Re: [hr100] HardRock100 story (looooong)

  • California Sports Marketing Inc. Dan Bar
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 27, 2001
      Trying to get a hold of dale.
      Does anyone have a phone number and worse case an e mail
      Dan Barger
      Currently in Colorado.

      California Sports Marketing Inc.
      http://www.csmevents.com/advrace.html
      http://www.csmevents.com
    • Feucht, Andrea L.
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 27, 2001
        65 48:01:11 Randall Dunn

        So.... tell me a story about this guy. What happened? I was there when
        Rollin and Jim finished, but at the time Dale said that no one else was
        coming down the mountain.

        Anyone know?

        Andrea, in ABQ
        alf@... <mailto:alf@...>
        http://tenacity.net <http://tenacity.net/>

      • Steve Pero
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 28, 2001
          Good story Joe....brought back many memories, especially the fact
          that I wasn't far behind you, so shared many of the same experiences.
          Not having a pacer through the final three miles really slowed me
          down though and as long as I didn't see any lights behind me, didn't
          feel the need to move faster ;-)

          One thing in your story triggered a memory that I had only shared
          with Deb....
          While you were running down the road into Arrastra, you saw a dark
          figure on the road.
          Well, I also saw a dark figure, but even though it was very dark out,
          I could somewhat make it out. When I first came running down the
          road, my light caught the green eyes looking back at me and as I got
          closer to it, the "labrador retriever" size animal lept very cat like
          into the woods on the right. With one hop, it must've jumped ten feet
          up! (No, I was not hallucinating)

          Does anyone know what this could have been? Have there been any
          mountain lion sightings that close to Silverton?
          All I know is it scared the heck out of me and I cautiously moved a
          little quicker down the road, shining my light behind from time to
          time.

          see you all next year!
          Steve Pero
          ultrastevep@...
        • RLAFORME@LA-TIERRA.com
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 28, 2001
            Steve

            My daughter, Celeste, who was pacing Reinhold Baues to the finish, also
            reported seeing "glowing cat eyes" on that section. Really got her going
            too.
            Ginny
          • robert boeder
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 28, 2001
              That was John Cappis looking for cheaters.

              At 02:35 PM 7/28/2001 -0000, you wrote:
              >Good story Joe....brought back many memories, especially the fact
              >that I wasn't far behind you, so shared many of the same experiences.
              >Not having a pacer through the final three miles really slowed me
              >down though and as long as I didn't see any lights behind me, didn't
              >feel the need to move faster ;-)
              >
              >One thing in your story triggered a memory that I had only shared
              >with Deb....
              >While you were running down the road into Arrastra, you saw a dark
              >figure on the road.
              >Well, I also saw a dark figure, but even though it was very dark out,
              >I could somewhat make it out. When I first came running down the
              >road, my light caught the green eyes looking back at me and as I got
              >closer to it, the "labrador retriever" size animal lept very cat like
              >into the woods on the right. With one hop, it must've jumped ten feet
              >up! (No, I was not hallucinating)
              >
              >Does anyone know what this could have been? Have there been any
              >mountain lion sightings that close to Silverton?
              >All I know is it scared the heck out of me and I cautiously moved a
              >little quicker down the road, shining my light behind from time to
              >time.
              >
              >see you all next year!
              >Steve Pero
              >ultrastevep@...

            • Stevan Pattillo
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 30, 2001
                Ginny, You can tell that Celeste has an artistic backgrpund. While I was
                seeing Suburban seats she was seeing glowing cat eyes. I'm impressed!
                How are you doing?
                I'm finallt over my sinus infect and will get back to exercising today.
                Steve
              • Stevan Pattillo
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 30, 2001
                  Steve & Joe, could this be the mythic "Laborador Tabby" that is mentioned
                  so seldom in San Juan history?
                  Steve
                • Steve Pero
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 30, 2001
                    Steve...

                    What is the story of this "Labrador Tabby"? ...or did we just create
                    it? All I know is that I saw some creature and I think it was in the
                    process of eating something on Arrastra road when I disturbed it's
                    feast. It leapt into the woods to the right and then I cautiously
                    walked downhill, shining my light into the darkness behind to be sure
                    I wasn't being followed. I was a bit scared to say the least...

                    Steve Pero
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 30, 2001
                      Steve Pero,
                      I don't know of any historical "beasts" in the San Juans. I do agree with
                      Joe about the 'ninety miles stupid" part. My imagination is furtile enough
                      without anybody suggesting anything and really setting me off. In '98 my
                      wife/pacer and I were wandering down the road from the Uncompahgre river
                      crossing toward Ouray and encountered a spitting over-pressiure valve on
                      the water line. I was certain that it was a bear. Throw in fourty-plus
                      hours on my feet and a room temperature IQ and I'm off in the ozone.
                      It does seem odd that you all had similar 'visions" I'd contact the Vatican.
                      Steve Pattillo
                    • Eric Robinson
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 30, 2001
                        Not sure, but in Strawberry Canyon here on the UC Berkeley
                        campus, the last sighting of a mountain lion by a utility
                        linesman turned out, upon investigation, to be a golden
                        retriever...

                        --- Steve Pero <ultrastevep@...> wrote:
                        > Steve...
                        >
                        > What is the story of this "Labrador Tabby"? ...or did we
                        > just create
                        > it? All I know is that I saw some creature and I think it
                        > was in the
                        > process of eating something on Arrastra road when I
                        > disturbed it's
                        > feast. It leapt into the woods to the right and then I
                        > cautiously
                        > walked downhill, shining my light into the darkness behind
                        > to be sure
                        > I wasn't being followed. I was a bit scared to say the
                        > least...
                        >
                        > Steve Pero
                        > Steve & Joe, could this be the mythic "Laborador Tabby"
                        > that is
                        > mentioned
                        > so seldom in San Juan history?
                        > Steve

                        > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                        http://phonecard.yahoo.com/
                      • dunnrd
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jul 31, 2001

                          Here's some of the story:
                          I came to Hardrock with the modest goal of finishing within the 48-hour
                          cutoff, which I would guess is the minimal goal for anyone entered. (I
                          actually hoped to finish in the 40 - 42 hour range because I was running
                          without a pacer, and was very uncertain about how I would be able to handle
                          staying awake the second night.) I felt confident that my training and
                          preparation could support this goal. The first part of the run went pretty
                          much as I expected that it would - I was real slow on the steep uphills, but
                          was able to make up the time on the downhills. I had to deal with some
                          problems that I had hoped that I could avoid (e.g., having extreme
                          difficulty eating or keeping anything down from Ouray to the finish), but
                          these problems were no different than what many other runners were dealing
                          with.
                          I was on track for finishing under the cutoff until I went through the
                          Maggie-Cunningham section on Sunday night. I got caught up in some personal
                          mind games that went something like this:
                          "Gee, it seems like there hasn't been a course marker for a while. Did I
                          follow the course correctly at the last junction, or am I off course? If
                          I'm off course and keep going, I have no chance of finishing. On the other
                          hand, if I backtrack to the last marker and make sure that I'm on course, I
                          still have a shot at making it." At this point, I would backtrack to a
                          previous junction and course marker only to find out that I had been going
                          correctly. (I want to emphasize that the course was adequately marked - I
                          made the decision to backtrack because of my uncertainty about my
                          alertness.) The first time that I did this, Rollin and Jim came by and
                          invited me to join them, which I gladly did. I managed to stay with them
                          for most of the ascent, but could not keep up (I'm a slow climber) as we
                          approached the top. I went through my little mind game twice on the descent.
                          I finally got to the Cunningham aid station after more than 4 hours
                          (significantly longer than nearly every other runner) from leaving the
                          Maggie aid station. I went through the Cunningham aid station at about 1:00
                          a.m. Sunday morning and started the long (slow) climb. When I got to the
                          descent toward Silverton, I picked up the pace to a jog which got faster and
                          faster as it became more apparent that time was running out. When I crossed
                          the bridge into Silverton, I knew that my odds of finishing under 48 hours
                          were slim. I took off my waist pack and ditched it behind a bush so that I
                          wouldn't be carrying the weight. There were a few spectators doing
                          everything they could for me - giving encouragement, trying to keep me
                          posted on time remaining, making sure that I had a clear and open course to
                          the finish. When I hit Greene Street, I went into a full sprint. As I neared
                          the school, I saw that the time had already passed 48 hours. The official
                          time for my unofficial finish was 48:01:11.
                          I would be lying if I said that there wasn't some disappointment in missing
                          the cutoff - after all, that was the target that I had been focused on for
                          the entire run. But the disappointment was completely dwarfed by the
                          experience that I had just gone through. I had spent two full days and
                          nights in some of the most beautiful mountains in the world. I had spent
                          time running, hiking and talking with many wonderful people. I had been
                          encouraged and assisted by numerous wonderful people at every aid station. I
                          had spent many hours in solitude. I was fortunate to avoid problems severe
                          enough to force me to drop out. And I had completed the course on my own
                          terms. I had taken every step, I didn't give up on my goal even when it
                          became apparent that it was slipping away, and every decision during the run
                          was made in real-time to the best of my ability to get me safely to the
                          finish. I owned all of those decisions, I completed the course, and it was
                          personally the most satisfying and rewarding run that I have ever
                          participated in. All of the good things about my run completely overshadowed
                          the 71 seconds and the few missteps that I made in executing the run.
                          I didn't get my diploma, but I got a great education.

                          Congratulations to all Hardrock runners.

                          p.s. If anyone is interested in putting a face with my name, go to Ulli
                          Kamm's picture on Virginius Pass.
                          http://www.ultrawalk.com/Hardrock/Photos%20HR%202001.htm
                          I'm on the left. Also pictured are Kevin Taverner, Ulli Kamm, and Susan
                          Gardner.

                          Randy Dunn
                          dunnrd@...
                        • GRoachHigh@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jul 31, 2001
                            For Randy Dunn

                            Congratulations, Randy. How I wish I could have been right behind you. ANY
                            finish at Hardrock is commendable. Last year, my time was 49:15. I was
                            unofficial but I was very happy, nonetheless. This year, I was a DNF and I
                            have been regretting it ever since I consented to letting them cut my wrist
                            band at Grouse.

                            Jennifer Roach
                            Boulder, CO.
                            Message 13 of 14 , Aug 1, 2001
                              --- dunnrd <dunnrd@...> wrote:
                              > I was on track for finishing under the cutoff until
                              > I went through the
                              > Maggie-Cunningham section on Sunday night. I got
                              > caught up in some personal
                              > mind games that went something like this:
                              > "Gee, it seems like there hasn't been a course
                              > marker for a while. Did I
                              > follow the course correctly at the last junction, or
                              > am I off course?

                              Sounds familiar. In 1998 I finished unofficially in
                              51:38. It was also my first experience going 2 nights
                              without sleep and made a series of mistakes that cost
                              me an official finish. This was a counterclockwise
                              year, in the "hard" direction with all the good roads
                              going uphill. I had run Western States 2 weeks
                              earlier, and due to the travel across NV and UT, only
                              had about 8 days of high altitude acclimation before
                              the race. I had no crew or pacer and did not put out
                              any drop bags.

                              I had planned to sleep the first night at the Ouray
                              aid station from whatever time I got there until
                              sunrise at 6:00 AM. That gave me 15 minutes on the
                              noisy, brightly lit concrete floor. In Telluride I
                              was surprised to see Joel Zucker, 2 days before he
                              died of a cerebral aneurism. He was complaining of a
                              severe migrane headache and was considering dropping,
                              but he did finish in 47:37, his best time.

                              Things started going badly at Grant-Swamp Pass while
                              it was still daylight. Ginny LaForme and I missed the
                              right turn onto the trail up to the 11,000 ft. shelf.
                              She insisted we passed it, and I insisted we didn't,
                              so we separated. She was right. I ended up
                              bushwacking up a waterfall and 45 degree slopes
                              covered with willows in a thunderstorm, losing about
                              an hour. I descended the pass in the dark with a 2 AA
                              maglite, very slowly on a strangely unfamiliar course,
                              stopping at each marker to find the next one. On the
                              Ice Lake trail, I missed the turnoff to the waterfall
                              crossing, bushwacking down a horribly steep slope
                              covered with deadfall and undergrowth, guided only by
                              the sound of the waterfall in complete darkness.
                              After the KT aid station (about 11 PM) I went 1/4 mile
                              past the Mineral Creek crossing on the jeep road, and
                              a volunteer ran after me to get me back on course.

                              A week earlier I had hiked the last section from KT to
                              Silverton. So why was it now that I didn't recognize
                              any part of the course? I knew it was the right way
                              because there were markers, but I sure didn't
                              recognize any of it. But once I reached the open
                              tundra fields near 13,000 ft at about 2 AM, there were
                              no more markers. Maybe they were blown down in the
                              storm, or pulled out by elk, or never placed because
                              of snow when the area was marked a week ago. But I
                              had a clear view of the surrounding terrain under a
                              full moon and clear skies. I got out my map, but
                              couldn't make sense of it. I spent 3 hours wandering
                              in circles, climbing hills for a better view, or
                              wandering over to the edge of cliffs to find
                              identifiable landmarks that would locate me on the
                              map. There was a large ridge to the east, perhaps
                              several miles away, but I couldn't match it with any
                              feature on the map. I had no idea it was the
                              Porcupine-Putnam ridge we were supposed to climb over,
                              less than a mile away.

                              I was alone, and it was 3 hours before the next
                              runner, Fred Vance caught up. He had finished Barkley
                              and would be running Badwater in 4 days (he would
                              finish), but here he had mild pulmonary edema and was
                              climbing very slowly at 13,000 ft. We found our way
                              as the sky got light. It was already after 6 AM when
                              we reached the Putnam aid station (present only in CCW
                              years) with 5 miles to go. Even though it was over,
                              we took the Nute Chute instead of the road, and
                              finished together at 9:38:34 AM after the awards had
                              already started.

                              I had not anticipated how sleep deprivation affects
                              your ability to think clearly with regard to
                              navigation and decision making. I wasn't even sleepy
                              on the second night - I was mad that I was lost. It
                              was only after the race that it hit me. I would close
                              my eyes while standing and fall asleep in 1 second,
                              only to awaken as I started to fall. I took an 8 hour
                              nap and slept 10 more hours that night in my tent.

                              In 1999 I took the unusual step of arranging for a
                              pacer for the last part of the course from Cunningham.
                              It turned out he couldn't keep up on the descent, and
                              I finished in 42:39 on 3 minutes sleep on the second
                              afternoon. I had better altitude acclimation that
                              year. In 2000 I had no pacer, but was careful to stay
                              with other runners during the night, and finished in
                              42:17. This year I finished in 45:00:03. I ran
                              really hard through town, trying to break 45 hours,
                              but I guess it could be worse.

                              =====

                              http://phonecard.yahoo.com/