RE: [hr100] RE: [ULTRA] Ultras/media (Badwater)

  • Herr, Dennis B.
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 24, 2001
      Well said, Andrea. This is a stone that has been
      grinding my heel for a long time. This is a problem
      created in part by the fact that we have too much
      leisure on our hands and too much narcissism in our
      psyches. Ultras definitely aren't the quiet little
      off the wall episodes that they were 20 or even 10
      years ago, and it would be naive to have hoped that
      they could have remained that way. The question now,
      IMHO, is what shape do we want them to take from here.
      One thing I see happening is the emergence of small,
      minimally publicized training type runs with no fees
      collected and no aid and no awards offered. I hope to
      see more of these in the future. To me, they epitomize
      the true spirit of running in general and ultras in
      particular. We'll always have the marquee events, but
      we also need to remember from whence we came.

      Dennis Herr