Re: [hr100] Hardrock report--long

  • LaForme
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 23, 2001
      Uh, oh, Jim,

      Is it possible that you're starting to nibble at the hook ?

      Ginny LaForme
      Espanola,NM
      rlaforme@...
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 23, 2001
        Jim,
        You asked:
        How much time and money did the average hardrocker spend on their:
        >Race Entry
        >Airfare
        >Lodging
        >Food
        >Car rental
        >
        >How much vacation time?
        >How many days at altitude?

        No hardrocker is average. We're all above average.
        Todd
      • Steve Pero
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 23, 2001
          Couldn't tell ya'....don't care because it was all worth it, whatever
          it was. I'll be spending all of that again next year.

          Steve Pero
          ultrastevep@...

          --- In hr100@y..., "Jim Garcia" <garcia@l...> wrote:
          > Congrats to all,
          > Haven't seen the SI article yet, but I hear it is well done.
          >
          > I'm curious though.
          >
          > How much time and money did the average hardrocker spend on their:
          > Race Entry
          > Airfare
          > Lodging
          > Food
          > Car rental
          >
          > How much vacation time?
          > How many days at altitude?
          >

          > jim
          > garcia@l...
        • Charles T. Thorn
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 23, 2001
            Jim,

            I conduct a voluntary questionnaire that asks those questions and more
            every year after Hardrock. The average total cost per participant has been
            about $1500. The questionnaire will go out with the results package and I
            encourage everyone to respond. After the results are in for 2001, I'll
            post them to this list, categorized as you requested.

            Charlie Thorn
            Los Alamos, NM

            >Congrats to all,
            >Haven't seen the SI article yet, but I hear it is well done.
            >
            >I'm curious though.
            >
            >How much time and money did the average hardrocker spend on their:
            >Race Entry
            >Airfare
            >Lodging
            >Food
            >Car rental
            >
            >How much vacation time?
            >How many days at altitude?
            >

            >jim
            >garcia@...

          • Blake P. Wood
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 23, 2001
              Todd - Nice report! Mind if I put it on the Hardrock web page? - Blake
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 23, 2001
                > How much time and money did the average hardrocker
                > spend on their:

                Race entry was $160 (I bet it will go up). Airfare
                from FL is about $400. Car rental is $150/wk. Food
                is $5/day for groceries + $10/day for eating out when
                I get tired of sandwiches. Lodging at South Mineral
                in a tent is free but I did pay $15/night at the
                Leadville Hostel when I trained there for a while.

                I teach at a university so I get summers off, and I
                spent 17 days at altitude before Hardrock. I think 2
                weeks is the minimum for a good race (i.e. finishing).
                Some people can get away without acclimating, but
                most can't. I think 2 weeks sleeping at 10,000 ft.
                and climbing to 14,000 every day can take at least 6
                hours off your time, which for a lot of people makes
                the difference between finishing and not finishing.

                I also ran the Sawyer Mt. 27 mile trail race in NM on
                July 1 and the Leadville marathon on July 7. I also
                climbed 7 14ers. This was a lot of money to spend,
                but I think it was worth it, not just for Hardrock but
                for the whole trip. I will be spending about as much
                again for Nolan's 14 on a trip Aug. 3-20.

                =====

                http://phonecard.yahoo.com/