Missing wolf-dog

  • Laura Turvey & Todd Burgess
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 5, 2001
      Gang,
      I am forwarding an email that went out to my trail-running club.
      Being that some of us are training in this area, maybe someone has come
      across this dog.
      If so, please call Steve. His numbers are listed at the end of this email.
      Thanks,
      Todd

      While backpacking in the South San Juan Wilderness this week, I lost Sam in
      the South San Juan Wilderness. Many of you know Sam. He's the wolfdog
      (Malamute/Husky/wolf) that I run with often (leaving early) on the Sunday
      runs. He's been missing since Monday, July 2nd, last seen near Green Lake,
      twelve miles from the South Fork Conejos Trailhead, 11 miles up FR250 off
      Colorado Highway 17, south of Alamosa. I searched for him up until yesterday
      (covered 40 miles yesterday alone), but have only a report of a lone "howl"
      from a backpacker on Tuesday night--this would likely be Sam as coyotes
      don't howl, and there are no wolves in the area).

      There is a lot of ground he could cover in the wilderness and I am hoping to
      get as many people as I can to help me look for him. It is a three and half
      hour drive to the trailhead, but the bonus is seeing an area of Colorado
      that is stunning in its beauty and remote wildness. The search will be
      primarily at 11,500 feet on the Continental Divide. Yesterday even as I
      searched in frustration I was constantly in thrall with the scenery. I saw
      so many elk I lost count, deer, and even a bear (friendly black bear). I
      hope that if we can blanket the area we will locate Sam. There were few
      backcountry backpackers in this area even over the 4th of July week.

      I am leaving tomorrow (Friday) by noon. Please call me if you can help and
      we can maybe carpool. If you can come for the weekend this will be a great
      help. Backpack in Saturday, then search Sunday. Running up the twelve mile
      trail (2,000 foot elevation gain 9,500 to 11,500) to Green Lake took me
      about two hours from the trailhead, so "car camping" is also an option.
      There is free primitive camping available by the trailhead or campgrounds
      nearby for a small fee.

      Please call me if you can help,

      Steve Bremner
      stevebremner@...
      (719)333-8742 (W) I will be at work today, Jul 5th
      (719)265-5600 (H)
      (719)330-7566 (C)

      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 5, 2001
        Suggestion: Leave an article of your clothing in the location where you last
        saw the dog. Check back each day. If he finds it he may stay there. Rob

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/