HRH in the media

  • dale garland
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 20, 2001
      Hi Everybody,
      I hope everyone's lives are getting back to a normal state after an
      excellent weekend a week ago.
      On behalf of the entire Hardrock staff I'd like to thank you for coming
      to our "tour" of the San Juans. You all are an extraordinary group of
      people and it is a pleasure seeing all of you. We hope to see you next
      July (7/12-14).
      Many have asked about entry procedures for next year. We (the Board of
      Directors and myself) are going to
      come up with the entry procedures for the 2002 Hardrock hopefully by
      early September. We'll announce it on our website and thru the lists.
      You might have seen a lot of photographers on the course this year.
      They were shooting for National Geographic and Sports Illustrated.
      Tomorrow night (Saturday) at 11:30 p.m. EST CNN will be doing a piece on
      ultrarunning. I don't know how long the piece is but Hardrock will be a
      part of that piece. This weeks Sports Illustrated Adventure has an
      article on Hardrock. I haven't seen it yet but if you have access to
      that magazine, check it out. I don't know when the 8.5 minute piece that
      National Geographic is doing will be aired. It will be on their Explorer
      program. I was lead to believe by the camerman that it would be within
      the next couple of weeks. If anybody hears anything let me/us know.
      Again, thanks for a remarkable 2000 Hardrock!

      Dale G.
    • reno_debra@emc.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 20, 2001
        Dale,

        Thanks for the head's up on the programs.... While I was crawling on my
        hands and knees up the last pitch to Handies, I looked up and there was a
        cameraman right in my face shooting away.
        I think I probably looked about as bad as a runner can look at that moment-
        and I'm not talking about bad hair days!

        Anyway, most importantly, thanks for all that you did to make Hardrock such
        a special event.
        It was great to finally meet you and watch you in action. Your special way
        of greeting all the runners and the personal attention given to each
        finisher is just one of the ways that you excel as a Race Director. Quite a
        contrast to another 100 miler earlier this year, where there was literally
        no one at the finish line to meet runners coming in, and one friend of mine
        had to literally wake up the timer in order to record her finish. You
        epitomize all that is excellent about a good RD. Your humor and imagination
        made it just plain fun. Thanks for making it so special for all of us. I
        was privaledged to be at "Camp Hardrock"- even though it's going to "suck to
        be me" until next year when I can try again.

        I would like to mention in regards to the entry process that many of us were
        talking about it after the run, and thought that previous entrants should be
        given perhaps a week's advantage in the entry process, and then open the
        applications to everyone. Mail apps out to veterans a week in advance. Those
        who have run before have demonstrated their dedication to being there and
        running the race. I didn't know until someone said it this year that some
        people enter with the intention of only running halfway to Ouray.
        Those bums!

        Maybe there could be a "Hardrock Half" ("BabyRock?" "SissyRock"?)- a fifty
        miler with a separate start. (maybe an hour earlier, which wouldn't
        significantly change start times for the aid stations along the route)
        Runners would start at Silverton, finish at Ouray, and be responsible for
        their own ride back to the start.
        Well, it's an idea anyway.

        Thanks again, we all love ya,
        Deb r.
      • dale garland
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 21, 2001
          Thanks Deb!! I really do appreciate your comments! My "job" is pretty
          easy when I get the chance to work with such a great group of people
          (volunteers and runners)
          See ya' next July!
          Dale