Re: [hr100] Hardrock report--long

  • Blake P. Wood
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 23, 2001
      Todd - Nice report! Mind if I put it on the Hardrock web page? - Blake
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 23, 2001
        > How much time and money did the average hardrocker
        > spend on their:

        Race entry was $160 (I bet it will go up). Airfare
        from FL is about $400. Car rental is $150/wk. Food
        is $5/day for groceries + $10/day for eating out when
        I get tired of sandwiches. Lodging at South Mineral
        in a tent is free but I did pay $15/night at the
        Leadville Hostel when I trained there for a while.

        I teach at a university so I get summers off, and I
        spent 17 days at altitude before Hardrock. I think 2
        weeks is the minimum for a good race (i.e. finishing).
        Some people can get away without acclimating, but
        most can't. I think 2 weeks sleeping at 10,000 ft.
        and climbing to 14,000 every day can take at least 6
        hours off your time, which for a lot of people makes
        the difference between finishing and not finishing.

        I also ran the Sawyer Mt. 27 mile trail race in NM on
        July 1 and the Leadville marathon on July 7. I also
        climbed 7 14ers. This was a lot of money to spend,
        but I think it was worth it, not just for Hardrock but
        for the whole trip. I will be spending about as much
        again for Nolan's 14 on a trip Aug. 3-20.

        =====

        http://phonecard.yahoo.com/