[hr100] Re: Another Rookie's Question

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 24, 2000
      --- "William E. Rideg" <wmez@...> wrote:
      > Hi All,
      > I would like to hear about the final 25
      > miles

      It is hell. If it takes you 30 hours to get to
      Telluride (75 miles), expect it to take the remaining
      18 hours to finish.

      My biggest problem in '98 was that I could no longer
      think clearly on my second sleepless night, and kept
      getting lost. I lost an hour trying to find the trail
      up Grant-Swamp pass. On the other side it got dark
      and the markers were extremely difficult to find in
      the trackless tundra fields afterwards. I had to stop
      at each flag, and scan my flashlight to find the next
      one. I missed the turnoff from Ice Lake trail and
      descended a horrible 45-degree wooded slope guided
      only by the sound of the waterfall where I knew I had
      to cross. I found it, then missed the river crossing
      after the KT aid station by 1/4 mile, but a volunteer
      ran after me and turned me around. Finally after more
      scanning for flags on the 13,000 ft. plateau under a
      full moon and temps in the 20's at 2AM, I saw no more
      flags, and wandered aimlessly until sunrise, so I had
      a 51:38 DNF. I had no idea where I was even though I
      hiked exactly the same course a week earlier knowing
      full well that this would be the spot I would most
      likely get lost. It looks completely different in the
      dark.

      =====
      http://im.yahoo.com