RE: [hr100] Hardrock report--long

    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 23, 2001
      > How much time and money did the average hardrocker
      > spend on their:

      Race entry was $160 (I bet it will go up). Airfare
      from FL is about $400. Car rental is $150/wk. Food
      is $5/day for groceries + $10/day for eating out when
      I get tired of sandwiches. Lodging at South Mineral
      in a tent is free but I did pay $15/night at the
      Leadville Hostel when I trained there for a while.

      I teach at a university so I get summers off, and I
      spent 17 days at altitude before Hardrock. I think 2
      weeks is the minimum for a good race (i.e. finishing).
      Some people can get away without acclimating, but
      most can't. I think 2 weeks sleeping at 10,000 ft.
      and climbing to 14,000 every day can take at least 6
      hours off your time, which for a lot of people makes
      the difference between finishing and not finishing.

      I also ran the Sawyer Mt. 27 mile trail race in NM on
      July 1 and the Leadville marathon on July 7. I also
      climbed 7 14ers. This was a lot of money to spend,
      but I think it was worth it, not just for Hardrock but
      for the whole trip. I will be spending about as much
      again for Nolan's 14 on a trip Aug. 3-20.

      =====

      http://phonecard.yahoo.com/