RE: [hr100] Hardrock report--long

  • Jim Garcia
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 23, 2001
      Congrats to all,
      Haven't seen the SI article yet, but I hear it is well done.

      I'm curious though.

      How much time and money did the average hardrocker spend on their:
      Race Entry
      Airfare
      Lodging
      Food
      Car rental

      How much vacation time?
      How many days at altitude?

      jim
      garcia@...
    • LaForme
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 23, 2001
        Uh, oh, Jim,

        Is it possible that you're starting to nibble at the hook ?

        Ginny LaForme
        Espanola,NM
        rlaforme@...
        > Haven't seen the SI article yet, but I hear it is well done.
        >
        > I'm curious though.
        >
        > How much time and money did the average hardrocker spend on their:
        > Race Entry
        > Airfare
        > Lodging
        > Food
        > Car rental
        >
        > How much vacation time?
        > How many days at altitude?
        >

        > jim
        > garcia@...

      • Laura Turvey & Todd Burgess
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 23, 2001
          Jim,
          You asked:
          How much time and money did the average hardrocker spend on their:
          >Race Entry
          >Airfare
          >Lodging
          >Food
          >Car rental
          >
          >How much vacation time?
          >How many days at altitude?

          No hardrocker is average. We're all above average.
          Todd
        • Steve Pero
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 23, 2001
            Couldn't tell ya'....don't care because it was all worth it, whatever
            it was. I'll be spending all of that again next year.

            Steve Pero
            ultrastevep@...

            --- In hr100@y..., "Jim Garcia" <garcia@l...> wrote:
            > Congrats to all,
            > Haven't seen the SI article yet, but I hear it is well done.
            >
            > I'm curious though.
            >
            > How much time and money did the average hardrocker spend on their:
            > Race Entry
            > Airfare
            > Lodging
            > Food
            > Car rental
            >
            > How much vacation time?
            > How many days at altitude?
            >

            > jim
            > garcia@l...
          • Charles T. Thorn
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 23, 2001
              Jim,

              I conduct a voluntary questionnaire that asks those questions and more
              every year after Hardrock. The average total cost per participant has been
              about $1500. The questionnaire will go out with the results package and I
              encourage everyone to respond. After the results are in for 2001, I'll
              post them to this list, categorized as you requested.

              Charlie Thorn
              Los Alamos, NM

              >Congrats to all,
              >Haven't seen the SI article yet, but I hear it is well done.
              >
              >I'm curious though.
              >
              >How much time and money did the average hardrocker spend on their:
              >Race Entry
              >Airfare
              >Lodging
              >Food
              >Car rental
              >
              >How much vacation time?
              >How many days at altitude?
              >

              >jim
              >garcia@...

            • Blake P. Wood
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 23, 2001
                Todd - Nice report! Mind if I put it on the Hardrock web page? - Blake
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 23, 2001
                  > How much time and money did the average hardrocker
                  > spend on their:

                  Race entry was $160 (I bet it will go up). Airfare
                  from FL is about $400. Car rental is $150/wk. Food
                  is $5/day for groceries + $10/day for eating out when
                  I get tired of sandwiches. Lodging at South Mineral
                  in a tent is free but I did pay $15/night at the
                  Leadville Hostel when I trained there for a while.

                  I teach at a university so I get summers off, and I
                  spent 17 days at altitude before Hardrock. I think 2
                  weeks is the minimum for a good race (i.e. finishing).
                  Some people can get away without acclimating, but
                  most can't. I think 2 weeks sleeping at 10,000 ft.
                  and climbing to 14,000 every day can take at least 6
                  hours off your time, which for a lot of people makes
                  the difference between finishing and not finishing.

                  I also ran the Sawyer Mt. 27 mile trail race in NM on
                  July 1 and the Leadville marathon on July 7. I also
                  climbed 7 14ers. This was a lot of money to spend,
                  but I think it was worth it, not just for Hardrock but
                  for the whole trip. I will be spending about as much
                  again for Nolan's 14 on a trip Aug. 3-20.

                  =====

                  http://phonecard.yahoo.com/