RE: [hr100] Hardrock report--long

  • Charles T. Thorn
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 23, 2001
      Jim,

      I conduct a voluntary questionnaire that asks those questions and more
      every year after Hardrock. The average total cost per participant has been
      about $1500. The questionnaire will go out with the results package and I
      encourage everyone to respond. After the results are in for 2001, I'll
      post them to this list, categorized as you requested.

      Charlie Thorn
      Los Alamos, NM

      >Congrats to all,
      >Haven't seen the SI article yet, but I hear it is well done.
      >
      >I'm curious though.
      >
      >How much time and money did the average hardrocker spend on their:
      >Race Entry
      >Airfare
      >Lodging
      >Food
      >Car rental
      >
      >How much vacation time?
      >How many days at altitude?
      >

      >jim
      >garcia@...

    • Blake P. Wood
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 23, 2001
        Todd - Nice report! Mind if I put it on the Hardrock web page? - Blake
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 23, 2001
          > How much time and money did the average hardrocker
          > spend on their:

          Race entry was $160 (I bet it will go up). Airfare
          from FL is about $400. Car rental is $150/wk. Food
          is $5/day for groceries + $10/day for eating out when
          I get tired of sandwiches. Lodging at South Mineral
          in a tent is free but I did pay $15/night at the
          Leadville Hostel when I trained there for a while.

          I teach at a university so I get summers off, and I
          spent 17 days at altitude before Hardrock. I think 2
          weeks is the minimum for a good race (i.e. finishing).
          Some people can get away without acclimating, but
          most can't. I think 2 weeks sleeping at 10,000 ft.
          and climbing to 14,000 every day can take at least 6
          hours off your time, which for a lot of people makes
          the difference between finishing and not finishing.

          I also ran the Sawyer Mt. 27 mile trail race in NM on
          July 1 and the Leadville marathon on July 7. I also
          climbed 7 14ers. This was a lot of money to spend,
          but I think it was worth it, not just for Hardrock but
          for the whole trip. I will be spending about as much
          again for Nolan's 14 on a trip Aug. 3-20.

          =====

          http://phonecard.yahoo.com/