Re: [hr100] Hardrock report--long

  • Laura Turvey & Todd Burgess
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 23, 2001
      Jim,
      You asked:
      How much time and money did the average hardrocker spend on their:
      >Race Entry
      >Airfare
      >Lodging
      >Food
      >Car rental
      >
      >How much vacation time?
      >How many days at altitude?

      No hardrocker is average. We're all above average.
      Todd
    • Steve Pero
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 23, 2001
        Couldn't tell ya'....don't care because it was all worth it, whatever
        it was. I'll be spending all of that again next year.

        Steve Pero
        ultrastevep@...

        --- In hr100@y..., "Jim Garcia" <garcia@l...> wrote:
        > Congrats to all,
        > Haven't seen the SI article yet, but I hear it is well done.
        >
        > I'm curious though.
        >
        > How much time and money did the average hardrocker spend on their:
        > Race Entry
        > Airfare
        > Lodging
        > Food
        > Car rental
        >
        > How much vacation time?
        > How many days at altitude?
        >

        > jim
        > garcia@l...
      • Charles T. Thorn
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 23, 2001
          Jim,

          I conduct a voluntary questionnaire that asks those questions and more
          every year after Hardrock. The average total cost per participant has been
          about $1500. The questionnaire will go out with the results package and I
          encourage everyone to respond. After the results are in for 2001, I'll
          post them to this list, categorized as you requested.

          Charlie Thorn
          Los Alamos, NM

          >Congrats to all,
          >Haven't seen the SI article yet, but I hear it is well done.
          >
          >I'm curious though.
          >
          >How much time and money did the average hardrocker spend on their:
          >Race Entry
          >Airfare
          >Lodging
          >Food
          >Car rental
          >
          >How much vacation time?
          >How many days at altitude?
          >

          >jim
          >garcia@...

        • Blake P. Wood
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 23, 2001
            Todd - Nice report! Mind if I put it on the Hardrock web page? - Blake
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 23, 2001
              > How much time and money did the average hardrocker
              > spend on their:

              Race entry was $160 (I bet it will go up). Airfare
              from FL is about $400. Car rental is $150/wk. Food
              is $5/day for groceries + $10/day for eating out when
              I get tired of sandwiches. Lodging at South Mineral
              in a tent is free but I did pay $15/night at the
              Leadville Hostel when I trained there for a while.

              I teach at a university so I get summers off, and I
              spent 17 days at altitude before Hardrock. I think 2
              weeks is the minimum for a good race (i.e. finishing).
              Some people can get away without acclimating, but
              most can't. I think 2 weeks sleeping at 10,000 ft.
              and climbing to 14,000 every day can take at least 6
              hours off your time, which for a lot of people makes
              the difference between finishing and not finishing.

              I also ran the Sawyer Mt. 27 mile trail race in NM on
              July 1 and the Leadville marathon on July 7. I also
              climbed 7 14ers. This was a lot of money to spend,
              but I think it was worth it, not just for Hardrock but
              for the whole trip. I will be spending about as much
              again for Nolan's 14 on a trip Aug. 3-20.

              =====

              http://phonecard.yahoo.com/