RE: [hr100] HRH in the media

  • reno_debra@emc.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 20, 2001
      Dale,

      Thanks for the head's up on the programs.... While I was crawling on my
      hands and knees up the last pitch to Handies, I looked up and there was a
      cameraman right in my face shooting away.
      I think I probably looked about as bad as a runner can look at that moment-
      and I'm not talking about bad hair days!

      Anyway, most importantly, thanks for all that you did to make Hardrock such
      a special event.
      It was great to finally meet you and watch you in action. Your special way
      of greeting all the runners and the personal attention given to each
      finisher is just one of the ways that you excel as a Race Director. Quite a
      contrast to another 100 miler earlier this year, where there was literally
      no one at the finish line to meet runners coming in, and one friend of mine
      had to literally wake up the timer in order to record her finish. You
      epitomize all that is excellent about a good RD. Your humor and imagination
      made it just plain fun. Thanks for making it so special for all of us. I
      was privaledged to be at "Camp Hardrock"- even though it's going to "suck to
      be me" until next year when I can try again.

      I would like to mention in regards to the entry process that many of us were
      talking about it after the run, and thought that previous entrants should be
      given perhaps a week's advantage in the entry process, and then open the
      applications to everyone. Mail apps out to veterans a week in advance. Those
      who have run before have demonstrated their dedication to being there and
      running the race. I didn't know until someone said it this year that some
      people enter with the intention of only running halfway to Ouray.
      Those bums!

      Maybe there could be a "Hardrock Half" ("BabyRock?" "SissyRock"?)- a fifty
      miler with a separate start. (maybe an hour earlier, which wouldn't
      significantly change start times for the aid stations along the route)
      Runners would start at Silverton, finish at Ouray, and be responsible for
      their own ride back to the start.
      Well, it's an idea anyway.

      Thanks again, we all love ya,
      Deb r.
    • dale garland
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 21, 2001
        Thanks Deb!! I really do appreciate your comments! My "job" is pretty
        easy when I get the chance to work with such a great group of people
        (volunteers and runners)
        See ya' next July!
        Dale