the course was adequately marked - I
                      made the decision to backtrack because of my uncertainty about my
                      alertness.) The first time that I did this, Rollin and Jim came by and
                      invited me to join them, which I gladly did. I managed to stay with them
                      for most of the ascent, but could not keep up (I'm a slow climber) as we
                      approached the top. I went through my little mind game twice on the descent.
                      I finally got to the Cunningham aid station after more than 4 hours
                      (significantly longer than nearly every other runner) from leaving the
                      Maggie aid station. I went through the Cunningham aid station at about 1:00
                      a.m. Sunday morning and started the long (slow) climb. When I got to the
                      descent toward Silverton, I picked up the pace to a jog which got faster and
                      faster as it became more apparent that time was running out. When I crossed
                      the bridge into Silverton, I knew that my odds of finishing under 48 hours
                      were slim. I took off my waist pack and ditched it behind a bush so that I
                      wouldn't be carrying the weight. There were a few spectators doing
                      everything they could for me - giving encouragement, trying to keep me
                      posted on time remaining, making sure that I had a clear and open course to
                      the finish. When I hit Greene Street, I went into a full sprint. As I neared
                      the school, I saw that the time had already passed 48 hours. The official
                      time for my unofficial finish was 48:01:11.
                      I would be lying if I said that there wasn't some disappointment in missing
                      the cutoff - after all, that was the target that I had been focused on for
                      the entire run. But the disappointment was completely dwarfed by the
                      experience that I had just gone through. I had spent two full days and
                      nights in some of the most beautiful mountains in the world. I had spent
                      time running, hiking and talking with many wonderful people. I had been
                      encouraged and assisted by numerous wonderful people at every aid station. I
                      had spent many hours in solitude. I was fortunate to avoid problems severe
                      enough to force me to drop out. And I had completed the course on my own
                      terms. I had taken every step, I didn't give up on my goal even when it
                      became apparent that it was slipping away, and every decision during the run
                      was made in real-time to the best of my ability to get me safely to the
                      finish. I owned all of those decisions, I completed the course, and it was
                      personally the most satisfying and rewarding run that I have ever
                      participated in. All of the good things about my run completely overshadowed
                      the 71 seconds and the few missteps that I made in executing the run.
                      I didn't get my diploma, but I got a great education.

                      Congratulations to all Hardrock runners.

                      p.s. If anyone is interested in putting a face with my name, go to Ulli
                      Kamm's picture on Virginius Pass.
                      http://www.ultrawalk.com/Hardrock/Photos%20HR%202001.htm
                      I'm on the left. Also pictured are Kevin Taverner, Ulli Kamm, and Susan
                      Gardner.

                      Randy Dunn
                      dunnrd@...
                    • GRoachHigh@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 31 10:46 PM
                        For Randy Dunn

                        Congratulations, Randy. How I wish I could have been right behind you. ANY
                        finish at Hardrock is commendable. Last year, my time was 49:15. I was
                        unofficial but I was very happy, nonetheless. This year, I was a DNF and I
                        have been regretting it ever since I consented to letting them cut my wrist
                        band at Grouse.

                        Jennifer Roach
                        Boulder, CO.
                        Message 11 of 14 , Aug 1, 2001
                          --- dunnrd <dunnrd@...> wrote:
                          > I was on track for finishing under the cutoff until
                          > I went through the
                          > Maggie-Cunningham section on Sunday night. I got
                          > caught up in some personal
                          > mind games that went something like this:
                          > "Gee, it seems like there hasn't been a course
                          > marker for a while. Did I
                          > follow the course correctly at the last junction, or
                          > am I off course?

                          Sounds familiar. In 1998 I finished unofficially in
                          51:38. It was also my first experience going 2 nights
                          without sleep and made a series of mistakes that cost
                          me an official finish. This was a counterclockwise
                          year, in the "hard" direction with all the good roads
                          going uphill. I had run Western States 2 weeks
                          earlier, and due to the travel across NV and UT, only
                          had about 8 days of high altitude acclimation before
                          the race. I had no crew or pacer and did not put out
                          any drop bags.

                          I had planned to sleep the first night at the Ouray
                          aid station from whatever time I got there until
                          sunrise at 6:00 AM. That gave me 15 minutes on the
                          noisy, brightly lit concrete floor. In Telluride I
                          was surprised to see Joel Zucker, 2 days before he
                          died of a cerebral aneurism. He was complaining of a
                          severe migrane headache and was considering dropping,
                          but he did finish in 47:37, his best time.

                          Things started going badly at Grant-Swamp Pass while
                          it was still daylight. Ginny LaForme and I missed the
                          right turn onto the trail up to the 11,000 ft. shelf.
                          She insisted we passed it, and I insisted we didn't,
                          so we separated. She was right. I ended up
                          bushwacking up a waterfall and 45 degree slopes
                          covered with willows in a thunderstorm, losing about
                          an hour. I descended the pass in the dark with a 2 AA
                          maglite, very slowly on a strangely unfamiliar course,
                          stopping at each marker to find the next one. On the
                          Ice Lake trail, I missed the turnoff to the waterfall
                          crossing, bushwacking down a horribly steep slope
                          covered with deadfall and undergrowth, guided only by
                          the sound of the waterfall in complete darkness.
                          After the KT aid station (about 11 PM) I went 1/4 mile
                          past the Mineral Creek crossing on the jeep road, and
                          a volunteer ran after me to get me back on course.

                          A week earlier I had hiked the last section from KT to
                          Silverton. So why was it now that I didn't recognize
                          any part of the course? I knew it was the right way
                          because there were markers, but I sure didn't
                          recognize any of it. But once I reached the open
                          tundra fields near 13,000 ft at about 2 AM, there were
                          no more markers. Maybe they were blown down in the
                          storm, or pulled out by elk, or never placed because
                          of snow when the area was marked a week ago. But I
                          had a clear view of the surrounding terrain under a
                          full moon and clear skies. I got out my map, but
                          couldn't make sense of it. I spent 3 hours wandering
                          in circles, climbing hills for a better view, or
                          wandering over to the edge of cliffs to find
                          identifiable landmarks that would locate me on the
                          map. There was a large ridge to the east, perhaps
                          several miles away, but I couldn't match it with any
                          feature on the map. I had no idea it was the
                          Porcupine-Putnam ridge we were supposed to climb over,
                          less than a mile away.

                          I was alone, and it was 3 hours before the next
                          runner, Fred Vance caught up. He had finished Barkley
                          and would be running Badwater in 4 days (he would
                          finish), but here he had mild pulmonary edema and was
                          climbing very slowly at 13,000 ft. We found our way
                          as the sky got light. It was already after 6 AM when
                          we reached the Putnam aid station (present only in CCW
                          years) with 5 miles to go. Even though it was over,
                          we took the Nute Chute instead of the road, and
                          finished together at 9:38:34 AM after the awards had
                          already started.

                          I had not anticipated how sleep deprivation affects
                          your ability to think clearly with regard to
                          navigation and decision making. I wasn't even sleepy
                          on the second night - I was mad that I was lost. It
                          was only after the race that it hit me. I would close
                          my eyes while standing and fall asleep in 1 second,
                          only to awaken as I started to fall. I took an 8 hour
                          nap and slept 10 more hours that night in my tent.

                          In 1999 I took the unusual step of arranging for a
                          pacer for the last part of the course from Cunningham.
                          It turned out he couldn't keep up on the descent, and
                          I finished in 42:39 on 3 minutes sleep on the second
                          afternoon. I had better altitude acclimation that
                          year. In 2000 I had no pacer, but was careful to stay
                          with other runners during the night, and finished in
                          42:17. This year I finished in 45:00:03. I ran
                          really hard through town, trying to break 45 hours,
                          but I guess it could be worse.

                          =====

                          http://phonecard.yahoo.com/